Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 RS Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2023, 02:39 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 339 Likes on 176 Posts

This is an important thread. For steel brakes, I'll bet RSR Nurburg's GT3RS has steel brakes on their Nurburgring rental, maybe try to contact them and ask.

I have the same question about track brake pads, but for PCCB's. Anyone have experience here yet? This is my first car with carbon brakes.
Old 07-19-2023, 03:27 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Jörg Bergmeister told me we don´t need other PCCB pads.

992RS PCCB pads are different than 992GT3 PCCB pads.

i will try and find out on mine.
to little time for trackdays at the moment...
Old 07-19-2023, 03:29 AM
jo_ker
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 190 Posts

Jörg is getting also a 992RS with PCCB - and i asked him what to modify on "our same" cars.

he said nothing.

i asked: no pads? no lines?
he said: "not needed because of different pads.... they found out something..." (no details told) Summary he said: "just drive the sh*t out of it!"

Last edited by jo_ker; 07-19-2023 at 03:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
saksride (07-25-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 09:31 AM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

We have some earlier cars (991.2 GT3 and 718 GT4's) that have used the Pagid RSC1 compound on their PCCB equipped cars with good result.

I'd be curious to know pricing on the Genuine Porsche articles, the RSC1's are about $1179.00/USD per car set.

--Aaron

knsbrakes.com | Phone: 919-420-0021 | Email: sales@knsbrakes.com
Old 07-21-2023, 04:45 PM
VoodooUomo
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 28 Posts

I have a 2023 GT3 which has the exact same brakes as you on the front and same pads all around. Stock is more than fine, I'm just about to replace the oem pads with another set of the same after ~5 track days. I don't usually run the full day so it's a bit less than that if you run 6-7 sessions a day, but they performed flawlessly and I'm running them at pace. They only started making noises now that they're low.
Old 07-25-2023, 07:21 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Thx for the feedback guys !

Castrol SRF is first thing in line to get changed.

Pads is also dependent on what i can get. Pinged my Porsche dealer for Manthey brake pads, but no reaction yet. Indy hasn't reacted yet either, he does endless and pagid. Holiday season over here :-(
I've used Pagid Yellow RSL in the past. But I'd love to try Manthey for the reasons @pepinozaur mentioned, practically OEM.

Yes outside left. I sure could do with some extra camber. But I'm not ready to change the geo at the moment, because it is less bad as it was with my previous GT3 (now it's done after 3 trackdays, back then it was done after 1 trackday).
Plus, the car has to stay level front to back, and if they screw that up and the car drops at one end due to extra camber, it will affect aero performance (dixit porsche manual).
So I need to find a shop first that I can trust to do that correctly so the rake doesn't change.

Rotors are fine. No juddering, no hot spots, just a nice transfer layer.

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
I'd do brake fluid first, Castrol SRF is the most popular choice from our sales history.
Did your front left tire wear the outside edge? If so I'd get a proper track alignment with more negative camber.
If you can post a picture of the tire and your rotors- if the rotor has "hot spots" the squishy pedal you felt could be a combination of the brake fluid and possibly the pads are getting overheated and melting. Eventually the pad smears all over the rotor and creates judder (some people mistakenly call this a warped rotor).
--Aaron
https://knsbrakes.com/products/car/1...ace+Brake+Pads
Originally Posted by pepinozaur
The only OEM like options are:
Manthey racing green pads (Pagid )
991.2 gt2/3rs pads
These will be covered 100% by warranty. They are better than oem because there is a law in Europe that with a brand new car, the producer has to include copper less pads. But only for a brand new car Second set of pads can have a bit of copper
Other options that I see and I would use,are ferodo, other pagid pads and endless.
I had oem for like 35 Nurburgring laps and one trackday in SPA and they were gone.
Now running Mantheys, I did some street driving in Italy and one trackday in Vallelunga.. crazy hot 35-40C, tires were 95ish C after 1 lap ... the pads were good, just a tad more noisy than stock. I wasnt able to push toomuch, but they didnt feel too much different from OEM (I would rate them 7/10), maybe just minimal better modulation feeling and a bit more on the initial bite. But I hope they will be longer lasting.
Old 09-26-2023, 09:18 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Car is now fresh on Endless N39S pads, RF650 fluid and GoodYear R tyres. Let's see what happens next trackday.
The following 3 users liked this post by bccars:
AdamSanta85 (10-03-2023), PET (10-06-2023), saksride (10-21-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 04:23 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bccars
Car is now fresh on Endless N39S pads, RF650 fluid and GoodYear R tyres. Let's see what happens next trackday.
One trackday done with the Endless N39S on OEM rotors. A LOT of vibrations, a lot of times really shaking the car. And it was not ABS, no pulses in the pedal. Does not inspire confidence to really keep going to the limit. And not that it is important, but they are really really noisy on the street, constant noise, not only when you brake. For me Enless never again.
Next time I will try Manthey pads or just go back to Pagid.

