992 GT3 faster as 488Pista

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2021, 03:17 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,074 Likes on 2,860 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
Have we all suddenly forgot how CAFE works? Corporate Average Fuel Economy...

We know European rules are generally stricter, but this has to be why Porsche can still make NA manual GT cars in relatively small numbers, for years to come.
Until Porsche builds a special version for the US market, CAFE is irrelevant (all the cars are built to global standards, many of which are more restrictive than CAFE).

I think the next major restriction comes in 2025 (with a new Euro standard which may kill NA without hybrid, unless they keep making them for just US).

Last edited by GrantG; 03-19-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 07:17 PM
JoeGT3
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by GrantG
Until Porsche builds a special version for the US market, CAFE is irrelevant (all the cars are built to global standards, many of which are more restrictive than CAFE).

I think the next major restriction comes in 2025 (with a new Euro standard which may kill NA without hybrid, unless they keep making them for just US).
Euro 7 are due to be presented to the European parliament at the end of 2021, and would likely come into force around 2025

so the 992.2 GT3 should be EURO7 ready, or they would need to stop selling it the year after they release it.

current ones may be the last NA ones, but who knows ...

worth to read

https://www.acea.be/uploads/publicat...n_standard.pdf

EURO6 : 60 and 80 mg/km (gas vs disel)
EURO7 (planed) : 30 and 10 mg/km (gas vs disel) for new models

in Europe i think this is the last NA generation (992), the thing is to know how 992.2 will be ...

this article is also a good read

https://translate.google.com/transla...erbrenner-mehr

Audi no longer develops new combustion engines

Last edited by JoeGT3; 03-19-2021 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-19-2021, 08:17 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeGT3
Euro 7 are due to be presented to the European parliament at the end of 2021, and would likely come into force around 2025
so the 992.2 GT3 should be EURO7 ready, or they would need to stop selling it the year after they release it.
current ones may be the last NA ones, but who knows ...worth to read
. . . . . in Europe i think this is the last NA generation (992), the thing is to know how 992.2 will be ...
Good articles. The writing is definitely on the wall.

A GT3 with NA engine and a helper hybrid motor. Like a turbo but without lag, all the torque and 9000rpm zing!!
Porsche will find a way.

What magic will the GT3 RS bring us?
Old 03-20-2021, 02:07 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,316 Likes on 690 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeGT3

current ones may be the last NA ones, but who knows ...

worth to read

https://www.acea.be/uploads/publicat...n_standard.pdf

EURO6 : 60 and 80 mg/km (gas vs disel)
EURO7 (planed) : 30 and 10 mg/km (gas vs disel) for new models

in Europe i think this is the last NA generation (992), the thing is to know how 992.2 will be ...

https://translate.google.com/transla...erbrenner-mehr

Audi no longer develops new combustion engines

Still remains to be seen if the european parliment accepts it for now. It is widely considered to be overly aggressive. Germany (which is the economic motor of europe) has taken a beating the last few year as their car industry shrank. I wonder if cooler heads may prevail and logical people conclude that maybe they are pushing too hard and too fast, and that the tech is not yet ready (with carrot or stick) for their unrealistic targets of Euro 7?

Last edited by Drifting; 03-20-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2021, 02:28 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,975 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
Good articles. The writing is definitely on the wall.

A GT3 with NA engine and a helper hybrid motor. Like a turbo but without lag, all the torque and 9000rpm zing!!
Porsche will find a way.

What magic will the GT3 RS bring us?
I would say Lamborghini Sian's
super capacitor is well-suited to the 911. Low-weight, torque-filling, quick discharge and regeneration... this may be the Goldilocks solution.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2019/09...ained-details/
Old 03-20-2021, 06:32 AM
JoeGT3
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Drifting
Still remains to be seen if the european parliment accepts it for now. It is widely considered to be overly aggressive. Germany (which is the economic motor of europe) has taken a beating the last few year as their car industry shrank. I wonder if cooler heads may prevail and logical people conclude that maybe they are pushing too hard and too fast, and that the tech is not yet ready (with carrot or stick) for their unrealistic targets of Euro 7
the restrictions are already here, you cant cross the center of Barcelona with a non euro6 car and this happens in Madrid too

downsizing has been a thing in europe for the last 3 years, we are reaching the end of an era, unfortunally
Old 03-20-2021, 04:07 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
I would say Lamborghini Sian's
super capacitor is well-suited to the 911. Low-weight, torque-filling, quick discharge and regeneration... this may be the Goldilocks solution.

https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2019/09...ained-details/
agree that Is intriguing, and Porsche will have easy access to the tech as they are both owned by VW.
Could see this happening in the 992.2 RS.

I still think the 992.1 RS will be the swan song of all NA RS, so that car will get a special 4.2L NA engine, before Porsche has to modify future GT cars to comply with Euro 7
The following users liked this post:
AllAboutThatP (03-20-2021)
Old 03-21-2021, 12:13 AM
Waddi
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 100 Posts

agree that Is intriguing, and Porsche will have easy access to the tech as they are both owned by VW.
Could see this happening in the 992.2 RS.

