Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any real feedback on Nankang CRS v2?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 09:13 AM
Mvez
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 99 Posts

It definitely lays down a fast lap time. I think it's a little more peaky than a RE71RS or Trofeo-R, but the V2 seems more durable from my testing. Stiff sidewalls. It likes pressures on the lower end, or else the rear pressures on a 911 seem to balloon a bit, where the Trofeo-R/RE-71RS will be a bit more stable, once you set hot pressures, and you don't have to keep bleeding them as much.
When they get hot, the rear can definitely be more lively, but they still lay down good times with a decent amount of yaw/slip angle. So they are "fun" to drive on IMO.

Ultimately, it's a super-200 tire, that lays down super fast laps.

I was able to turn a 2:10 lap at NCM, on heat cycle 8, which is crazy fast for streetable track tire that you can drive to the track with. It could probably do a 2:09.XX lap on it "magic" first 1-2 heat cycles in ideal conditions. It's within about 0.5-1.0 sec of a Trofeo-R I'd say, which is really amazing.
The only great thing about the Trofeo-R is that the inside compound is harder and more durable for aggressive track camber, so it allows more street/track miles before the inside edge would ever cord, unlike the CRS, which can sometimes cord on the inside with really aggressive camber. The V2 though seems to be holding up better than the V1 in that respect.

I will def. keep buying them for my 991.2 GT3, and about to mount up a set for my 7.2RS for lap time testing.

The following 3 users liked this post by Mvez:
85Gold (04-27-2024), K.Zannos (04-27-2024), paradocs98 (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 09:22 AM
K.Zannos
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

As mentioned above, finally found some time to post this.

Hope it serves you with some more info on what you are looking for.

Best,
Konstantinos.
The following 4 users liked this post by K.Zannos:
Charcharius (04-27-2024), dbv1 (04-27-2024), Dreamer99 (04-27-2024), JCviggen (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 09:22 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,520 Likes on 572 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Zannos
The only thing i would debate is how much slower will the CRS actually be from the CUP2R and then - and equally importantly - for how long.
That is a nice mental exercise.

Lets assume that the CUP2R will be faster by 0.5 - 1 second, for the first heat cycle/stint and then i will make an assumption based on the experience i have had so far from the Cup2R and the sample i got from the CRS and say that this difference will drop to 0.
If this assumption stays true then it is a matter of trackday goal, budget and ego to decide which tire better suits the needs.

In the end, simply the fact that this tire is worth discussing and comparing against a high end tire like the Cup2R is definitely food for thought.
Out of curiosity, what kind of lap times were you doing?

I think a brand new sticky 2R probably has 1.5-2 seconds on it at Spa but this is very short lived. But I agree the longevity at Spa was super impressive on the Nankang since the track eats tires.

While struggling with traffic I have to extrapolate a little, in my 991.2 I would have got a 2:34.3 on half used 2R (probably 1-1.5s off max sticky new time) and a low 2:35 on the CR-S. I nearly managed to complete a quick lap without getting held up but then a very slow 981 blocked Blanchimont. Actual times with slowdowns were 2:35.5 and 2:36 respectively 2R / CR-S. At Spa I think a regular cup2 can match the Nankang albeit only over 1 lap before needing a cool down whereas the CR-S you can string a bunch of laps together and it keeps up the grip.

Last edited by JCviggen; 04-27-2024 at 09:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
paradocs98 (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 09:24 AM
K.Zannos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mvez
It definitely lays down a fast lap time. I think it's a little more peaky than a RE71RS or Trofeo-R, but the V2 seems more durable from my testing. Stiff sidewalls. It likes pressures on the lower end, or else the rear pressures on a 911 seem to balloon a bit, where the Trofeo-R/RE-71RS will be a bit more stable, once you set hot pressures, and you don't have to keep bleeding them as much.
When they get hot, the rear can definitely be more lively, but they still lay down good times with a decent amount of yaw/slip angle. So they are "fun" to drive on IMO.

