Sponsored by:

CAN bus tap in location

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 09:07 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Received 2,241 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Default CAN bus tap in location

I'll be hooking up my VBOX this week. I believe you can tap into the CAN bus via the pax fuse box area.

However, it should be available off of the ECU, which I understand is super easy to access under the rear carpet area. Can anyone confirm you can tap into it there? If so, do you know the wires? I have the non-intrusive tap, so I am not going to cut and splice.

I will be installing my roll cage soon and want to get all wiring done in advance.

Thanks
Old 11-24-2021, 09:42 AM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Received 947 Likes on 548 Posts

Joe just installed his. Maybe he can share. I typically go for the driver fuse area - it's always worked for me in that location, not to mention easy access to switched power. Rear area would be more convenient however, especially if you do a rollbar mount for the HD2.
The following users liked this post:
raymort (11-24-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 10:19 AM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ShakeNBake
Joe just installed his. Maybe he can share. I typically go for the driver fuse area - it's always worked for me in that location, not to mention easy access to switched power. Rear area would be more convenient however, especially if you do a rollbar mount for the HD2.
Yeah, the cable for the VBOX is kinda short. Doesn’t look like it will reach to the roll cage.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:09 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by raymort
Yeah, the cable for the VBOX is kinda short. Doesn’t look like it will reach to the roll cage.
I usually extend it, and run it with power.

I guess it might be possible to fit the HD2 in the glovebox, I have not checked.
Old 11-24-2021, 03:52 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

I usually extend it, and run it with power.

I guess it might be possible to fit the HD2 in the glovebox, I have not checked.
Is there a simple way to extend it? I got the cable that has the clip on thing at the end so you don't have to disrupt the wiring.

I guess an option would be to cut the cable in half and add a piece in between - but that is very undesirable.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:22 PM
GoJoe244
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 52 Posts
Default VBOX CAN Bus

You can tap the can bus from either the left or right footwell fuse panels. Once you pull the bigger cover off they are pretty easy to identify. It's the brown and green twisted pair. I tapped on from the passenger side and put the box in the glove compartment. Ran all the wires up from underneath/behind the glove box with out taking anything apart. Nice clean install and easy access to the Vbox.

I double used double sided tape to glue a length of 1" square aluminum tubing to the bottom of the vbox, and velcro at the front of the box to secure the front of it to the inside of the glove box.

see the attached PDF for Vbox wiring. I don't know about going straight off the ECU.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Porsche-911 (992) 2019-.pdf (5.21 MB, 133 views)

Last edited by GoJoe244; 11-24-2021 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2021, 06:38 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GoJoe244
You can tap the can bus from either the left or right footwell fuse panels. Once you pull the bigger cover off they are pretty easy to identify. It's the brown and green twisted pair. I tapped on from the passenger side and put the box in the glove compartment. Ran all the wires up from underneath/behind the glove box with out taking anything apart. Nice clean install and easy access to the Vbox.

I double used double sided tape to glue a length of 1" square aluminum tubing to the bottom of the vbox, and velcro at the front of the box to secure the front of it to the inside of the glove box.

see the attached PDF for Vbox wiring. I don't know about going straight off the ECU.
Interesting. How secure is the glove box on track? I would be afraid of it opening up and the VBOX flying around.
Old 11-24-2021, 07:58 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Is there a simple way to extend it? I got the cable that has the clip on thing at the end so you don't have to disrupt the wiring.

I guess an option would be to cut the cable in half and add a piece in between - but that is very undesirable.
Erf, yeah, you can't extend that method. We've had trouble with the inductance method before - but you should try it before you give up on it.
Old 11-24-2021, 08:00 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Erf, yeah, you can't extend that method. We've had trouble with the inductance method before - but you should try it before you give up on it.
Hmm. Ok. I guess I may just order the direct connect cable too.
Old 11-26-2021, 07:18 PM
GoJoe244
Instructor

Received 143 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Glovebox install

Glove box install is sweet. So easy to access from the driver's seat. when I take the chip out for review, I leave the glovebox open, so that when I get ready to go out on track, it's obvious if I have forgotten to put the chip back on the box.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:34 PM
Mech33
Nordschleife Master

Received 610 Likes on 374 Posts

Glove box install is sweet. So easy to access from the driver's seat. when I take the chip out for review, I leave the glovebox open, so that when I get ready to go out on track, it's obvious if I have forgotten to put the chip back on the box.
Pics!
Old 11-26-2021, 09:04 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

How do you secure it?
Old 11-26-2021, 09:46 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

How do you secure it?
Just need to be sure it's not sliding around such that it can damage itself, cables, or surroundings. There is no accelerometer in it, it differentiates high res/high speed GPS position for acceleration.

If Joe got it to fit in glovebox, that's probably where I will put it. To secure a bit better I'm handy with a 3d printer.
The following users liked this post:
raymort (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 09:53 PM
raymort
Rennlist Member

Just need to be sure it's not sliding around such that it can damage itself, cables, or surroundings. There is no accelerometer in it, it differentiates high res/high speed GPS position for acceleration.

If Joe got it to fit in glovebox, that's probably where I will put it. To secure a bit better I'm handy with a 3d printer.
Ok. Was just worried about the glove box opening up and it bouncing around.
Old 11-26-2021, 10:27 PM
ShakeNBake
Rennlist Member

Ok. Was just worried about the glove box opening up and it bouncing around.
Best (and coolest) solution is their rollcage mount and one rollcage camera mount for 2nd camera. Mounted high on cage with easy access to SD card. Run main Camera, Mic, and OLED over door under trim. Use 3M backed cable clips on window to run cables across top of the window, and go-pro wire camera ties to OLED, Camera tied to rearview mirror.

Quick Reply: CAN bus tap in location