Sponsored by:

Touring Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 04:45 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
I had my first drive today in my black touring with chalk em interior.

Very happy with driving experience. I am also super happy i went with sofas. They are very comfortable and hug me perfectly.

I see it as a nice upgrade from my 991 touring.

Better exterior looks. Better interior. Better sound
Congrats! Thanks for sharing. We have the 18-ways in our Cayenne and I love how they fit, feel and hold. Can’t wait to see em in the Touring, only 4 months out with a little luck…
Old 04-18-2022, 05:58 PM
BrntRubber
Three Wheelin'

Received 250 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris C.
Congrats! Thanks for sharing. We have the 18-ways in our Cayenne and I love how they fit, feel and hold. Can’t wait to see em in the Touring, only 4 months out with a little luck…
I drove her again last night. Amazing!

The only negative so far is the suspension is quite stiff. Much harder than my 991 touring. I think changing the springs would likely resolve this.

The car drives like my 991.2RS with a 6 speed.

Old 04-18-2022, 06:20 PM
seatactony
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by BrntRubber
I drove her again last night. Amazing!

The only negative so far is the suspension is quite stiff. Much harder than my 991 touring. I think changing the springs would likely resolve this.

The car drives like my 991.2RS with a 6 speed.
What tires? Sounds like maybe Cup2s.

Drove mine extensively yesterday and it is definitely more supple than my winged 991.2. I'm on the goodyears but plan on switching out to PS4s. Ride is pretty great but the tire noise is not.

Last edited by seatactony; 04-18-2022 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-18-2022, 10:48 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by seatactony
What tires? Sounds like maybe Cup2s.

Drove mine extensively yesterday and it is definitely more supple than my winged 991.2. I'm on the goodyears but plan on switching out to PS4s. Ride is pretty great but the tire noise is not.
So odd how people experience this car’s ride so differently. Not doubting you. Aftermarket will fix it if it’s too rough - it’s not a DD for me but our roads in NorCal are dodgy, so I wouldn’t mind a tad of compliance. (Not like we pay a lot for state and local services

And as some have already done MP4S would undoubtedly help out
Old 04-20-2022, 06:25 PM
seatactony
Racer

So odd how people experience this car’s ride so differently. Not doubting you. Aftermarket will fix it if it’s too rough - it’s not a DD for me but our roads in NorCal are dodgy, so I wouldn’t mind a tad of compliance. (Not like we pay a lot for state and local services

It's honestly not too rough on the Goodyears so I can only imagine with it will be like on MP4S. Really nice, balanced ride.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:18 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 101 Posts

I have the MP4S’s on my new 992 Touring but sadly I can’t compare them to the Cup2’s because I had them switched out before delivery. I have the tire pressures on comfort setting 29/33 and find the ride firm but pleasing, not jarring at all. I would say at least comparable to my 2018 Touring, definitely not firmer. I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the tires are- not Lexus or Tesla quiet but wind and engine sounds are louder than the tires on the highway. For some reason I don’t mind wind noise and you gotta love the glorious engine sounds but tire roar drives me crazy. On grooved concrete you can hear the tires somewhat but on smooth asphalt they are nice and quiet. Besides, with the MP4S, it’s easily a 3-4 season car here in mild NC.
Old 04-21-2022, 03:36 AM
horns
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 106 Posts

Jumping in for initial impressions now that I've had a couple of very quick drives.

Overall impression is very similar to that of the OP -- new car feels ever so slightly more refined and supple than my old winged 991.2. Could be my imagination but the buckets even feel more padded and forgiving.

While I will always be a big fan of the 991.2 interior (don't like the long plastic strip across the dash in the 992), the new interior/tech secured the wife's approval of the new ride ("I love it" and "let's go for a ride" vs. "I hate this car" relative to the 991.2).

Slightly more usable as a DD is exactly what I was going for with the switch. Very happy so far.

