Sponsored by:

Exhaust note of GT3 with Oil Particulate Filters

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 05:57 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts
Default Exhaust note of GT3 with Oil Particulate Filters

The car's exhaust note is an important part of the driving experience for me. (probably most of us). I had the opportunity to drive the 991 Speedster (#1905 of 1948) hard last weekend - the one in the pic below. The Speedster is the closest exhaust sound to the 992 GT3 that I have driven since it has an identical exhaust system and nearly identical engine.

Honestly, I was very disappointed in the sound. It was unexpectedly muted which was especially surprising considering the top was down. I'm not saying it was bad at all.....it still sounded great. The OPFs definitely have an impact. It's hard to tell from all the 992 GT3 videos I have listened to what the exhaust note really sounds like (IMHO, exhaust sound is very hard to capture correctly on video). I have buddies that I drive around with frequently that have 991.1/.2 GT3s - one with the sharkwerks center muffler delete which sounds fantastic! I know sound is subjective of course but apparently my preference is on the louder side of the spectrum. I'm going to have to find an aftermarket solution to restore the original intent of the exhaust note as the sound killing OPFs are regulatory driven. (Yes I was above 8000rpm, engine was hot and the PSE was engaged)

I was also worried that I would be a bit disappointed in the torque of the GT3 since I have become accustomed to a 991.2 C4 that produces almost the same torque but hits that peak at 1700 rpm and sustains the torque at that level. I was happy to say it felt great! Like all NA engines, you just have to ring them out a bit to access the proper part of the torque curve. The manual transmission is the same that will be in my GT3 (I believe that is the case anyway) and it was fantastic. Felt smooth and much better than the clunky 7 speed manual in my 991.2 .

The owner expressed the same disappointment with the exhaust note when he drove it the first time but then again, you can see what he has in his garage so maybe his expectations are different.

Here is one possible solution but it is pricey. Hopefully Sharkwerks will develop something.

Last edited by subshooter; 05-25-2021 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 06:42 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Great post, Sub! Thank you.

Glad to hear about the torque and manual transmission.

Any comments on the cold start sound of the Speedster?
The following users liked this post:
subshooter (05-25-2021)
Old 05-25-2021, 06:46 PM
Scrappy1972
Burning Brakes

Received 700 Likes on 330 Posts

The Speedster 100% sounds neutered as compared to a 991 GT3/RS. Hopefully they’ve made progress with the 992 GT3 but those ordering should be prepared for a less aggressive exhaust note than the 991 it might be replacing in their garage.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:07 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
Great post, Sub! Thank you.

Glad to hear about the torque and manual transmission.

Any comments on the cold start sound of the Speedster?
Honestly, by the time I turned the ignition, I was in a total fog and not thinking straight. I have no idea what the car sounded like when I turned the key. I was literally driven there blind folded by my girlfriend for my birthday, walked over to some warehouse in the middle of nowhere in southern Louisiana and introduced to all those cars and a bunch of my friends screaming happy birthday.

The owner who I had never met (and neither had my GF who set up the event) told me to pick any car to drive. Of course, I passed up that yellow $800k Lambo and went straight to the Speedster. The owner and his wife had to move their McLaren 720S and 600LT out of the way, while I slowly moved the Speedster past the Lambo and Turbo S Exclusive trying not to scratch anything. Once I got out on the road, the cob webs disappeared quickly as I rowed through the gears and hammered the **** out of the car. It was an awesome experience. The owner is obviously extremely wealthy and a philantropoist that we met through a church friend.

Originally Posted by Scrappy1972
The Speedster 100% sounds neutered as compared to a 991 GT3/RS. Hopefully they’ve made progress with the 992 GT3 but those ordering should be prepared for a less aggressive exhaust note than the 991 it might be replacing in their garage.
I don't think any progress was made as the engine and exhaust of the 992 GT3 are the same as the Speedster.

