Sponsored by:

Surprised at the difference.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2022, 01:16 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,172 Likes on 625 Posts
Default Surprised at the difference.

Just picked up the Gt3 on Tuesday yesterday I took it out on a 45 mile canyon drive and then came home and took my 992S manual on the same drive. Its amazing how totally different the cars feel. The 992 because of all the lowdown torque feels punchier than the Gt3. Understand I only have less than 100 miles on the 3 so I kept it below 7k, so its not an apple to apple comparison.

The Gt3 is a much more sharper handling car, almost a different level. It’s much more accurate and you feel like you can put it within inches of where you want it. The 992 I always feel I’m playing with the balance and grip for rotation. The Gt3 seems almost like its flexible and in the bending with a corner. Probably has something to do with the rear wheel steering which I was mistakenly critical of before .

I know a lot of people aren’t going to agree with this but I actually prefer the shift linkage in the 992 even though the through is a little longer through its less notchy than the GT3and has a more fluid feel. It may smooth out with some miles.

The ride difference is interesting in the 992 has SPASM and the ride actually isn’t much stiffer but the dampening is very different. 992 feels much softer on rebound and in general less buttoned up regardless of the setting.

I was thinking if there is one car I was going to drive up HY1 to Carmel on today, about 200 miles it would be the 992 . If I wanted to spend the afternoon lapping Laguna Secca on it would be the Gt3.

I think the 992s has done a terrific job of the combining a high-performance level with good relative comfort. For me a 400-mile road trip in the Gt3 would get old but then again so am I!

One final thing I will say is the car is really tight. The road surface on some of the roads I drive are not great. The car did not have one rattle or buzz which was impressive seeing how stiff it is.

In the next couple days I’m going fill it up with gas and through it up on the scales see if it weighs what they say, which is about 3150, the 992s weighed 3345, my M2 competition 3540, GT four was 3080..

Just my opinion ..carl

The following 11 users liked this post by 4carl:
AlexCeres (05-05-2022), flyjets (05-05-2022), Freddie Two Bs (05-05-2022), got2go (05-07-2022), heshalosny (05-06-2022), Juggy (05-05-2022), michaeldorian (05-05-2022), PHX (05-05-2022), SB27 (05-05-2022), sherpacycling (05-06-2022), Yargk (05-05-2022) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-05-2022, 01:49 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 4carl
Just picked up the Gt3 on Tuesday yesterday I took it out on a 45 mile canyon drive and then came home and took my 992S manual on the same drive. Its amazing how totally different the cars feel. The 992 because of all the lowdown torque feels punchier than the Gt3. Understand I only have less than 100 miles on the 3 so I kept it below 7k, so its not an apple to apple comparison.

The Gt3 is a much more sharper handling car, almost a different level. It’s much more accurate and you feel like you can put it within inches of where you want it. The 992 I always feel I’m playing with the balance and grip for rotation. The Gt3 seems almost like its flexible and in the bending with a corner. Probably has something to do with the rear wheel steering which I was mistakenly critical of before .

I know a lot of people aren’t going to agree with this but I actually prefer the shift linkage in the 992 even though the through is a little longer through its less notchy than the GT3and has a more fluid feel. It may smooth out with some miles.

The ride difference is interesting in the 992 has SPASM and the ride actually isn’t much stiffer but the dampening is very different. 992 feels much softer on rebound and in general less buttoned up regardless of the setting.

I was thinking if there is one car I was going to drive up HY1 to Carmel on today, about 200 miles it would be the 992 . If I wanted to spend the afternoon lapping Laguna Secca on it would be the Gt3.

I think the 992s has done a terrific job of the combining a high-performance level with good relative comfort. For me a 400-mile road trip in the Gt3 would get old but then again so am I!

One final thing I will say is the car is really tight. The road surface on some of the roads I drive are not great. The car did not have one rattle or buzz which was impressive seeing how stiff it is.

In the next couple days I’m going fill it up with gas and through it up on the scales see if it weighs what they say, which is about 3150, the 992s weighed 3345, my M2 competition 3540, GT four was 3080..

