WenigerAberBeser
Rennlist Member

Received 1,411 Likes on 739 Posts

You could always move out of VA
Old 01-17-2022, 11:33 AM
Rxpert
Rennlist Member

Received 401 Likes on 207 Posts

For those worried about the ticket costs, my counter argument is the hit to resale value. When I was in the market for a used 991.2 GT3, I would pass over any cars with a front plate installed. Too much work to try and patch/plug/paint match, not worth it. There are enough used cars to choose from without front plates.

I think paying the occasional ticket would be far better for the almighty resale value which everyone on here is obsessed with
Old 01-17-2022, 11:40 AM
Bucketlistx911
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 121 Posts

https://skenebrackets.com/

I have used this Skene Bracket system on several GT cars. works well and adjustable. requires two small screws under bumper edge. good photos on the website to study.
Old 01-17-2022, 11:49 AM
DES GTS
Pro

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Rxpert
For those worried about the ticket costs, my counter argument is the hit to resale value. When I was in the market for a used 991.2 GT3, I would pass over any cars with a front plate installed. Too much work to try and patch/plug/paint match, not worth it. There are enough used cars to choose from without front plates.

I think paying the occasional ticket would be far better for the almighty resale value which everyone on here is obsessed with
Good point. Particularly true if you're in Ontario and want to sell the car in Quebec (or at least entertain the possibility).
Old 01-17-2022, 12:35 PM
1985fordltd
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

For those worried about the ticket costs, my counter argument is the hit to resale value.
I don't disagree with this argument from a financial perspective, but a couple more variables:

(1) I value my time more than the cost of a ticket, and I don't want to be pulled over when I'm trying to get somewhere on time
(2) It's one thing to get a ticket on the highway by a trooper I'd never see again, and it's another thing to have the same cops in my town keep seeing me without the plate after they've ticketed me once.

For 2 years now I've driven an M5 with a Sto-N-Sho removable plate and sometimes I go with no plate. So far no one has pulled me over, but that car is way less conspicuous than the shark blue GT3 with a wing that I have coming in a couple months :-).

I'm also getting it full PPF'ed, so it'd be nice to know my solution before that happens, so the wrap installer can work with the solution. for example, the Carbonio looks to be adhesive, while the Skene looks more like my Sto-N-Sho (drill holes, but out of view). The PPF installer may want to weigh in, or may want these solutions added first. Which means waiting it out to see if the cops pull me over may be missing my chance to get the clean install done. Frustrating not to know in advance if the cops will care.

So yeah, hoping people can share their experiences!
Old 01-18-2022, 02:27 PM
1985fordltd
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I reached out to Carbonio about the plate, since their site shows a photoshopped example, instead of a real install. They replied that they have in fact installed it on a 992 GT3, it's just the owner had a rare PTS color and was pretty private about having their car photographed/filmed.

So I guess the question now is what hidden front plate solution is best with PPF...and whether to wait till post PPF/ceramic and deal with it if/when the police care. Or to integrate from the beginning.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:34 PM
Bucketlistx911
Rennlist Member

1985, for what its worth I installed the Skene brackets directly on to the film covered bumper surface ( GT 4). So the lip under the bumper, where the bracket mounts, was fully protected except for two very very small screw holes. Removal was easy and I doubt anyone will be unhappy with those two hidden-(okay yes you can see with your head upside down on the garage floor) penetrations under bumper edge. The connection was strong and secure, two minutes to take plate off if desired.
Not to reopen the debate about the cost of a ticket vs car value compromise. I contemplated another consequential cost. Not me, but say a friend of mine takes a lunch with his buddies while enjoying cars. Say for this what if scenario the fellas have a few beers with the lunch food. OK I know this is unlikely. Then everyone hops in their GT cars to head home. My friend blasts through an intersection in this winged car and no license plate... A cop is on the feeder and finds it impossible to not hit the lights and see what the story is. Yes officer here is my license and registration. The cop asks, " do you know why I pulled you over? no sir.... well I see you have no license plate? then he says were you speeding?...uh uh, next he asks, Have you been drinking because I sure smell alcohol...."