Ultimately, it's a super-200 tire, that lays down super fast laps.

I was able to turn a 2:10 lap at NCM, on heat cycle 8, which is crazy fast for streetable track tire that you can drive to the track with. It could probably do a 2:09.XX lap on it "magic" first 1-2 heat cycles in ideal conditions. It's within about 0.5-1.0 sec of a Trofeo-R I'd say, which is really amazing.
The only great thing about the Trofeo-R is that the inside compound is harder and more durable for aggressive track camber, so it allows more street/track miles before the inside edge would ever cord, unlike the CRS, which can sometimes cord on the inside with really aggressive camber. The V2 though seems to be holding up better than the V1 in that respect.

I will def. keep buying them for my 991.2 GT3, and about to mount up a set for my 7.2RS for lap time testing.
Seems like you have had experience with the 1st version of the CRS which was not available to us here in Europe so looking forward to reading your input on how the inside lining on the V2 reacts.
Throw a mention for me when you do post if you want

Cheers,
Konstantinos.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:27 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
Thanks, bobodrink. Any other forum members have experience with these on track? Also interested in impressions of stock 992 GT3 sizing vs using the wider 265/325 combo on track.
I tried the 991 RS sizes in Cup2 with same compound as 992 OEM. I found them to be twitchy and less sharp in their response. The twitchiness felt like there there was a lateral spring that took longer to dampen out. I attribute that to the side wall either being a different design in the larger size, slight taller, or a bit too big for the OEM rim size. In any case, it was a step backwards in feel and time (but time was negligible).
paradocs98 (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 09:28 AM
K.Zannos
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Out of curiosity, what kind of lap times were you doing?

I think a brand new sticky 2R probably has 1.5-2 seconds on it at Spa but this is very short lived. But I agree the longevity at Spa was super impressive on the Nankang since the track eats tires.

While struggling with traffic I have to extrapolate a little, in my 991.2 I would have got a 2:34.3 on half used 2R (probably 1-1.5s off max sticky new time) and a low 2:35 on the CR-S. I nearly managed to complete a quick lap without getting held up but then a very slow 981 blocked Blanchimont. Actual times with showdowns were 2:35.5 and 2:36 respectively 2R / CR-S. At Spa I think a regular cup2 can match the Nankang albeit only over 1 lap before needing a cool down whereas the CR-S you can string a bunch of laps together and it keeps up the grip.
Have seen your laps and you certainly have me taking my hat off to you

Unfortunately as you will see on the video, i wasn't able to have any clean laps just like you, due to traffic and also the ideal laptimes are not representative as there was traffic even at those ideal sector times.

On a run i had done last year with the AR1, i had a run into the 2.34 until i had major slide into Bruxelles due to a setup change which wasn't right and then it tumbled to 2:36.
Looking forward to getting some clean laps and seeing realistically what the tire can do.

Any memory of the tire pressures you were running during the day you drove the CRS?

Thanks,
Konstantinos.
Old 04-27-2024, 09:30 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 548 Posts

Nankang CRS vs Michelin Cup2N Tire Test @ Spa Francorchamps

Best,
Konstantinos.
Thank-you, that was a very good comparison. Kudos.
K.Zannos (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 09:38 AM
K.Zannos
Advanced

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Thank-you, that was a very good comparison. Kudos.
Thank you for the great Vbox scene!! Looking sexy!
Old 04-27-2024, 10:04 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Any memory of the tire pressures you were running during the day you drove the
Oh sorry missed that bit 2.0-2.1 bar max, a bit lower going out of the pits.
Old 04-27-2024, 10:51 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Nankang CRS vs Michelin Cup2N Tire Test @ Spa Francorchamps

Best,
Konstantinos.