Last edited by subshooter; 05-25-2021 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-25-2021, 08:40 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4,942 Likes on 2,799 Posts

My understanding is that the 992 GT3 exhaust is quieter than 991 GT3 (and very similar to Speedster), but the intake noise is supposedly enhanced in the 992, such that the overall interior noise from the engine is actually louder than in the 991 (though the noise outside the car is quieter).
Old 05-25-2021, 09:57 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Any chance U.S. examples won't have the GPF? And how difficult/costly is it to remove the GPF?
Old 05-25-2021, 10:01 PM
PorscheSince2013
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 153 Posts

Sorry, is there a resource to learn more about the GPF for Porsche and US models? I was not aware these were on any US models yet. Are these part of the exhaust and cat systems? Are they easily modifiable?
Old 05-25-2021, 11:25 PM
Fixinbones
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheSince2013
Sorry, is there a resource to learn more about the GPF for Porsche and US models? I was not aware these were on any US models yet. Are these part of the exhaust and cat systems? Are they easily modifiable?
I think it’s built into the cat
Old 05-25-2021, 11:26 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by FORENN
Any chance U.S. examples won't have the GPF? And how difficult/costly is it to remove the GPF?
That is the million dollar question and I don't recall ever getting a definitive answer here on RL. It is my understanding that the GPF is not necessary in the USA like it is in the EU. So, are the US-bound GT cars going to be built without it or is Porsche just going to make it easier on themselves and put the GPF in all cars? I would suspect it will be the latter as the GPF affects performance to a degree and if the US cars don't have it and the ROW cars do, then the US cars would be seen as more "desirable" to some as its performance and sound will not be affected by the GPF. Hopefully, someone on RL knows for sure one way or the other.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:09 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

sounds pretty damn good to me...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ejm5-xiYQbM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Old 05-26-2021, 12:12 AM
chance6
Race Car

Received 1,499 Likes on 961 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
That is the million dollar question and I don't recall ever getting a definitive answer here on RL. It is my understanding that the GPF is not necessary in the USA like it is in the EU. So, are the US-bound GT cars going to be built without it or is Porsche just going to make it easier on themselves and put the GPF in all cars? I would suspect it will be the latter as the GPF affects performance to a degree and if the US cars don't have it and the ROW cars do, then the US cars would be seen as more "desirable" to some as its performance and sound will not be affected by the GPF. Hopefully, someone on RL knows for sure one way or the other.
from what I hear, the US cars will have a 'dummy filter' with similar resistance.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:20 AM
motorwerksgroup
Burning Brakes

Received 393 Likes on 210 Posts

FWIW, Chris Harris claimed that the 992.1 GT3 was more muted *outside* the car but louder *inside* the car with more intake noise and howl.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:07 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,973 Likes on 917 Posts

A big part of why the speedster is so quiet, is that you have the top muffling the interior sound from the engine. In the hardtop Gt3 you get an echo chamber and none of the big fabric top blocking sound. The speedster is unique in this.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:40 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chance6
from what I hear, the US cars will have a 'dummy filter' with similar resistance.
I read that in another thread as well but the impact on sound is the same. I recall that the pressure drop across the filter needs to be the same with or without the real filter so that the ECU doesn't have to be adjusted or changed in some way.

Originally Posted by CAlexio
A big part of why the speedster is so quiet, is that you have the top muffling the interior sound from the engine. In the hardtop Gt3 you get an echo chamber and none of the big fabric top blocking sound. The speedster is unique in this.
Good point.

Originally Posted by chance6
sounds pretty damn good to me...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ejm5-xiYQbM" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I agree the car sounds good - I'm not denying that, it's just going to be much less that the 991.2. I listened to about 5 Speedster videos and some sound quiet, and some don't. Regardless, I listened to it in person under load and was unimpressed. But to CAlexio's point, maybe it sounds better from the observer's view?

Last edited by subshooter; 05-26-2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:51 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
I was literally driven there blind folded by my girlfriend for my birthday, walked over to some warehouse in the middle of nowhere in southern Louisiana and introduced to all those cars and a bunch of my friends screaming happy birthday.
Happy Birthday, Sub. You are living the dream!!

Quick Reply: Exhaust note of GT3 with Oil Particulate Filters