that is consequential cost of no license plate and a simple ticket may not be negotiable...
The following users liked this post:
1985fordltd (01-18-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 11:06 PM
911TurboRules
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 62 Posts

The Skene bracket and Carbonio brackets seem to mount the plate really close to the bumper. When you're driving the wind will blow it against the bumper and scratch it. I'm not a fan. You'd have to take it off every time you get in your car to drive somewhere.

No really good solutions other than the tow hook. I found my 991/718 hooks don't work on the 992. The treads are different. Why would Porsche change the threads on the tow hook? What advantage do they get???

I did find one tow hook plate so far that works for the 992 from Craven Speed. You can mount it to the side to avoid the parking sensors if you have them.
https://www.cravenspeed.com/2021-149/

Old 01-19-2022, 11:30 PM
halfmonkey
Rennlist Member

Received 1,805 Likes on 865 Posts

[QUOTE=1985fordltd;17911072]
Originally Posted by logical
Has anyone here tried this Carbonio bracket yet on a 992 GT3? Would love to hear how it worked, or, even better, see pics.
I attached the plate to the Carbonio mount and "installed" it twice. Once when I first attached the plate to the mount to see how it looks "installed" and to make sure it "installed" on the front lip as described it would and the second time was when I was at a cars and coffee and had my frunk open and someone asked about the plate and the mount. I took it out and showed them and they all thought it was a good solution and wanted to buy for their cars and asked me to "install" it to show them how it worked.

I haven't driven with it on and I don't plan to because installing the mount really reduces the clearance and I'd be worried about the mount catching on something while I'm driving and ripping the whole thing off including damaging my front lip and/or bumper.

I did think about the tow hook mount for a split second but I personally (no disrespect to those that like it) don't think it looks good. My thought is if you're looking to permanently mount a license plates, why not just use the OEM mount so it's centered instead of placing the license plate off to the side. Sorry but IMO, it looks horrible and my OCD tendencies would drive me crazy to no end seeing the plate off center.
The following users liked this post:
DES GTS (01-20-2022)
Old 01-22-2022, 08:44 AM
Bucketlistx911
Rennlist Member

The Skene Bracket coupled with a simple license plate frame is very rigid, almost no flex. Can put a tiny rubber bumper if it has a near to surface contact point. Also the skene bracket has a big range up and down for vertical adjustment. If Porsche engineering reads any of this stuff I suggest the factory put a small threaded receiver on center nose of bumper covered with painted plug, very similar to tow hook receiver.. No more noticeable than sensors etc.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:17 AM
jfr0317
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by 911TurboRules
The Skene bracket and Carbonio brackets seem to mount the plate really close to the bumper. When you're driving the wind will blow it against the bumper and scratch it. I'm not a fan. You'd have to take it off every time you get in your car to drive somewhere.

No really good solutions other than the tow hook. I found my 991/718 hooks don't work on the 992. The treads are different. Why would Porsche change the threads on the tow hook? What advantage do they get???

I did find one tow hook plate so far that works for the 992 from Craven Speed. You can mount it to the side to avoid the parking sensors if you have them.
https://www.cravenspeed.com/2021-149/

Thanks for pointing this out. Until I saw this, I was planning on using the tow-hook mount I used on my 991.2 GT3. I just ordered a Rho Plate mount for my 992 GT3. I have one of those on my 992 C2S only with a vertical offset piece that is required to avoid covering up one of the parking sensors. That's not needed on the 992 GT3 since it doesn't have front parking sensors. I usually leave the plate off except when I make an annual group trip to the Big Bend area of West Texas. The DPS troopers have stopped several of our group for no front plate while on one of our trips.

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 Front Plate Bracket