Sponsored by:

Dundon Header Exhaust Power Package!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 12:43 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 634 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by raymort
Oh, as a heads up preview, Finspeed has used my car to measure and model their new 19" EVO wheels for the 992 GT3. I saw the cut and painted wheels last night with a new color they are releasing. They look great.

We plan to have a camera car at the track this weekend to get some video. It should provide a great opportunity to get actual exhaust sounds at high rpms from a nearby car instead of the "drive-by" shots.

Stay "tuned"
Huh I thought I had heard somewhere that Finspeed was going out of business. Glad to hear that’s not the case. Will their 19” wheels fit with clearance over stock brakes?
The following users liked this post:
tjg81296 (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 02:23 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,252 Likes on 1,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Mech33
Huh I thought I had heard somewhere that Finspeed was going out of business. Glad to hear that’s not the case. Will their 19” wheels fit with clearance over stock brakes?
They are cranking out wheels - no sign of issues from what I can see.

They are putting the 19s on my car with PCCBs - with no issues.
The following 2 users liked this post by raymort:
redpriest (04-29-2022), S.White (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 02:23 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lockie
Really interested in the 19" wheels. Do you have a link that we can follow to see the project development.
I will create a thread and share links when the video is done.

I will have pics this weekend at the track.
lockie (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 05:23 PM
electron mike
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 278 Posts

Say whaaaa? Great if they can actually get 19's to work. Several friends of mine have tried PCCBs with 19's and Forgelines and HREs but both have wheel barrels too close to the calipers which eventually results in clag getting stuck in between and effing up the calipers/rotors/wheels.

Also, good luck if those are HJS cats. I killed mine in my 981 GT4 in about 4 track days and went back to stock headers after several others did the same.

Anyway, sorry for the negative BS I hope it all works perfectly and I can copy your setup at some point. Thanks for blazing the mod trail on the 992.
Old 04-27-2022, 05:26 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

Received 3,114 Likes on 1,428 Posts

Picked it up yesterday and did a short drive (10 miles) to drop car off with another shop for some wheel work to prep for some videos and track weekend. Will do an objective (sorta) test at COTA on the back straight to give some performance feedback.

Initial impressions on the short trip are:

1. Sound. Of course, it sounds much better. In particular, for me, the sub 2K rpm sound is pretty amazingly different. It is like James Earl Jones is talking - very broad and wide bass tones at idle and just above - almost like the difference between a Bose stereo system and a clock radio. I didn't get too much into the high rpms, and was inside the car, but it is a much "healthier" sound for sure, but not obnoxious sounding.

2. Weight. I can definitely tell the weight reduction in the rear of the car. Even on the streets, the car feels slightly more mid-engine and more lively. I hadn't really thought about this aspect too much, but dropping ~25 lbs at the tail end really reduced the rear moment of inertia. This combined with the rear wheel steer was noticeable to me. Will be interesting to see the feel on the track.

3. Shifting (MT). Perhaps the biggest improvement I noticed so far is the increased throttle response, especially when shifting. Without the GPF and with the high flow cats, the throttle really responds much better. When doing a no-lift-shift, the throttle really picks up the flywheel quicker and there is less surge. I have data from the track and will do some comparisons to see if it is more than just a hearing thing and if there is really a performance improvement for manual shifting. But, initially, it sure feels like it.

4. Lifting (MT). Another thing I am noticing is when I lift of throttle in say 3rd gear, I am feeling less slowdown (engine braking feeling). The car seems to want to coast better rather than having the nose dip slightly and slow down. It is somewhat subtle, but that's the feeling I get. For track, not sure exactly if this is a positive as lifting alone can be a nice/easy way to get a little weight transfer.

5. High RPMs. I did a few 9K shifts from 1st to 2nd (after driving about 10 miles, so the tires were a little warmed up). With the increased performance and lighter rear, I did notice a little torque kick out of the rear of the car that I had not noticed before. Again, I'll try to do an objective performance review at the track this weekend.

Overall, super happy with it, especially with the low rpm sound. I got several thumbs up from people on street corners, and the exhaust (from the inside of the car) doesn't have the over-the-top obnoxious sound that my GT4 had.
Can't wait to hear it
Old 04-27-2022, 05:28 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by electron mike
Say whaaaa? Great if they can actually get 19's to work. Several friends of mine have tried PCCBs with 19's and Forgelines and HREs but both have wheel barrels too close to the calipers which eventually results in clag getting stuck in between and effing up the calipers/rotors/wheels.

