Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-and-gt2rs-forum-256/)
-   -   Manual Transmission Feedback (https://rennlist.com/forums/992-gt3-and-gt2rs-forum/1272218-manual-transmission-feedback.html)

DCGT3 11-03-2021 09:23 AM

Picked up my MT GT3 and drove it 150 miles on street roads and highway. I don’t have a point of reference as my only other 911 was a PDK. I am not an expert MT driver.

I did not feel that the car was stalled easily in first gear and the gearbox in general was what I would expect of a car of this caliber and price range. Such an amazing car.

Il CP 11-03-2021 09:44 AM

Got to finally take a MT GT3 for a test this morning. I think its clutch is very comparable to my 981 GT4 in many ways. Maybe a hair lighter, but otherwise similar. Love the quick clutch with fast dis- and re-engagement.
I suppose that if one were to install a twin or triple disc racing clutch, it would be heavier, but as long as power is stock, I think this is a marvellously smooth clutch. This clutch setup will be "easy" to drive fast and should be wonderful to live with. Can't wait:)

3-Pedals 12-24-2021 04:39 PM

Wanted to bump this thread to consolidate MT feedback. I think I have been hearing/seeing some comments regarding MT not being smooth and slow as well as overall doesnt sound like what was expected. Interestingly, the negative comments people post are positives for me as I dont want an easy car to drive. I think the challenges around flywheel and revs dropping too quickly adds to the rawness of the experience. I’m curious to hear from owners who have not had more seat time or those who were fortunate enough to drive a manual as to how the car actually drives.

Also the mechanical vs electronic differential differences that are felt in real world would be good to discuss as well.

IORR 12-25-2021 10:14 AM

the PDK/S is as close to a Sequential gearbox that's being offered in a street car, no other major Hypercar maker even comes close,
why would anyone not want that in a GT3?

save the manual need for a GTS or 911S purchase

3-Pedals 12-25-2021 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by IORR (Post 17864643)
the PDK/S is as close to a Sequential gearbox that's being offered in a street car, no other major Hypercar maker even comes close,
why would anyone not want that in a GT3?

save the manual need for a GTS or 911S purchase

I agree with the first part of your statement (sequential gearbox). I dont think this thread is about why anyone would want one though. Let's not do this where we go into the manual vs PDK argument for the 255th time:) I am just curious about the particulars for this manual transmission as it really seems to be unique.

IORR 12-25-2021 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals (Post 17864661)
I agree with the first part of your statement (sequential gearbox). I dont think this thread is about why anyone would want one though. Let's not do this where we go into the manual vs PDK argument for the 255th time:) I am just curious about the particulars for this manual transmission as it really seems to be unique.

ok,
I owned a GT3 manual for a year and a half, its really not that great of a manual transmission...maybe acceptable in a 911S or perhaps GTS, but Porsche could have done much better in pairing it to a GT3
The level of performance and speed these GT3 cars are reaching are really only made completely possible with the PDK/S

thats why you will never see one in an RS

3-Pedals 12-25-2021 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by IORR (Post 17864702)
ok,
I owned a GT3 manual for a year and a half, its really not that great of a manual transmission...maybe acceptable in a 911S or perhaps GTS, but Porsche could have done much better in pairing it to a GT3
The level of performance and speed these GT3 cars are reaching are really only made completely possible with the PDK/S

Can you elaborate why it is not that of a great manual transmission? I am not trying to flame or be sarcastic, I am genuinely interested in your opinion and why you think this way.

I own an RS too and I am going back and forth between this manual GT3 vs keeping the RS. Ideally I would like to keep both but the way these allocations are, a GT car trade is a must for it to happen.

CAlexio 12-25-2021 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by IORR
ok,

I thought the manual couldn't have possibly been better, fast smooth and tech enabled with blip and flat up shift. can you explain why you thought it was a bad manual transmission?

Jbravo23 12-25-2021 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by IORR (Post 17864702)
ok,

here we go again. You’re right, gotta squeeze all that performance out to get to cars and coffee early with your big WANG RS

IORR 12-25-2021 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jbravo23 (Post 17864756)
here we go again. You’re right, gotta squeeze all that performance out to get to cars and coffee early with your big WANG RS

easy with the insults turbo, Ive never been to a cars and coffee.
I don't live in a flat state, ALL the miles my GT cars see is in vey demanding CA canyons and mountains during hours without traffic and I push these cars...

raymort 12-25-2021 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by IORR (Post 17864770)
easy with the insults turbo, Ive never been to a cars and coffee.
I don't live in a flat state, ALL the miles my GT cars see is in vey demanding CA canyons and mountains during hours without traffic and I push these cars...

Well, then it’s settled. MT sucks and everyone must order the PDK.

3-Pedals 12-25-2021 12:21 PM

Can we actually keep the conversation constructive? I’m curious why he thinks what he thinks.

GrantG 12-25-2021 12:50 PM

CAlexio 12-25-2021 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by 3-Pedals
Can we actually keep the conversation constructive? I’m curious why he thinks what he thinks.

Ditto. What could've been done to improve that manual? I agree the numeric kit made it slightly more precise... Is that what he's referring to?

I'm really curious

VooDoo44 12-25-2021 01:21 PM

I concur. Can’t we all share the toys in the sandbox