Sponsored by:

992 RS Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 04:50 PM
GtErik
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Hinz Motorsport
There is no formal comparison of the stock PCCB pads vs RSC1s I have come across. I sell alot of these and feedback has been very good and pretty much unanimous across the board, the new OE pads just aren't that good. RSC1 is a great dual-use pad and is better in virtually every way. Noiseless and dustless on the street, and as I have said before, lap record capable on track. To avoid any confusion, RSC1 is for ceramic discs, not irons. I have heard pros and cons on the Manthey pads, but based on everything I still think RSC1 is the best pad as it is readily available and performs well. RSC1 is also our go-to pad with the Surface Transforms ceramic discs we import, and all of my customers have been very pleased with it. For those that are track only the RS29 or RSL1 is also recommended.
isn’t Manthey and RSC1 the same?
Old 10-17-2023, 05:27 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by GtErik
isn’t Manthey and RSC1 the same?
No, I have been told they are different, and if I recall the Mathey pads are harsher on rotors as well. I'm guessing it is more of a cross between RSC2 and RSC3, which are aggressive, but can't say for certain. This also doesn't account for any changes they have made to the compound more recently (if any).

HINZ MOTORSPORT
Race Parts & Accessories for your PORSCHE
www.HinzMotorsport.com
Call: 414-212-5679
Email: rick@hinzmotorsport.com
The following users liked this post:
saksride (10-21-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 05:33 PM
GtErik
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

No, I have been told they are different, and if I recall the Mathey pads are harsher on rotors as well. I'm guessing it is more of a cross between RSC2 and RSC3, which are aggressive, but can't say for certain. This also doesn't account for any changes they have made to the compound more recently (if any).
Really interesting, I have been told that the Manthey pads should be kind to rotors, one of the reason Porsche are ok with them. But I can’t confirm this
Old 10-17-2023, 07:39 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 339 Likes on 176 Posts

If anyone ends up running Manthey pads and Pagid RSC1 pads, please post your comparison.
TRAKCAR (10-21-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 02:03 AM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts

There is no formal comparison of the stock PCCB pads vs RSC1s I have come across. I sell alot of these and feedback has been very good and pretty much unanimous across the board, the new OE pads just aren't that good. RSC1 is a great dual-use pad and is better in virtually every way. Noiseless and dustless on the street, and as I have said before, lap record capable on track. To avoid any confusion, RSC1 is for ceramic discs, not irons. I have heard pros and cons on the Manthey pads, but based on everything I still think RSC1 is the best pad as it is readily available and performs well. RSC1 is also our go-to pad with the Surface Transforms ceramic discs we import, and all of my customers have been very pleased with it. For those that are track only the RS29 or RSL1 is also recommended.
What are your thoughts swapping the PCCB's out for AP Racing . Wouldn't they be lighter and higher performance. I see you also sell these.
Old 10-18-2023, 08:26 AM
saksride
Advanced

Received 65 Likes on 35 Posts

Can't wait for mine!
Rick at Hinz is Awesome.
Bought ST set up with the RS29's.
Club on 10/28... can't wait to see what diff is from what I got.

Current
Steel Stock rotors
Ferodo DS3.12 all around
Endless Fluid
So much better than stock pads, stock definitely glaze over, only took 1 track day on stock pads even with fluid change.
But I can say this about set up, handled some serious braking and times on Glen and Palmer.
Hinz Motorsport (10-18-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 03:25 PM
Hinz Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by lockie
What are your thoughts swapping the PCCB's out for AP Racing . Wouldn't they be lighter and higher performance. I see you also sell these.
This depends on your usage and what you value most. If you don't care about noise or copious amounts of dust, then switching to iron isn't a bad option if you are tracking heavily. New PCCBs are much better than they used to be, so some track use is totally okay. Do you need to run smaller wheels/tires? Do you not like the brake feel? Do you want to keep your PCCBs minty fresh for resale? It all factors into the decision process.