Just my opinion ..carl
Great points all, Karl. Hope you are enjoying the car. I took delivery on a 992 GT3 last week and have had a 992 TTS for about 6 months. As you alluded, very different cars (even the TTS). A few more thoughts:

- Agree that the front suspension/handling is just next level. I had a .2 GT3 and loved it. But the two cars could not be more different in terms of front suspension and steering. The new car is just next level in terms of precision, turn in, sharpness and control.
- Re: break-in ... I am doing the below 4k RPM on 1st tank, 5k and below on 2nd tank and 6k and below on third tank of gas approach to break in. I am now on my 3rd tank.
- If you look at the HP and torque charts, these cars don't make great HP / TQ down low. So we will just have to patient until you can real wind it up above 7k RPM.
- I have surprisingly enjoyed the PDK shift stick thingy. It's not nearly as engaging as the 6MT but damn does it rip off fast shifts. Looking forward to play around with it more. Of course, the paddles are there and are great.
- The whole GT3 ride is way more refined than I expected. It is eery how similar it feels doing DD duty to a 992 TTS. The new TTS with S-PASM has a ton more GT car in it. So it feels like they migrated the TTS more towards the GT3 ride firmness vs. the other way around.
- As a result, the new GT3 can easily be a DD. No problem. Even my wife enjoys riding with me in it. That was not the case in the 991.2 GT3.
- Until I get to full break in, I am going to reserve judgement on the engine/power issue. And it's not fair to compare a broken in TTS to still-doing-so GT3. Of course, the TTS is just instant on HP/TQ. Trying to keep the GT3 under 4-5k RPM is like being in a dentist's chair. Annoying.

Five interesting things re: the GT3 after 700 miles:
- The exhaust has gotten louder (since about the 500 mile mark) and I think they nailed the balanced sound of the exhaust in Sport / Track mode. Not much of a difference in sound now between Normal and Sport. Of course, many will want it louder. I am good with it so far.
- The PDK transmission felt really tight / quiet in the first 500 miles. Now you can feel it slack and have that same "dragging some chains" sound underneath as did the 991.2 GT3. This mostly happens when putting around at low speeds in congested areas. Interesting. I for one enjoy all the mechanical sounds going in a GT3 vs. the other non-GT cars.
- The GT3 looks like it is going to get really good gas mileage if you just want to cruise somewhere. With the extended tank, you can probably expect a 450+ mile range cruising at 75 MPH. Going back to the TTS (which had no extended tank size option) is painful given how it sucks fuel and has a less than 18 gallon tank with reserves.
- No drone in normal mode. Love that. Especially when having to cruise at highway speeds over long distances.
- Tire noise - my GT3 came with the PSC2s. Road noise is very manageable. The TTS came with the Goodyears. Definitely more road noise.

Last edited by SB27; 05-05-2022 at 01:53 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by SB27:
FLACHT6_pilot (05-05-2022), got2go (05-07-2022), heshalosny (05-06-2022), JAMilford (05-05-2022), michaeldorian (05-05-2022), Yargk (05-05-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-05-2022, 05:27 PM
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 151 Posts

Thanks for the posts.

Q1: How is the cabin loudness when just cruising in the GT3 vs. the 992S? Just trying to assess how comfortable the car is for long trips to far away tracks for me and a passenger. We've been fine in a GT4 for such journeys.

Looking forward to seeing the weight of the car.

On another note, I've wondered about the feel difference between the GTS and the GT3. I'm sure the GT3 is still on another level, and I live for the little vibrations and immediate response of the GT cars (to me the Cayman S and GT4 feel were night and day), but the GTS is a lot stiffer than the S. (No double wishbone in the GTS though...)

