Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New car release for 75th Anniversary? What a complete bust....

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2023, 12:17 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by brake dust
Agree It's Déjà vu all over again. Porsche did this in the old Grand Am series with poor results too. This time they had the option to do it right and develop their own car with their own technology and went the cheap route instead. From a corporation stand point, there is virtually no technology transfer from race to road cars either, since most of the components are spec parts from suppliers.
They have made their bed with their LMDh and Penske choices.

I was messaging (politely) with Walliser a bit during the race (I went to most IMSA races when he was in charge of the factory GT motorsport effort and got to know him a bit), and I have a few friends who were at Le Mans in the VIP setup at the Experience Center next to the Ford Chicane. A pretty morose scene from the firsthand accounts, especially after the 75 retired and the Jota car had its big off at the Porsche Curves.

It’s just my opinion, of course, but I the company to me - and particularly the Porsche “brand” - are very different propositions to what was the case even 5 years ago. I have Rennsport Reunion tickets, but I will probably sell them - I’ve lost interest.
The following 3 users liked this post by Guest89:
brake dust (06-14-2023), richk (06-14-2023), RobbieRob (06-14-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 01:39 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 172 Posts

^^Let me know if you want to get rid of a corral pass. I waited too long and they are all sold out.
The following users liked this post:
Guest89 (06-15-2023)
Old 06-14-2023, 07:01 AM
brake dust
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
They have made their bed with their LMDh and Penske choices.

I was messaging (politely) with Walliser a bit during the race (I went to most IMSA races when he was in charge of the factory GT motorsport effort and got to know him a bit), and I have a few friends who were at Le Mans in the VIP setup at the Experience Center next to the Ford Chicane. A pretty morose scene from the firsthand accounts, especially after the 75 retired and the Jota car had its big off at the Porsche Curves.

It’s just my opinion, of course, but I the company to me - and particularly the Porsche “brand” - are very different propositions to what was the case even 5 years ago. I have Rennsport Reunion tickets, but I will probably sell them - I’ve lost interest.
Still don't know why several years ago Porsche had a major shake up of their drivers. Letting Tandy and Bamber go was a head scratcher. Two of their best drivers.
Diablo Dude (06-14-2023)
Old 06-15-2023, 12:44 AM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
^^Let me know if you want to get rid of a corral pass. I waited too long and they are all sold out.
Tell you what; set yourself a calendar reminder and we’ll circle back on this. Mine is a 991 GT3, and I can’t recall if the corral pass is specific to the generation or not.

If we make a deal, I’ll obviously sell it to you at face value.

Originally Posted by brake dust
Still don't know why several years ago Porsche had a major shake up of their drivers. Letting Tandy and Bamber go was a head scratcher. Two of their best drivers.
I know both drivers a bit; I’ve probably spent a few hours chatting with them over the years. I got drunk with Nick (and a few others) after Porsche won Petit Le Mans overall in 2015. I had a few beers with Earl after the Road America race in 2018 or 2019 (he was staying for a Michelin tire test the day after the race, and I was killing time before driving back to Chicago).

Porsche was happy to let Earl go, and he was more or less happy to be gone. He lived in Kuala Lumpur for awhile but now lives in Nashville. I was in Caddy hospitality last year at Petit Le Mans (same location that Porsche used to have, overall setup very similar to Porsche’s, price ~1/6 of what Porsche charges now!) and hung out with some of his friends from Nashville.

Nick is back with Porsche and was *technically* on loan to GM.
Old 06-18-2023, 02:50 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,257 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Blondie:

Old 06-18-2023, 04:02 PM
BigRed911
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

EVs are a joke to a purist. Porsche is following suit and catering to the pressures of the global enlists driving the EVs down our throats.
Old 06-18-2023, 04:45 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,074 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRed911
EVs are a joke to a purist. Porsche is following suit and catering to the pressures of the global enlists driving the EVs down our throats.
I’m not an EV guy, but I don’t feel as though EV’s are being driven down my throat - if I don’t want one, I won’t buy one.

If at some point they make an EV that is attractive to me, I will considering buying one…
Old 06-18-2023, 05:29 PM
BHSAAA
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 31 Posts

When states like CA (and others) say all new cars must be electric by 2035, hard to not feel it’s being shoved down the throat. Don’t get me wrong, I love the straight line of a Plaid or Taycan Turbo, but they are much more practical for the around town trips and the eco benefits are overstated and the eco costs understated. It was pretty funny that the day after CA announced the mandate they asked owners of electric cars to reduce charging so the grid wouldn’t fail.
Old 06-18-2023, 05:43 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by BHSAAA
When states like CA (and others) say all new cars must be electric by 2035, hard to not feel it’s being shoved down the throat. Don’t get me wrong, I love the straight line of a Plaid or Taycan Turbo, but they are much more practical for the around town trips and the eco benefits are overstated and the eco costs understated. It was pretty funny that the day after CA announced the mandate they asked owners of electric cars to reduce charging so the grid wouldn’t fail.
What other states have said this?

Besides the way SF, especially, is going, will anyone be living in CA in 2035?
Old 06-18-2023, 06:46 PM
soulsea
Rennlist Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 535 Posts

At some point all car companies will simply be interior/exterior designers and will depend even more on marketing over driving dynamics.

People will pay more for one brand over another the same way people do for Sub-Zero/Viking over KitchenAid, but the food that comes out of either doesn't taste any different.
orwell (06-27-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 08:29 PM
BHSAAA
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort

New York, the federal EPA rules proposed to manufacturers are so strict 2/3 of new cars in US would need to be EV. Did I mention the European Union has the same 2035 mandate….
orwell (06-27-2023)
Old 06-18-2023, 08:33 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,247 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by BHSAAA
New York, the federal EPA rules proposed to manufacturers are so strict 2/3 of new cars in US would need to be EV. Did I mention the European Union has the same 2035 mandate….
Well, what % of cars are high performance cars? 3% of sales? Sounds like this market is just fine with those regs.

And who cares about the EU? Porsche is still making the Cayenne TGT even though it’s not available now in the EU because of these regs.

The US, China, and Middle East will provide enough demand for NA cars even if EU and CA bail on them.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:52 PM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort

I'm 4th generation.
They can bury me in my NA car here.

I will still be living in the world's 5 largest economy with $3.6 Trillion GDP and driving my NA cars on some of the greatest roads you can imagine.
Great craft beer, great food, good tunes, good weather, and NA is all I need. I feel fortunate to have gone to F1 races when the engines were still NA.
And a buddy in Carmel that I can hang with during Rennsport Reunion.

Last edited by Diablo Dude; 06-18-2023 at 09:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Diablo Dude:
96redLT4 (06-19-2023), orwell (06-27-2023), raymort (06-18-2023)

Quick Reply: New car release for 75th Anniversary? What a complete bust....