Sponsored by:

Recent manufacturing delays?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 11:53 PM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Lots more delays due to the wrong chip being installed.

USA and CDN 911 recently all seem to be affected.

Apparently one of the chips in a module is on a sanction list, the module has to be switched out.

My SA has 4 cars this month that they can’t hand over.

There is rumours that some cars are being rerouted to different markets. I’d assume stuff that doesn’t have a buyer yet.
If its already past customs its fair game to lose the deal.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:05 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 972 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
If its already past customs its fair game to lose the deal.

Not sure what you mean?

apparently cars are behind held at German, USA and CDN ports.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:07 AM
Justaroofer
Banned

Received 470 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
Not sure what you mean?

apparently cars are behind held at German, USA and CDN ports.
Right. As long as the units are out of the ports it can be sold. Even the chips in question.
Old 02-10-2024, 02:45 AM
A418t81
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 106 Posts

I did ED on my RS on the 6th and already have the email from Porsche that my delivery will be impacted by the embargoed chips. I haven’t even left Europe yet.
Old 02-10-2024, 04:01 AM
av12345
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Justaroofer
Right. As long as the units are out of the ports it can be sold. Even the chips in question.
Im not sure what your comment has to do with what was said. He was talking about cars being rerouted to other markets with the original chips where those markets don’t have the sanctions.
The following users liked this post:
Diablo Dude (02-10-2024)
Old 02-10-2024, 05:21 AM
tvasbn
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 30 Posts

Im curious in this case what other countries are LHD and use miles not km.
Old 02-10-2024, 12:10 PM
BOCO
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Dear Mr,

We are writing to inform you that your car has unfortunately been delayed in its journey through the ports to your Porsche Center.

At issue is a small electronic component that is a part of a larger control unit, which will be replaced. The work itself is straightforward and parts have begun to arrive in the US already. We expect that your car will begin its journey to your Porsche Center soon.

We appreciate your patience and understanding and apologize for the necessary and unavoidable delay. Looking ahead, our priority will be providing you with further updates as new information becomes available.

In the meantime, should you have further questions please contact your local Porsche Center or contact Porsche Cars North America at 1-800-Porsche (1-800-767-7243).

With kind regards,

Porsche Cars North America

Got this e-mail from Porsche. My 3RS arrived in Houston on Monday and should have been on a truck by now. We will see how long this takes, as some have said.it could be mid April. Not happy about the car sitting at the port for three months. It will need an oil change before I take delivery.
ADgts40 (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 01:53 PM
chicswa
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I received the same massage on Friday, Feb 9th. 911 build complete 05/12/2023 and arrived at the port on 06/12/2023. Delivery scheduled for mid January to Texas. This date was changed twice and now "track your dream" states information not available. I was advised by customer relations to expect an April delivery. The car has now been at the port for over two months and looks like at least another 6 weeks before it's on a boat. Concerned about the 911 sitting outside for 3+ months and also curious how involved the "chip" change is. Can anyone detail what MX is required to change the "chip".

Thanks for your help,

Frustrated in Texas...CPL
Old 02-11-2024, 01:56 PM
3-Pedals
Rennlist Member

Received 1,574 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by chicswa
Hello,

I received the same massage on Friday, Feb 9th. 911 build complete 05/12/2023 and arrived at the port on 06/12/2023. Delivery scheduled for mid January to Texas. This date was changed twice and now "track your dream" states information not available. I was advised by customer relations to expect an April delivery. The car has now been at the port for over two months and looks like at least another 6 weeks before it's on a boat. Concerned about the 911 sitting outside for 3+ months and also curious how involved the "chip" change is. Can anyone detail what MX is required to change the "chip".

Thanks for your help,

Every single person I know whose car sat outside for months (either in Emden or stateside customs) has had some form of post delivery problems. Unresolved electrical problems, corrosion, paint issues, and bunch of other things like sound deadening inside doors falling apart from god knows what. My sample size is a little over 10 cars ranging from 911 (gt3, tts, gts), to 718, to taycan, and to macan. Cars dont like to sit that long and definitely not by water, period.
chicswa (02-11-2024)
Old 02-11-2024, 03:56 PM
chicswa
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Every single person I know whose car sat outside for months (either in Emden or stateside customs) has had some form of post delivery problems. Unresolved electrical problems, corrosion, paint issues, and bunch of other things like sound deadening inside doors falling apart from god knows what. My sample size is a little over 10 cars ranging from 911 (gt3, tts, gts), to 718, to taycan, and to macan. Cars dont like to sit that long and definitely not by water, period.
Thanks for the prompt reply. I have the same concerns and will update this thread if I receive additional info.