Last edited by Yargk; 05-05-2022 at 05:31 PM.
Old 05-05-2022, 06:27 PM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

Thank you for this post. My car developed a buzz and slight rattle. Driving me crazy. The exhaust etc does start to get louder and vibrate more. Agree on the torque urgency. PDK with its quick shifting does help with that feeling more.
Old 05-05-2022, 07:35 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,074 Likes on 2,860 Posts

If you are observing the 7k rpm break-in limit, you have not yet experienced the engine. Totally different with redline shifts…

The No-Lift upshifts are fun too…
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 10:32 PM
gt4-2-n8
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 31 Posts

just broke 1200 miles and it keeps getting better....
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 11:40 PM
4carl
Race Car

Received 1,172 Likes on 625 Posts

[QUOTE=Yargk;18127204]Thanks for the posts.

Q1: How is the cabin loudness when just cruising in the GT3 vs. the 992S? Just trying to assess how comfortable the car is for long trips to far away tracks for me and a passenger. We've been fine in a GT4 for such journeys.

On another note, I've wondered about the feel difference between the GTS and the GT3. I'm sure the GT3 is still on another level, and I live for the little vibrations and immediate response of the GT cars (to me the Cayman S and GT4 feel were night and day), but the GTS is a lot stiffer than the S. (No double wishbone in the GTS though...)[/QUOTE

I also had a GT 4 would say it’s about the same for noise in the cabin . may have even been a little louder but it depends on tires. If you could tolerate a trip in the GT4 Gt3 should be no problem. I actually thought the ride was choppier in the GT four and I had two of them.carl
Old 05-06-2022, 09:38 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GrantG
If you are observing the 7k rpm break-in limit, you have not yet experienced the engine. Totally different with redline shifts…

The No-Lift upshifts are fun too…
I've been a good little boy on breaking this one. I was less good with the prior 991.2 GT3.

"Only" revving to 7k now and you are right....transforming at higher RPM's. Also, so much more engaging with the sound in the cabin in the 992 GT3 at higher revs. Went for a "spirited" country drive out in the twisties this morning. Oh boy. Just, wow the turn in and front grip.

I did a GMG center delete on the 991.2 GT3. I would call the sound "angry" (still loved it). The stock sound in the 992 is what I would call "spiritual" -- and that's only to 7k RPM. Not angry. Not quiet. "Spiritual" is the word that comes to mind.

Still keeping it below 7k RPMs through the 1,000 mile mark -- then gonna let 'er rip. Can't wait. So far so good.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:45 PM
SB27
Rennlist Member

[QUOTE=4carl;18127794]
Originally Posted by Yargk
Thanks for the posts.

On another note, I've wondered about the feel difference between the GTS and the GT3. I'm sure the GT3 is still on another level, and I live for the little vibrations and immediate response of the GT cars (to me the Cayman S and GT4 feel were night and day), but the GTS is a lot stiffer than the S. (No double wishbone in the GTS though...)[/QUOTE

I also had a GT 4 would say it’s about the same for noise in the cabin . may have even been a little louder but it depends on tires. If you could tolerate a trip in the GT4 Gt3 should be no problem. I actually thought the ride was choppier in the GT four and I had two of them.carl
The sound is manageable. It's really interesting. Normal and Sport mode are not all that far apart when driving in a spirited fashion (slightly louder, more enjoyable). BUT WHEN CRUISING - wow the Normal mode pays off and cuts drone to zero. There is light drone in stock Sport mode.

You can have a bluetooth / iPhone call no problem. I would suggest it will depend on your tires and road noise more than the exhaust. The Sport Cup 2's are nice balance. I had a call for 20 minutes on the highway and it was fine (it was over Zoom -- so not as good as cell to cell). Is it a Cadillac? Uh, no. It's not. But it is fine.

I should say that the 18 ways in this car are even more comfortable than those in the 991.2 GT3. You could probably upgrade the materials a bit (and certainly the look) with P1 Designs inserts. Likely even more comfortable.

It's a long story, but I have a complete set of LWB seats I kept from my last car -- so I can go back and forth as needed. Of course, you will lose the plushness and seat heating in the 18 ways when swapping them for the LWB's but it's nice to have both.

I would have no problem doing 400-500 mile trips in this car. Absolutely none. No exhaustion factor. No drone factor -- and the ride is very very manageable.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Surprised at the difference.