Sponsored by:

Getting a Cup Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 10:52 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 955 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by zedcat
Could also consider a used 981 or 718 GT4 Clubsport. Can be fun in advanced group HPDE. GT4 Clubsport - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
plus dealer can repair, most of the car is the street car.
The following users liked this post:
pdkisgay (05-02-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 03:02 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 394 Posts

Like others have said, I would start with a Miata MX-5 cup or if that is not cool enough, a GT4 car is a good fit with lots of racing all over the world. I currently do club racing with an Audi GT4 and I do havea cup car on order for early next year (cross my fingers it actually comes). Only reason I'm considering a new cup car is our club racing series now has 4 cup cars in front of our multi-class racing and I think a couple others are getting the itch. We still have 10-12 GT4 cars showing up too, so that is probably the best racing still. I jsut want to go faster. haha. As for cup car mainteance, the motor and transmission alone look to be $1k an hour. I will probably do 25-30 hours a year and expect it to cost me $50-75k a year. Add real racing series and those budgets become big 6 figure numbers.

I started racing a couple years ago and I rarely take my GT3s to the track anymore. They are just not as fun as a real race car and not as safe.
pdkisgay (05-02-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 08:48 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

I am going to do more research of running costs for the GT4 Clubsport and GT3 Cup. Maybe the GT4 Clubsport is a better place to start.

Setting aside current ADM nonsense for the GT cars, the big question is if my primary use of the car is indeed track, the additional safety equipment, improved focus, and rawness of the real race cars would seem to make a lot of sense. I used to track an e36M3, which over time I built into a fully prepped race car. Each step made the car more fun and more fast. The full cage added to my comfort pushing the car massively.

I don’t know how much enjoyment I’d get out of a GT3 on the street over my 992 TTS (especially if I add a full Kline exhaust system).

Do you buy the race cars from Porsche Motorsport directly or do you still need to work through a dealer network?
Old 04-28-2022, 09:09 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by wintershade
I am going to do more research of running costs for the GT4 Clubsport and GT3 Cup. Maybe the GT4 Clubsport is a better place to start.

Setting aside current ADM nonsense for the GT cars, the big question is if my primary use of the car is indeed track, the additional safety equipment, improved focus, and rawness of the real race cars would seem to make a lot of sense. I used to track an e36M3, which over time I built into a fully prepped race car. Each step made the car more fun and more fast. The full cage added to my comfort pushing the car massively.

I don’t know how much enjoyment I’d get out of a GT3 on the street over my 992 TTS (especially if I add a full Kline exhaust system).

Do you buy the race cars from Porsche Motorsport directly or do you still need to work through a dealer network?
Generally buy new cars through Porsche Motorsport North America, Carson Ca. The sales contact there has changed since I last bought through them but you can search their main number and give them a call. Also check Isringhausen Motorsports. They often have some interesting cars. Looks like a few GT4CS and cups on their site. Good luck.
got2go (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 10:15 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Generally buy new cars through Porsche Motorsport North America, Carson Ca. The sales contact there has changed since I last bought through them but you can search their main number and give them a call. Also check Isringhausen Motorsports. They often have some interesting cars. Looks like a few GT4CS and cups on their site. Good luck.
Merit in Atlanta usually has a flow of Clubsports as well.
Old 04-28-2022, 11:28 AM
wintershade
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 160 Posts

Thanks, I'll call Porsche in Carson. Isringhausen is one of the dealerships that's jerked me around, so no interest in dealing with them.