YMMV
KNSBrakes (10-03-2023)
Old 09-29-2023, 12:00 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,787 Likes on 2,726 Posts

One trackday done with the Endless N39S on OEM rotors. A LOT of vibrations, a lot of times really shaking the car. And it was not ABS, no pulses in the pedal. Does not inspire confidence to really keep going to the limit. And not that it is important, but they are really really noisy on the street, constant noise, not only when you brake. For me Enless never again.

YMMV
FYI - the Race Technology RE10 is a great pad (with good road manners too).

Also with the iron rotors when you change from stock pads, it's a good idea to clean off the existing layer of pad deposition from the rotors. I use Simple Green cleaner and 3M dishwashing pads before using the track pads to prevent cross-contamination of pad materials and to have a smooth/clean rotor surface. Don't think this is advisable with PCCB's though.

Last edited by GrantG; 09-29-2023 at 02:01 PM.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:27 AM
KNSBrakes
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

YMMV
Post a picture of your rotor, sounds like the the pads might not have been aggressive enough and have melted and "smeared" your rotors.

You might be able to save the rotors by going to a more aggressive pad and doing a hard stop from ~70MPH with cold track pads. When a track pad is cold it is very aggressive on the rotors. By doing a few stops with stone cold rotors you might be able to "clean" the left behind material from the rotors.

Most likely the pads are not usable any longer- once they melt they're done.

--Aaron
K.Zannos (05-11-2024)
Old 10-09-2023, 04:17 AM
bccars
Three Wheelin'

Contacted "my guy". He thinks pad deposit of the OEM brake and the pad deposit of the Endless don't agree. He's going to lightly sand the disks to get them clean of transfer layer, so I can put a new Endless only transfer layer on it. Worth a try I gather !
Old 10-09-2023, 08:49 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 609 Likes on 345 Posts

Contacted "my guy". He thinks pad deposit of the OEM brake and the pad deposit of the Endless don't agree. He's going to lightly sand the disks to get them clean of transfer layer, so I can put a new Endless only transfer layer on it. Worth a try I gather !
Many times pad compounds from different manufacturers do not place nice on the disc face. They melt together, gum up, and generally make a mess! Scrubbing them is definitely worth a try.
Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

bccars (10-11-2023)
Old 10-09-2023, 01:48 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Many times pad compounds from different manufacturers do not place nice on the disc face. They melt together, gum up, and generally make a mess! Scrubbing them is definitely worth a try.
Hi Jeff,
I've been away for awhile. Have you any updates on the AP Racing Brakes for the 992 3RS.
Thanks.
Old 10-09-2023, 02:32 PM
GtErik
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure if Manthey has released any pads for the RS steel rotors yet. Has anybody checked? For PCCB they have
Old 10-09-2023, 03:18 PM
mthreat
Pro

Received 339 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by GtErik
Not sure if Manthey has released any pads for the RS steel rotors yet. Has anybody checked? For PCCB they have
Can you post a link to the Manthey 992 GT3 RS PCCB brake pads? I searched and couldn't find them.

Quick Reply: 992 RS Brake Pads