Sponsored by:

CEL for P0089 -

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 06:17 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 432 Likes on 229 Posts
Default CEL for P0089 -

Got an engine control error yesterday right after start up and again in traffic and ultimately threw a P0089. Stock under 1,000 miles.
Cleared it this morning and did a short drive on an errand just now and on the way back another CEL - three DTCs all P0089 fuel pressure regulator 'A'
I know this is an issue with other models in the past.
I guess I will start the take it to the dealer process - but location wise its a bit of a PITA for me.

Any forum wisdom yet on this for the 992 GT3s to help me streamline the process? Wait a tank of gas? Tell them I need a new pump and regulator? Just sell the car and get something nicer?
Old 05-17-2023, 06:38 PM
jayely1
Pro

Received 197 Likes on 106 Posts

Off subject a bit, but what OBD2 reader do you use to get this info?
Old 05-17-2023, 06:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 365 Likes on 221 Posts

That sounds to me like a generic description of an OBD2 DTC. That also makes me think you have read and cleared the code using a generic OBD2 code reader.
This is how it works : government comes up with this OBD2 universal port in order to have anyone being able to read emission related DTCs. Manufacturers comply because they have no choice,however they do everything in their power to bend the rules so that you would end up bringing the car to their dealer network so they can make the money. The dealer network is the manufacturer's client,not you. Every corporate meeting between the 2 sides goes like this : " you have to make the cars more complicated so that nobody but us can work on them. You also have to make them with planned obsolescence as your number one goal ".
What's my point : the description of an OBD2 generic code can be misleading and reading that same code with a scanner capable of interpreting manufacturer related codes can sound totally different.
The following users liked this post:
rodneyr (10-28-2023)
Old 05-17-2023, 11:06 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Orca911
Got an engine control error yesterday right after start up and again in traffic and ultimately threw a P0089. Stock under 1,000 miles.
Cleared it this morning and did a short drive on an errand just now and on the way back another CEL - three DTCs all P0089 fuel pressure regulator 'A'
I know this is an issue with other models in the past.
I guess I will start the take it to the dealer process - but location wise its a bit of a PITA for me.

Any forum wisdom yet on this for the 992 GT3s to help me streamline the process? Wait a tank of gas? Tell them I need a new pump and regulator? Just sell the car and get something nicer?
my car has been in the shop for a week on this. I read somewhere on this board that it’s a software issue and there should be an update coming. My dealer told me I had the same fuel pressure regulator issue.

I have a track day coming so error or not it’s gonna be there!
Old 05-18-2023, 11:10 AM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Off subject a bit, but what OBD2 reader do you use to get this info?
After reading a ton of threads I bought the Ancel AD530 scanner from Amazon for about $50. It reads and clears codes. As noted below its not PIWIS, its not bi-directional. But let me see quickly if I am dealing with mis-fires, fueling, an evap code etc. So valuable in my use case because (a) let's me see if its a one off issues (bad gas/cap), and (b) let's me help work with the dealer a bit in advance of parking the car there for a month...

Originally Posted by neanicu
That sounds to me like a generic description of an OBD2 DTC. That also makes me think you have read and cleared the code using a generic OBD2 code reader.
100% agree - this is a generic code. But doing some searching the initial Porsche service answer is "fuel pressure regulator" while it sounds like for some the real answer is replace the fuel pump.
I am just trying to understand if/what has been root cause for others so I can limit down time with a dealer doing their own independent journey of discovery. I have had some highly modified cars, and fueling in my experience has always been the toughest thing to get dialed in on the engine management side. I was not expecting to be playing this game with a stock GT3....but here we are.
Old 05-18-2023, 11:12 AM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jlee504
my car has been in the shop for a week on this. I read somewhere on this board that it’s a software issue and there should be an update coming. My dealer told me I had the same fuel pressure regulator issue.
I have a track day coming so error or not it’s gonna be there!
Please update when you learn more? I am kind of skeptical about it being software -- but hopefully that's an easy fix.
Are they giving you the car back while you wait on software. Any thing you can share on this appreciated!
Old 05-18-2023, 03:17 PM
TurboSF
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 19 Posts