Warren Buffet once wrote: "It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it. If you think about that, you'll do things differently." More Porsche dealership GMs should read Buffet's shareholder letters.
The following 2 users liked this post by wintershade:
pdkisgay (05-02-2022), usctrojanGT3 (12-17-2023)
Old 04-28-2022, 01:45 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 394 Posts

Clubsports and Cup cars are definitely bought direct from PMNA. I originally tried to get my dealer to get me one and he told me he couldn't sell them and gave me the # to call. They are about a year out it looks like for both cars (maybe even more for a clubsport). Used ones are crazy priced right now. More than new for a beat up race car. Supply is really short. Once you go with one of these OEM built race cars, you won't go back to street cars for track. As for your e36 m3 experience, I have one of those too and it is a hoot. Mine is ridiculously overdone. haha. e36 m3 with S54 that is built to 370 wheel HP and weighs 2500 lbs. It will keep up with GT4 cars on the track. Only problem is it isn't as dependable. You almost need 2 of them since they live in the shop. haha. Here is my 2 race cars I'm currently driving. Race the Audi and the BMW for play and currently my son is racing it in the same club series.

Old 04-28-2022, 03:39 PM
rost12
Racer

Received 224 Likes on 77 Posts

I can relate to this thread. Have been a "hobbyist" track day driver for years in every generation of a 911 GT3. Last year took a jump and bought a Cup car, 50/50 with a friend. First a 996 gen, then we added a 991 gen. We've been doing same track days together anyway, so timing seems to work. Splitting the cost of running the car is good news. And race cars can take a lot of beating, so we've not felt like we didn't get enough time on track sharing one car.

Have a 992 GT3 currently. I'm not in love with it as a road car, find it too focused for crap UK roads. And as a track car its fun, but Cup car is hella more fun!

So very tempted to sell the 992 and buy a a Boxster GTS 4.0, I find them a great combination of size and power and obviously a lot more compliant. Seems pointless to keep the compromise car, when I can have no compromise cars.

First world problems, etc etc.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:29 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

So, a random idea popped into my head last night as I was crying myself to sleep after getting screwed yet again in the quest for a GT3 or GT4RS. Why don't I just buy a 992 GT3 Cup Car, and leave it at the track (only costs $2500/year for a garage/shop at my local track)?

Yes, I obviously won't be able to drive it on the street, but that's fine. I don't have "canyons" near me where I can drive at 2-4x the legal speed limit putting lives of cyclists and other motorists at risk. I don't go to "cars and coffee" or feel the need to impress my neighbors with my big wing. I want something crazy raw to dance at the limit, and would rather pay someone an honest wage to haul my Cup Car around than pad my dealer's pockets with a $100K+ ADM.

I know I'm nuts. But does this idea make sense?
Because you can't buy a 992 Cup unless you commit to a series You might be able to buy 991 Cup, but it will be knackered and you'll have to refresh the engine and gear box (most likely).

Last edited by groundhog; 04-30-2022 at 06:30 AM.
Old 04-30-2022, 06:31 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

So, a random idea popped into my head last night as I was crying myself to sleep after getting screwed yet again in the quest for a GT3 or GT4RS. Why don't I just buy a 992 GT3 Cup Car, and leave it at the track (only costs $2500/year for a garage/shop at my local track)?

Yes, I obviously won't be able to drive it on the street, but that's fine. I don't have "canyons" near me where I can drive at 2-4x the legal speed limit putting lives of cyclists and other motorists at risk. I don't go to "cars and coffee" or feel the need to impress my neighbors with my big wing. I want something crazy raw to dance at the limit, and would rather pay someone an honest wage to haul my Cup Car around than pad my dealer's pockets with a $100K+ ADM.

I know I'm nuts. But does this idea make sense?
Because you can't buy a 992 Cup unless you commit to a series You might be able to buy 991 Cup but it will be knackered and you'll have to refresh the engine and gear box (most likely) as they are usually sold at or near the engine hour/gear box limit.
Old 04-30-2022, 11:26 AM
sparkhill
Burning Brakes

Received 508 Likes on 308 Posts

This bring-a-trailer listing might do nicely.

GT3 R Listing
The following 3 users liked this post by sparkhill:
cadster (04-30-2022), Finlander (05-01-2022), pdkisgay (05-02-2022)

Quick Reply: Getting a Cup Car