Also, good luck if those are HJS cats. I killed mine in my 981 GT4 in about 4 track days and went back to stock headers after several others did the same.

Anyway, sorry for the negative BS I hope it all works perfectly and I can copy your setup at some point. Thanks for blazing the mod trail on the 992.
Thanks what Daniel is saying. Will know very soon!

I'll let you know how the cats hold up.

Will be getting MCS suspension very soon too from Jamie.
got2go (04-29-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 06:05 PM
lockie
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts

I will create a thread and share links when the video is done.

I will have pics this weekend at the track.
Thanks for taking the lead on these items.
Are you running your Cup 2 "R"s this weekend?
Old 04-27-2022, 06:18 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lockie
Thanks for taking the lead on these items.
Are you running your Cup 2 "R"s this weekend?
Looks like I may be running Hankooks...on the new wheels.
lockie (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 06:25 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Weight update.

The shop weighed the OEM and the Dundon exhaust systems.

The OEM system weighed 68 lbs for everything.

The Dundon system weighed in at 43 lbs.

The following 2 users liked this post by raymort:
lockie (04-27-2022), tjg81296 (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 11:00 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 961 Likes on 555 Posts

Thanks what Daniel is saying. Will know very soon!

I'll let you know how the cats hold up.

Will be getting MCS suspension very soon too from Jamie.
981 exhaust temps are the issue. Burns up stock,
And the best German cats. 911 has better packaging.

Ray don’t you have the option for a cat bypass? You don’t have to run a tune, the cel is benign.
Old 04-27-2022, 11:18 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
981 exhaust temps are the issue. Burns up stock,
And the best German cats. 911 has better packaging.

Ray don’t you have the option for a cat bypass? You don’t have to run a tune, the cel is benign.
I didn’t do a bypass. Not worried about the CEL. Will be adding tune soon.

Also, Dundon has another “enhancement” in the works…

But next up is MCS and then aero…
The following 3 users liked this post by raymort:
lockie (04-28-2022), Rennolazine (04-28-2022), ShakeNBake (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 08:43 PM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

I didn’t do a bypass. Not worried about the CEL. Will be adding tune soon.

Also, Dundon has another “enhancement” in the works…

But next up is MCS and then aero…
Full send brother!
Amen 🙏🏻
my ***** in the mail 🦅🦅
raymort (04-28-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 04:39 AM
redpriest
Instructor

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

They are cranking out wheels - no sign of issues from what I can see.

Hold up - what are the specs on the wheels? If these fit over PCCBs sign me up day 1.
Old 04-29-2022, 06:03 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,039 Likes on 658 Posts

What gain claims (torque and HP) are they making for $20K and a 10kg weight difference?

Will they guarantee the cat material will hold up at track induced temperatures

I haven't bothered with race headers etc on high power and torque NA cars because the gains without a tune are minimal. Moreover, when I speak to people in that part of the aftermarket world and you start asking about who did the the gas flow design and what difference did it make to inertial and wave scavenging they usually run a mile. At that price point I'd expect answers not just a dyno plot.

Dunno, maybe these guys are different. At that price point I'd expect them to be.

For the record my RS makes 529HP at the crank and around 460HP at the wheels - completely stock with standard exhaust. The implication being, with the GT3 you should be able to unlock similar numbers with just a tune.

Last edited by groundhog; 04-29-2022 at 07:48 AM. Reason: HP metric
The following 2 users liked this post by groundhog:
FourT6and2 (05-04-2022), rosenbergendo (04-29-2022)
Old 04-29-2022, 08:03 AM
Rennolazine
Rennlist Member

Received 784 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by groundhog
What gain claims (torque and HP) are they making for $20K and a 10kg weight difference?

Will they guarantee the cat material will hold up at track induced temperatures

I haven't bothered with race headers etc on high power and torque NA cars because the gains without a tune are minimal. Moreover, when I speak to people in that part of the aftermarket world and you start asking about who did the the gas flow design and what difference did it make to inertial and wave scavenging they usually run a mile. At that price point I'd expect answers not just a dyno plot.

Dunno, maybe these guys are different. At that price point I'd expect them to be.

For the record my RS makes 529HP at the crank and around 460HP at the wheels - completely stock with standard exhaust. The implication being, with the GT3 you should be able to unlock similar numbers with just a tune.
They have good warranty and test their parts on track extensively. Im expecting close to 1 sec improvement in the 60-130. Thats around what I got on my 718 spyder with headers alone (catted). So the gains should be measurable and Im also expecting the mid range punch to be pronounced.

Quick Reply: Dundon Header Exhaust Power Package!!!