CPL
Old 02-14-2024, 06:47 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 408 Posts

Some interesting details from an article in the FT today.

https://www.ft.com/content/ab63cc9b-...2-8f63e5c06eba

Thousands of Porsche, Bentley and Audi cars have been impounded in US ports after a supplier to parent group Volkswagen found a Chinese subcomponent in the vehicles that breached anti-forced labour laws.

According to two people with knowledge of the matter, the carmaker has delayed delivery of the vehicles until as late as the end of March as it replaces an electronic component that was found to have come from "western China".

The people stressed that VW was not aware of the origin of the part, which was sourced by an indirect supplier further down its supply chain, until the supplier alerted it to the issue.

They added that VW notified US authorities as soon as it was made aware of the part's origin.

US-China relations remain mired in their worst state since the countries established diplomatic ties in 1979. But Washington and Beijing have been trying to stabilise their relationship following the summit that President Joe Biden and his Chinese counterpart Xi Jinping held in San Francisco in November.

The US prohibits the import of products that have been made with forced labour in the western Xinjiang region and other areas in China under the Uyghur Forced Labor Prevention Act of 2021.

The people would not confirm whether the part in question was produced in Xinjiang itself.

The issue affects about 1,000 Porsche sports cars and SUVs, several hundred Bentleys, and several thousand Audi vehicles, according to people briefed on the details.

In a statement, VW said it "takes allegations of infringements of human rights very seriously, both within the company and in the supply chain" including "any allegations of forced labour".

It added: "As soon as we received information of allegations regarding one of our sub-suppliers, we have been investigating the matter. We will clarify the facts and then take appropriate steps. These may also include the termination of a supplier relationship if our investigations confirm serious violations."

Questions around forced labour found within its Chinese supply chain are particularly sensitive for VW, which has been facing mounting pressure from human rights groups and investors alike over a facility it jointly owns in Xinjiang's capital, Urumqi.

The German car company on Wednesday said it would discuss "the future direction of business" in the Xinjiang region with its Chinese joint venture partner SAIC, following the publication of fresh allegations of forced labour in German media.

Chinese officials have defended work programmes in the region as helping employment, but the UN's top human rights body has said China's actions may constitute "crimes against humanity".

A Human Rights Watch report this month warned that carmakers were at risk of buying aluminium produced by victims of forced labour in the region.

VW is balancing falling sales in China with a desire to increase its presence in the US at a time of growing political tension between the two countries.

In mid-January, VW discovered that some of its luxury cars bound for North America contained a part that was not compliant with US customs rules, two people with knowledge of the matter said.

The part had been sourced by a supplier further down the company's supply chain and not by VW directly, according to the people. Typically carmakers deal directly with their largest suppliers and may sometimes be unaware of the provenance of smaller parts produced by other businesses further down the supply chain.

A letter from VW to waiting customers blamed "a small electronic component that is a part of a larger control unit, which will be replaced", but did not specify the origin of the part.

With the approval of US customs authorities, the company ordered replacement electronic modules, and had already begun fixing cars, two people said. While some were fixed last week, the backlog is unlikely to be cleared until at least next month.

Swapping the modules is relatively straightforward and does not require the disassembly of the vehicles, although some more complicated models might take several hours to fix, according to people with knowledge of the process.
The following 2 users liked this post by signes:
ADgts40 (02-14-2024), Captain Scurry (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 10:57 PM
jjw285
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by chicswa
Hello,

Thanks for your help,

You've been waiting since....LAST MAY??!?! Why is it taking so long? That is painful. Are there unique circumstances?

I have ED in April, I'm starting to wonder if I'll have my car at all during the summer months...
Old 02-14-2024, 11:56 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by jjw285
You've been waiting since....LAST MAY??!?! Why is it taking so long? That is painful. Are there unique circumstances?
. . . . ....
Um, re read the first sentence. Month is Dec.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:14 AM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 517 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
USA = mm/dd/yyyy
Most other places = dd/mm/yyyy

Explains the confusion. As someone who grew up in lots of place and now settled in the USA, you can imagine the context switching all the damn time.
GT3 Mike (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 08:20 AM
jjw285
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain P
USA = mm/dd/yyyy
Most other places = dd/mm/yyyy

Explains the confusion. As someone who grew up in lots of place and now settled in the USA, you can imagine the context switching all the damn time.
Originally Posted by CarManDSL
I mean, he said he is in Texas, so I wasn’t expecting European date format…

Quick Reply: Recent manufacturing delays?