As far as weight savings go, switching to Iron discs will never be lighter than ceramic discs. I don't have all of the weights for the AP kit in front of me, but if we compare a 992 GT3 AP Racing 380mm iron rear disc that I have in stock with a 992 GT3 Surface Transforms 380mm ceramic rear disc (which now mimics or sizes) you have as follows:
Iron
Stock 380mm 992 GT3 Iron Rear: 23.9 lbs
AP Racing 380mm 992 GT3 Iron Rear: 23.5 lbs
PFC 380mm 992 GT3 Iron Disc: 20.5 lbs
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ceramics
Surface Transforms 380mm Carbon Ceramic (Iron Replacement) 992 GT3 Rear: 11.4 lbs
Surface Transforms 390mm Carbon Ceramic (PCCB Replacement) 992 GT3 Rear: 12.5 lbs
Factory 390mm Rear PCCB Disc: 14 lbs

As you can see, the ceramic discs are significantly lighter than their iron counterparts. On a 992 GT3/RS with iron discs, you are looking at saving nearly 45 lbs of unsprung, rotating mass by switching to STs. The AP or PFC kits do gain some of that back as their calipers are about 3 lbs lighter per corner, which is unsprung mass, (but not rotating). There are many reasons to switch to an AP or PFC kit in lieu of PCCBs, but weight savings will not be one of them.

Performance-wise, upgrading to an AP/Essex kit or a PFC kit can have numerous benefits. For starters, if you spring for the Wider CP9668 caliper which can house 25mm thick pads, your pad life will increase significantly thus dropping your consumeable costs. The AP and PFC calipers are also much stiffer than the factory calipers, which help apply more even pressure across the disc surface, reducing localized thermal stress. Your brakes will be much more consistent from the first lap to the last. You also open up your wheel and tire options nicely, if you want to drop down to a 19" wheel. Your brakes will also run much cooler than stock.

That said, this is all relatively generic information, and every situation is different. If you can expand a bit further on what your goals and needs are for your brakes, I can try and identify the best solution for you. Ceramics might be better suited for you, or perhaps a BBK makes more sense. Or maybe you are fine and just need new pads! There are so many variables that go into this decision. Feel free to contact me (or reply here) and we can chat at length!
aap1 (04-21-2024)
Old 10-20-2023, 12:21 AM
lockie
Rennlist Member

This depends on your usage and what you value most. If you don't care about noise or copious amounts of dust, then switching to iron isn't a bad option if you are tracking heavily. New PCCBs are much better than they used to be, so some track use is totally okay. Do you need to run smaller wheels/tires? Do you not like the brake feel? Do you want to keep your PCCBs minty fresh for resale? It all factors into the decision process.

As far as weight savings go, switching to Iron discs will never be lighter than ceramic discs. I don't have all of the weights for the AP kit in front of me, but if we compare a 992 GT3 AP Racing 380mm iron rear disc that I have in stock with a 992 GT3 Surface Transforms 380mm ceramic rear disc (which now mimics or sizes) you have as follows:
Iron
Ceramics
Surface Transforms 380mm Carbon Ceramic (Iron Replacement) 992 GT3 Rear: 11.4 lbs
Surface Transforms 390mm Carbon Ceramic (PCCB Replacement) 992 GT3 Rear: 12.5 lbs

As you can see, the ceramic discs are significantly lighter than their iron counterparts. On a 992 GT3/RS with iron discs, you are looking at saving nearly 45 lbs of unsprung, rotating mass by switching to STs. The AP or PFC kits do gain some of that back as their calipers are about 3 lbs lighter per corner, which is unsprung mass, (but not rotating). There are many reasons to switch to an AP or PFC kit in lieu of PCCBs, but weight savings will not be one of them.

