Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Waitlisted...pre-trade Carrera S now for Touring?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2021, 04:43 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Received 292 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Waitlisted...pre-trade Carrera S now for Touring?

I've been informed that I am #2 on my dealer's waitlist for a Touring. My dealer won't receive new allocations until mid-October, but mentioned the option of pre-trading my Carrera S now toward my purchase of a Touring. I am satisfied with the current offer for the C2S, and while the dealer is fairly large and has received several early GT3 allocations to date, the nightmare scenario would be trading now to only to find myself mired in waitlist purgatory despite being fairly high on the list.

Curious to hear what others have done in pursuit of their GT allocations. Pre-trade, or wait and hold your current model until you had a commission number?

Thanks in advance for thoughts and experiences on this matter.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:46 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Received 557 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Marantz2270
I've been informed that I am #2 on my dealer's waitlist for a Touring. My dealer won't receive new allocations until mid-October, but mentioned the option of pre-trading my Carrera S now toward my purchase of a Touring. I am satisfied with the current offer for the C2S, and while the dealer is fairly large and has received several early GT3 allocations to date, the nightmare scenario would be trading now to only to find myself mired in waitlist purgatory despite being fairly high on the list.

Curious to hear what others have done in pursuit of their GT allocations. Pre-trade, or wait and hold your current model until you had a commission number?

Do not trade it in till you get the allocation. Mid October is a 2.5 weeks, everyone can wait.
The following 7 users liked this post by Captain P:
-eztrader- (09-29-2021), carcommander (09-28-2021), chance6 (09-28-2021), Marantz2270 (09-28-2021), NYCGT3 (09-28-2021), UncleDude (09-28-2021), westcoastj (09-28-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-28-2021, 04:47 PM
NYCGT3
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 137 Posts

Don’t do it.
The following 2 users liked this post by NYCGT3:
Marantz2270 (09-28-2021), westcoastj (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 04:48 PM
colnagoG60
Rennlist Member

Received 1,286 Likes on 805 Posts

FWIW, 2nd hand knowledge, from conversation on "The Smoking Tire" podcast, but Larry from Ammo NYC, "pre-traded" his current car for an ordered Cross Turismo. Apparently he gets to keep/drive his current car until the Turismo comes in, and still gets trade in at pre-agreed price, regardless of accumulated miles at time of trade-in.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:55 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by colnagoG60
FWIW, 2nd hand knowledge, from conversation on "The Smoking Tire" podcast, but Larry from Ammo NYC, "pre-traded" his current car for an ordered Cross Turismo. Apparently he gets to keep/drive his current car until the Turismo comes in, and still gets trade in at pre-agreed price, regardless of accumulated miles at time of trade-in.
Someone else around RL did the same thing, and it just sounds wild to me. What a deal for the customer!
Old 09-28-2021, 04:58 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by Captain P
Do not trade it in till you get the allocation. Mid October is a 2.5 weeks, everyone can wait.
True that, 2.5 weeks is not far away at all, but there's no guarantee my name will be called on that round of allocations.

It's tough to say no because today's offer on my car from the dealer is so good.

But, that's why I broached the subject here, because it's easy to get impatient. I'll hold the car and just keep the miles off of it until October, with fingers crossed.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:09 PM
fibredog
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 54 Posts

+1. I pre-traded a car that my dealer wanted, but I received an allocation and commission number on the day of the trade.

There are a lot of people that are told they are #2 on the list. The big question is how many #1's are before you.

Your dealer may really have you as #2, but my experience has been that they dole out the allocations based on customer loyalty, desirable trades and who's willing to pay the most. The list is secondary.

Good luck and hopefully it works to your favor.
The following 3 users liked this post by fibredog:
G.Irish (09-28-2021), The Pinkoboe (09-29-2021), User 81423 (10-01-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 05:12 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by fibredog
+1. I pre-traded a car that my dealer wanted, but I received an allocation and commission number on the day of the trade.

There are a lot of people that are told they are #2 on the list. The big question is how many #1's are before you.

Your dealer may really have you as #2, but my experience has been that they dole out the allocations based on customer loyalty, desirable trades and who's willing to pay the most. The list is secondary.

Good luck and hopefully it works to your favor.
Thanks. I think I’m actually second on the list, but only time will tell. Or, maybe I’m just a big sucker!
Old 09-28-2021, 05:25 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

True that, 2.5 weeks is not far away at all, but there's no guarantee my name will be called on that round of allocations.

It's tough to say no because today's offer on my car from the dealer is so good.

But, that's why I broached the subject here, because it's easy to get impatient. I'll hold the car and just keep the miles off of it until October, with fingers crossed.
No one is loyal in this game, if another dealer says they will give you a commission number today and take your trade in, you will take it right? It is all about opportunity. My suggestion is be upfront and tell the dealer you have no trust based on historical context so you need major assurance that would hold up against any scrutiny.

