Sponsored by:

Need Alignment Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2022, 09:53 PM
sparetireless
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Need Alignment Advice

992 GT3, slight drift to the right, constant hand pressure needed on the left side of the steering wheel to keep it tracking correctly on level, straight, non-crowned roadway.

Dealer realigned all says it's as good as they can do. (its done this since new, no pot hole hits or curb hits)

Still will change 2 lanes always to the right over 20 seconds of hands free driving, always to the right.

Dealer swapped tires from one side to the other to see if that was it. It's not.

what can I do for next steps?

Last edited by sparetireless; 12-20-2022 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-20-2022, 09:59 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,140 Posts

Originally Posted by sparetireless
992 GT3, slight drift to the right, constant hand pressure needed on the left side of the steering wheel to keep it tracking correctly on level, straight, non-crowned roadway.

Dealer realigned all says it's as good as they can do. (its done this since new, no pot hole hits or curb hits)

Still will change 2 lanes always to the right over 20 seconds of hands free driving, always to the right.

Dealer swapped tires from one side to the other to see if that was it. It's not.

What does it do under heavy braking/acceleration?

Have you tried it in a flat parking lot to rule out the camber in the road?

Have you made any modifications to the car?
Old 12-20-2022, 10:27 PM
xstnte
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 134 Posts

You're in Costa Mesa
Take it to Joey Seely at Emotion Engineering.
He'll get it sorted for you.

3189 Red Hill Ave, Suite C
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(949) 270-6303
joey@emotion.engineering.com
The following 2 users liked this post by xstnte:
cox1974 (01-10-2023), sparetireless (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 12:21 AM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,141 Likes on 609 Posts

I hate a car that drifts really can detract form the experience..>
The first thing is the basic stuff .
Caster and camber can make a car pull in addition toe out in front or rear will make the car follow any crown of the road.
Another thing to try is switching the tires side to side.
I had a similar problem with a M2 it was driving me nuts..
.I have lots of experience doing chassis set ups and have all the equipment I couldn't find any thing and neither could the dealer.
Doing some research i found there was a software update to calibrate the steering to stop the car from pulling.
Took it to the dealer (of course they never mentioned it) and it was fixed.
So check if there is an update or have them re-calibrate the steering .
Feel free to pm me. good luck carl
The following users liked this post:
sparetireless (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 12:28 AM
kkabba
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

my 992 touring did exactly that when delivered at first. On the roads was noticeable but manageable but after taking it to my first track DE it became evident that something was wrong.

Took it in and turned out the alignment was messed up ever so slightly (so much for the pre delivery inspection). Got it aligned square and car drove beautifully after on road and track. Get it aligned elsewhere reputable and that should do the trick.

Last edited by kkabba; 12-21-2022 at 12:30 AM.
sparetireless (12-21-2022)
Old 12-21-2022, 05:51 AM
sparetireless
Racer

good comments, will check it out,

no mods.
Old 12-22-2022, 08:22 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Have only bought two new Porsches (and none of them 992) but both were outside spec alignment wise at delivery. Drove ~500km to let everything settle, then did alignment at indy race shop.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:01 AM
GoJoe244
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Rear-wheel Steering

Assuming the dealer knows how to align a car properly, it seems unlikely they would mess it up. That said, whenever I get an alignment done, I ask for both before and after print outs or screen shots. They are easy for the shop to provide, and takes all the guess work out of what did they actually did?

I wonder if you have an issue with one of your rear wheel steering actuators. It sounds like the good news is that it does it all the time, so it shouldn't be hard to replicate. Perhaps get it on a dyno and see if either rear wheel toes in or out with the wheel straight up while rolling. I think the rear wheels center when you turn the key on (as they require the key to be on to do an alignment), so any movement from there with the key on could be a problem. Just a thought.

BTW, love the color.
Old 12-22-2022, 12:42 PM
CSM Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Generally a bit of difference in caster side to side is desirable to help reduce tracking due to the roads crowned surface if all else is square and correct. Do you have the alignment readout? There can be some discrepancies from alignment rack to alignment rack as well.
W: https://csmperformance.com/
"Simplifying Setup."

Old 12-22-2022, 06:24 PM
cosmos
Rennlist Member

Received 1,117 Likes on 617 Posts

Porsche offers Warrenty alignment for first
1000km or three months.
Old 12-22-2022, 10:16 PM
kkabba
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by GoJoe244
Assuming the dealer knows how to align a car properly, it seems unlikely they would mess it up. That said, whenever I get an alignment done, I ask for both before and after print outs or screen shots. They are easy for the shop to provide, and takes all the guess work out of what did they actually did?

I wonder if you have an issue with one of your rear wheel steering actuators. It sounds like the good news is that it does it all the time, so it shouldn't be hard to replicate. Perhaps get it on a dyno and see if either rear wheel toes in or out with the wheel straight up while rolling. I think the rear wheels center when you turn the key on (as they require the key to be on to do an alignment), so any movement from there with the key on could be a problem. Just a thought.

BTW, love the color.
just stop. OP - go get it aligned properly - my dealer that’s top 3 in sales in Canada missed it and then fixed it and car was perfect again. It’s likely a super simple fix.

Last edited by kkabba; 12-22-2022 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-22-2022, 11:51 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,141 Likes on 609 Posts

Just remember alignment machines are not infallible.
They need to be calibrated periodically .
Even then there is a plus or minus tolerance .
They’re made to be fast your local tire shop needs to bang out an alignment in a half hour
That’s because on a lot of cars that a half a degree of caster or camber doesn’t really matter.
F1 uses jigs and mechanical gauges for a reason.
CSM Performance (12-22-2022)
Old 01-05-2023, 09:21 PM
sparetireless
Racer

Problem mostly solved, it was the tires, CUP2s,

they were causing the pull to the right, alignment was redone and then checked by 2 other shops. Alignment is the not the source of the pull to the right.

the independent shop people say swap front wheels from side to side. So we did that. (supposedly this was done by the dealer but it looks like it may have either not have taken place or it was swapped and then swapped back.)

It's still not perfect but it's a lot lot better.

Its still a pretty squirrley car when you hit uneven pavement, I like the handling overall of the GT3, but in certain situations you really need to be ready for the steering wheel to do its own thing, rapidly.

Last edited by sparetireless; 01-05-2023 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:35 PM
Ukkid74
Burning Brakes

Received 647 Likes on 299 Posts

Lower it with 3 threads left & add camber with a race shop. Will drive completely different. Not even close to how it comes. It’s a GT car

Quick Reply: Need Alignment Advice