Performance-wise, upgrading to an AP/Essex kit or a PFC kit can have numerous benefits. For starters, if you spring for the Wider CP9668 caliper which can house 25mm thick pads, your pad life will increase significantly thus dropping your consumeable costs. The AP and PFC calipers are also much stiffer than the factory calipers, which help apply more even pressure across the disc surface, reducing localized thermal stress. Your brakes will be much more consistent from the first lap to the last. You also open up your wheel and tire options nicely, if you want to drop down to a 19" wheel. Your brakes will also run much cooler than stock.

That said, this is all relatively generic information, and every situation is different. If you can expand a bit further on what your goals and needs are for your brakes, I can try and identify the best solution for you. Ceramics might be better suited for you, or perhaps a BBK makes more sense. Or maybe you are fine and just need new pads! There are so many variables that go into this decision. Feel free to contact me (or reply here) and we can chat at length!
Thank you for such a comprehensive answer. I really appreciate the detail. I will give you a call next week. You just got a new customer.

The following 2 users liked this post by lockie:
Hinz Motorsport (10-23-2023), saksride (10-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 10:32 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,597 Likes on 739 Posts

Ceramic brakes do more for laptime than the WP I’m guessing.
Planning to put PCCB and stock pads on the shelve and run ST rotors, RSC1 and SRF.

Last edited by TRAKCAR; 10-21-2023 at 10:42 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by TRAKCAR:
Hinz Motorsport (10-23-2023), saksride (10-21-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 01:18 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 610 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Ceramic brakes do more for laptime than the WP I’m guessing.
Planning to put PCCB and stock pads on the shelve and run ST rotors, RSC1 and SRF.
Given this plan, just curious: why pony up for PCCB in the first place? I liked your stripper spec.
Old 10-21-2023, 06:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,787 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Given this plan, just curious: why pony up for PCCB in the first place? I liked your stripper spec.
2 potential reasons:

1. Liking the Yellow calipers
2. Can sell rotors for more than option price

I guess the abs tuning may suit the ST rotors better too.

Last edited by GrantG; 10-21-2023 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:25 PM
signes
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 408 Posts

My first Porsche with ceramics, all previous ones I optioned the reds. To me the PCCB feel less analog - stronger initial bite but less depth in a way. Hard to describe. Haven't pushed on track super hard yet but might find some irons. (And I even missed one of Grants benefits with black calipers!)

Last edited by signes; 10-21-2023 at 09:36 PM.
Old 10-22-2023, 02:05 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,787 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Originally Posted by signes
My first Porsche with ceramics, all previous ones I optioned the reds. To me the PCCB feel less analog - stronger initial bite but less depth in a way. Hard to describe. Haven't pushed on track super hard yet but might find some irons. (And I even missed one of Grants benefits with black calipers!)

Black looks great with those wheels
Old 10-22-2023, 11:07 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Iron
Ceramics

Based on your experience do you think the 992 GT3 AP Racing Brake kit will fit the 992 GT3RS
Old 10-23-2023, 09:07 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 609 Likes on 345 Posts

Originally Posted by lockie
Based on your experience do you think the 992 GT3 AP Racing Brake kit will fit the 992 GT3RS
It is highly likely that our 992 GT3 kit will fit the 992 3RS based on everything we've seen, but we don't like to assume anything. We have not yet confirmed fitment unfortunately. We've been struggling to find a local car to measure. We've had a whole bunch of west coasters offer their car, but nobody local.

Also of note and not clearly mentioned above, our AP Racing by Essex front and rear iron system saves approximately 30 lbs. vs. the OEM iron system. While it isn't quite as lightweight as carbon ceramic discs, it does offer a huge range of other benefits, and is as close as one can get to the AP Racing Radi-CAL brake systems that were run/will be run on the Porsche factory racecars such as the 911 RSR, GT3 R, etc.

If anyone is able to let us borrow their 992 GT3RS to measure at our Charlotte, NC facility, we would show our appreciation.

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

lockie (10-23-2023)

Quick Reply: 992 RS Brake Pads