For what it’s worth, I had the same cel and my car was in for the first service last week and they confirmed it was a software issue and that the software update they did on the car supposedly takes care of the issue. No reason to doubt them but ymmv.
The following users liked this post:
Orca911 (05-18-2023)
Old 05-18-2023, 03:25 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TurboSF
For what it’s worth, I had the same cel and my car was in for the first service last week and they confirmed it was a software issue and that the software update they did on the car supposedly takes care of the issue. No reason to doubt them but ymmv.
Thanks for this! This is really helpful to guide the service department. Maybe I can do this in a single day together with an alignment.
Hope you get it sorted out. I doubt everyone....its an exhausting existence.
Old 05-19-2023, 05:17 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

they did the software update on mine but it didn't fix it so now they ordered a new fuel pump which hopefully gets installed next week. I got the car back today just so I can complete the break in period and I think its in limp mode...

Old 05-19-2023, 06:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Sounds to me they are just guessing at this point. If the generic description of this DTC is accurate then using logic,the engine computer is programmed to recognize 2 fuel systems,A and B,one for left bank and the other for the right bank. From what I've seen on modern cars,the engine computer is monitoring fuel pressure only on the high pressure side. So why would a weak in-tank fuel pump that is responsible for bringing the fuel up to the engine on the low side,create a problem on 1 bank only?
To be honest,I'd buy the software update theory much better,especially since there's a separate fuel pump control module which controls the fuel pump using a pulse width modulated signal and communicates directly to the engine computer.
But let them replace 10-11 parts,eventually they will replace the right one or get help from the Porsche tech line,which will have them replace 3-4 more parts...
Old 05-19-2023, 07:51 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

I had a good conversation with service manager at my dealership today. He knew exactly the problem. Quoted me the full DTC against the generic P0089. They have another GT3 there for same thing.
According to this conversation the current fix is a new low pressure fuel pump. A software update is pending but not available yet. I asked if I wait on fueling tweak will new part be necessary and answer was "probably not" but not 100% sure...we were speculating together.
I have no reason to doubt any of this....he seemed pretty up the curve but his information was new too - so take this with grain of salt.
just passing this along as this is definitely a known issue.

Last edited by Orca911; 05-19-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:00 PM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

I had a good conversation with service manager at my dealership today. He knew exactly the problem. Quoted me the full DTC against the generic P0089. They have another GT3 there for same thing.
According to this conversation the current fix is a new low pressure fuel pump. A software update is pending but not available yet. I asked if I wait on fueling tweak will new part be necessary and answer was "probably not" but not 100% sure...we were speculating together.
I have no reason to doubt any of this....he seemed pretty up the curve but his information was new too - so take this with grain of salt.
I was told the same, but you are saying even with the new fuel pump we have to wait for a software update to work with the new pump?

Old 05-19-2023, 08:01 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Perhaps,if you're willing,you should ask him to explain in layman's terms why he came up to that conclusion...(besides guessing)
Old 05-19-2023, 08:06 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Sorry,just realized you were talking to the service manager...if he weren't a technician in a " past life " you are just wasting your breath...
Old 05-19-2023, 08:20 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
Perhaps,if you're willing,you should ask him to explain in layman's terms why he came up to that conclusion...(besides guessing)
it was based on a converstion of modding fueling on other cars. I had a heavily modified B5 S4 and before that an E36 M3 and spent endless hours chasing software tweaks to suppport different fueling and almost always traded off issues at idle for safety at high rpms.
he had similar situation in the WRX world.
But truly speculation so fat...but in retrosepct i agree that it would make sense to tell the low pressure fuel pump to send more or less to prevent getting out of range.

But when I get the car in I'll post what better info I learn

Quick Reply: CEL for P0089 -