On the other hand, we sometimes need to take risks hoping for the best, but that means you need to be ok losing. Personally i crack open a drink, think deeply and hedge all my bets. The dealer knows I am hedging bets (transparent with them) and the good ones work with you to come up with a win win scenario. If a dealer is not working with you for a win win compromise, then there is a very high chance you are about to be bent over.

p.s Dealers are making a killing on used car market, you have more leverage than you give yourself credit for.
The following 3 users liked this post by Captain P:
chance6 (09-29-2021), touringGT3 (09-28-2021), UncleDude (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 05:40 PM
JAMilford
Racer

Received 239 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks. I think I’m actually second on the list, but only time will tell. Or, maybe I’m just a big sucker!
I suggest you be careful. When the initial GT3 allocations (Touring and Winged) were released last March, it was widely published and discussed on this forum that there would not be any additional PCNA GT3 allocations in 2021. I suppose it is always possible that PAG could have changed their mind but given all of the production delays and material shortages, it would seem surprising if that were the case. I'm not suggesting that your dealer was misleading you, but if I were you I would not do anything until you see a GT3T Commission number from PCNA that has your name attached to it. If the prior reports are accurate (and I believe that they are) then you are not likely to see a GT3T Commission number until sometime next year and that is likely to be for a late 2022 build date.

Last edited by JAMilford; 09-28-2021 at 05:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JAMilford:
Captain P (09-28-2021), touringGT3 (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 05:43 PM
touringGT3
Pro

Received 297 Likes on 161 Posts

Go do it... if you trust your dealer/salesrep or can get them to guarantee the Touring allocation. Did it myself, of course after establishing that trust with my dealer. Got a trade-in allowance I was quite happy with and I'm getting the Touring at MSRP. They actually told me to enjoy my 992 C2S and they'll let me know when they'd like to get it, but I actually kept asking them to take my C2S from my hands sooner rather than later. I pre-traded-in my C2S almost two months ago for a Feb build PTS Touring (was told it was their 1st Touring allocation). Some dealers are straight up and some are not so make sure to do your homework.
The following users liked this post:
Captain P (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 05:51 PM
Captain P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by direkallan
Go do it... if you trust your dealer/salesrep or can get them to guarantee the Touring allocation. Did it myself, of course after establishing that trust with my dealer. Got a trade-in allowance I was quite happy with and I'm getting the Touring at MSRP. They actually told me to enjoy my 992 C2S and they'll let me know when they'd like to get it, but I actually kept asking them to take my C2S from my hands sooner rather than later. I pre-traded-in my C2S almost two months ago for a Feb build PTS Touring (was told it was their 1st Touring allocation). Some dealers are straight up and some are not so make sure to do your homework.
Now this ^^ is a win win scenario
Old 09-28-2021, 06:23 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,068 Likes on 609 Posts

+ 1000
wait till they get allocations
pre-trade when they give you allocation
you have the upper hand here .Dealers are trying to make money by increasing number of used cars they sell , as the number of new cars they are selling has decreased significantly because of supply issues.
and a Porsche dealer would rather sell a used Porsche as compared to another brand
so not everyone looking for a GT3 have a car " Porsche in particular " to trade in , so you will be ahead of a lot of people because of your trade
so having a C2S works in your favor
Old 09-28-2021, 06:31 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,011 Posts

You’re only #2 until a VIP decides he wants a car and jumps the line. It’s like being on a standby list for first class, and the higher status guys keep pushing you down with 10 people waiting for 2 seats. I wouldn’t do it minus a guarantee.
The following 3 users liked this post by Maverick787:
Marantz2270 (09-28-2021), NYCGT3 (09-28-2021), westcoastj (09-28-2021)
Old 09-28-2021, 06:31 PM
Marantz2270
Pro

Originally Posted by pitt911
+ 1000
wait till they get allocations
pre-trade when they give you allocation
you have the upper hand here .Dealers are trying to make money by increasing number of used cars they sell , as the number of new cars they are selling has decreased significantly because of supply issues.
and a Porsche dealer would rather sell a used Porsche as compared to another brand
so not everyone looking for a GT3 have a car " Porsche in particular " to trade in , so you will be ahead of a lot of people because of your trade
so having a C2S works in your favor
Good word.

Annoyingly, I just got the break-in done on the C2S, now I’m keeping miles off of it to maximize trade-in value.

There are worse problems to have.
The following users liked this post:
chance6 (09-28-2021)

Quick Reply: Waitlisted...pre-trade Carrera S now for Touring?