Superb video. Hope I run into you guys at the track some time (not literally )
Old 04-27-2024, 01:09 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,108 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
They make RE71RS in the 15” sizes for my 73 911 (but not the GT3). I’ve been using Toyo RA-1 on the 73 for decades. Maybe worth a change to the Bridgestones?
the RA1; was a great tire.
I ran them on my Lotus for 6 years
you could take them down to almost nothing and they still would grip.
they were cheap,a set was like 7-800 not 2000
GrantG (04-28-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 07:09 PM
paradocs98
Rennlist Member

Received 378 Likes on 181 Posts

A lot of good insight from everyone. Thanks, all. The CRS v2 must be getting popular as it’s unfortunately currently sold out in 992 GT3 sizing, complicated by the fact that shipping containers with new inventory have been held in port due to some snafu with NHTSA compliance paperwork. New CRS stock won’t be available for a few more weeks, so I went with Sport Cup 2 Rs for my early May event.
K.Zannos (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 02:22 AM
K.Zannos
Advanced

Originally Posted by JCviggen
Superb video. Hope I run into you guys at the track some time (not literally )
Let's keep the contact out of track indeed

Will be there in September for the RMA days (as well as tomorrow and Tuesday) as we are the ones doing the coach allocation for their trackdays.

Feel free to send an email at info@wdp-racing.com and i can send you my number

Best,
Konstantinos.

JCviggen (04-28-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 11:30 AM
SapphireBlue981S
Instructor

Received 309 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by paradocs98
A lot of good insight from everyone. Thanks, all. The CRS v2 must be getting popular as it’s unfortunately currently sold out in 992 GT3 sizing, complicated by the fact that shipping containers with new inventory have been held in port due to some snafu with NHTSA compliance paperwork. New CRS stock won’t be available for a few more weeks, so I went with Sport Cup 2 Rs for my early May event.
I had been waiting for the CRS v2 for 6 weeks and since they were on back order i went with the CRS v1. I've done 1,000 street miles and 3 track days (14 sessions) so far and am impressed. Most recently at Watkins Glen I was able to cut about 3 seconds off my previous lap times on OEM street P Zeroes on a 992 Carrera T manual. The CRS v1 held up during the session targeting 30psi hot and was able to do a consistent 2:07-2:08 at Watkins Glen without pushing hard. I likely would have gotten into the 2:05s if that green GT3RS didn't slow down on corner exit before pointing me by!

Old 05-15-2024, 12:53 AM
srwhitman
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Konstantinos,
Just watched your video - great presentation. When I first got my 991.2 GT3, I had Dunlop Race Maxx 2 and then went to the Michelin's. I thought those were very good at the time. Then I went off and tasted the forbidden fruit - the Pirelli Trofeo R. Fantastic tire, still probably my favorite, but does not last long and is pricey. Next I tried the Goodyear Supercar 3R. Those seem to hit the sweet spot - great tire, more longevity than the Trofeo R (ok, not by much) and fantastic performance. But, they stopped making the 3R in sizes for my car. So what to do? Buy a set of 19" wheels! I got those with 2 sets (one slightly used) of the Nanking AR-1. They seemed to be a very good tire as well - hard for me to tell but maybe as good as the 3R (or at least close). Problem - the AR-1's are pretty noisy on the road. That is fine driving to my local track (COTA) but not fine when I want to drive 3 hours to ECR. Enter my next thought is to try the CR-S. A guy at my last track day thought that while they are rated as 200 tw, he liked them better than the AR-1 and he also thought the sizing was slightly wider. Not comparable to what you have since we're talking 19" on a 991.2 GT3.
At the end of your video, you said something about liking the AR-1 but I am not sure how you would compare to the CR-S so maybe you can comment on that?
Also, not sure if you have the Goodyear Supercar 3R in Europe but if you do, can you compare the CR-S against those and/or the Trofeo R?
In the US, it seems there is some sort of hold up in buying the CR-S due to some fouled up paperwork submitted to NHTSA - https://philstireservice.com/product/nankang-cr-s-v2/

Scott

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Any real feedback on Nankang CRS v2?