Looks great. What interior did you go with (leather color, stitching, and seats)?
Old 04-21-2022, 03:39 AM
michaeldorian
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
I have the MP4S’s on my new 992 Touring but sadly I can’t compare them to the Cup2’s because I had them switched out before delivery. I have the tire pressures on comfort setting 29/33 and find the ride firm but pleasing, not jarring at all. I would say at least comparable to my 2018 Touring, definitely not firmer. I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet the tires are- not Lexus or Tesla quiet but wind and engine sounds are louder than the tires on the highway. For some reason I don’t mind wind noise and you gotta love the glorious engine sounds but tire roar drives me crazy. On grooved concrete you can hear the tires somewhat but on smooth asphalt they are nice and quiet. Besides, with the MP4S, it’s easily a 3-4 season car here in mild NC.
Can you share which MP4S tires you have in terms of specs? I don’t think there is a Porsche specific spec so curious which MP4S folks are going with.
Old 04-21-2022, 12:47 PM
seatactony
Racer

Originally Posted by horns
Looks great. What interior did you go with (leather color, stitching, and seats)?
Black full leather, buckets, no deviated stitching, no carbon. My winged 991.2 had deviated red stitching and carbon inserts. Loved it at first but it began to get old after a couple of years. Wanted to keep this interior clean and simple given the somewhat more cluttered appearance (to my eye anyway) of the 992 interior. Only regret is that I get didn't get deviated yellow stitching on the steering wheel alone, as it would have broken things up with a light touch of color. Just couldn't justify the $3k+ up-charge for bit of thread on the wheel (was told that the only way to get it without full deviated throughout the car was ordering a custom steering wheel). Figured that I can deal with it down the road in some fashion.

Last edited by seatactony; 04-21-2022 at 12:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
heshalosny (04-23-2022)
Old 04-21-2022, 12:51 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 630 Likes on 386 Posts

Black full leather, buckets, no deviated stitching, no carbon. My winged 991.2 had deviated red stitching and carbon inserts. Loved it at first but it began to get old after a couple of years. Wanted to keep this interior clean and simple given the somewhat more cluttered appearance (to my eye anyway) of the 992 interior. Only regret is that I get didn't get deviated yellow stitching on the steering wheel alone, as it would have broken things up with a light touch of color. Just couldn't justify the $3k+ up-charge for bit of thread on the wheel (was told that the only way to get it without full deviated throughout the car was ordering a custom steering wheel). Figured that I can deal with it down the road in some fashion.

Black stitch is . I unfortunately had to pay deviated stitching prices to get black stitch on my GT3, but it was worth it!
Old 04-21-2022, 12:51 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carcam
I’ve put MP4S on my 991, X5 and 8 series. Amazing that this tire is almost too quiet and that it rides so well - easy to think it’s not a “performance tire” - but it delivers in dry and wet. I wish it provided more sound as the tires near the limit, but frankly I haven’t found the limits on street canyon carving.

Will be fun to sort this out when the car arrives!
Old 04-21-2022, 01:03 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Though indicated for Mercedes, the MP4S has almost identical specs to OE Michelin Cup tire with exception of what you’d expect - 2 and 1 pound(s) heavier respectively and of course tread depth

Of note: if you add in GY/Dunlop and Pirelli to the comparo you will see that both are heavier (on rears) and you give up as much as an inch smaller tread width.

Credit/source: Tirerack.com
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Gt3 Tires compare.pdf (509.3 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by Chris C.; 04-21-2022 at 01:10 PM.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:17 PM
smiles11
Rennlist Member

Received 3,399 Likes on 1,488 Posts

I had an opposite take going for my build. I wanted the black stitch on the steering wheel for better wear. Contrast stitching everywhere else. The black on black is a clean look for sure though.
jkautz (10-15-2023)
Old 05-05-2022, 12:27 PM
seatactony
Racer

I've spent the last week driving the new baby. 992 touring definitely has a more supple, forgiving ride than my 991.2 (WA roads are not great either). Goodyears on 992 vs Cup2s on 991.2 may have something to do with that. Was going to switch out the Goodyears for MP4S right away but now will probably wait until the end of the summer.

Definite DD for me. 991.2 was borderline in that regard.

Last edited by seatactony; 05-05-2022 at 12:33 PM.
SB27 (05-05-2022)
Old 05-05-2022, 12:52 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,086 Likes on 622 Posts

Definite DD for me.
Good to hear. The best way to get value out of these cars is to drive them all the time.
Porsche911GTS'16 (05-06-2022)

Quick Reply: Touring Impressions