I still think the 992.1 RS will be the swan song of all NA RS, so that car will get a special 4.2L NA engine, before Porsche has to modify future GT cars to comply with Euro 7
I think the 992.1 RS will follow the same playbook as the GT3, ie 10hp bump to 530hp with the main focus on aero and handling. This is achievable with the 4.0, the 2019 .2 3RS already had 520hp, so does Porsche really need to develop a 4.2 to achieve an extra 10hp? I doubt it. A Super Capacitor does seem like a neat solution for the future, providing just enough juice to pass emission tests, and overcome the system’s addition weight.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:46 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Waddi
I think the 992.1 RS will follow the same playbook as the GT3, ie 10hp bump to 530hp with the main focus on aero and handling. This is achievable with the 4.0, the 2019 .2 3RS already had 520hp, so does Porsche really need to develop a 4.2 to achieve an extra 10hp? I doubt it. A Super Capacitor does seem like a neat solution for the future, providing just enough juice to pass emission tests, and overcome the system’s addition weight.
The 4.2 is already being used in racing (RSR) and needs to be homologated (RS traditionally provides that).
Old 03-21-2021, 09:05 PM
Waddi
Racer

Originally Posted by GrantG
The 4.2 is already being used in racing (RSR) and needs to be homologated (RS traditionally provides that).
Does that also mean the RS will be mid engined like the RSR? Porsche raced under an exemption for the RSR until 2019, and in 2020, withdrew it from IMSA. The future for the RSR is very much in doubt, so not sure they would base their future powerplant decisions on it.
Old 03-22-2021, 09:51 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Does that also mean the RS will be mid engined like the RSR? Porsche raced under an exemption for the RSR until 2019, and in 2020, withdrew it from IMSA. The future for the RSR is very much in doubt, so not sure they would base their future powerplant decisions on it.
that is a huge leap to suggest the 992 RS will be mid engine.
It is not a huge leap to consider that with Euro 7 taking effect in 2025, that Porsche might send out its last all NA 992 RS with a bang and not a whimper.
Only 10hp more was an insult for the GT3, but that was softened by the new wishbone front suspension and increased downforce.
However , the GT3 isn’t the pinnacle of all that Porsche is supposed to represent, that is the RS.

Porsche has already done much of the design work on the 4.2L engine for the RSR. They will put a 4.2L into the 992.1 RS, and offer a manual 4.2L 50th anniversary RS.

Last edited by Drifting; 03-22-2021 at 10:30 AM.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:24 PM
Waddi
Racer

that is a huge leap to suggest the 992 RS will be mid engine.
It is not a huge leap to consider that with Euro 7 taking effect in 2025, that Porsche might send out its last all NA 992 RS with a bang and not a whimper.
Only 10hp more was an insult for the GT3, but that was softened by the new wishbone front suspension and increased downforce.
However , the GT3 isn’t the pinnacle of all that Porsche is supposed to represent, that is the RS.

Porsche has already done much of the design work on the 4.2L engine for the RSR. They will put a 4.2L into the 992.1 RS, and offer a manual 4.2L 50th anniversary RS.
I didn’t suggest anything, I simply asked if that would be the case. Since homologation was given as a reason for using a 4.2, surely the MR layout needs to be used for homologation too? For the record, I think neither will happen, although I am somewhat confused as to why the rear wing mounts have been moved to a more central position on the 3RS mules.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:36 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am somewhat confused as to why the rear wing mounts have been moved to a more central position on the 3RS mules.
That’s to give pedestrians room to fit under the wing but outside of the wing supports when they are run over

In all seriousness, I don’t see how that thing passes new pedestrian safety regs...
Old 03-31-2021, 04:16 AM
groundhog
Race Car

Received 1,021 Likes on 647 Posts

Haven't been on here in a long time - but little has changed - it will depend on the driver, the tires and the track temperature.

I wouldn't recommend Cup2 Rs as a road tire and laptimes sent on Cup2 R are irrelevant, because, the more sensible choice for public roads and longevity is the standard Cup 2. Secondly, even as a sprint tire the Cup2 Rs give out quickly, add to that the overly soft sidewall which generates lots of squirm under brakes - basically the Rs are more or less a one off fast lap tire.

If you want to set fast laps and do it safely and effortlessly - get a Cup car - if you want to do tarmac rallying get a RS.

For some further perspective how little relevance these types of comparisons have I will relate the results from a gathering of friends at a recent private track day. When I say friends these are people that compete in state and national level events (as good amateurs) in everything from wheel to wheel through to tarmac rally.

So how did it go (track ~2.5km) - I won't go into great detail but for perspective a 997.1 Cup car was 4s faster than a GT2 RS, a 991.1 GT3 RS on Cup 2 Rs was 2 seconds quicker than a GT2 RS on standard MPSC2. The 991 GT3s were nowhere near anything irrespective of the tires. A 991.2 Cup car was 3s quicker than a 997.2 Cup car and on it goes.

Frankly, lap times only have real meaning if you really race, have lots of regular seat time and compete in on the clock events.

Good to see they've gone to multilink on the front of the GT3 but outside of that I can't really get excited about it.

Last edited by groundhog; 03-31-2021 at 05:00 AM.

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 faster as 488Pista