Notices
992 GT3 and GT2RS Forum 2019-Current
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3 Prototype - Secrets hidden in plain sight, or not.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020 | 07:48 PM
James Walker
Instructor

You are a bit off on the issue of tape. Prototypes that run on the street in Germany always have logos or any brand identification taped off. Notice the crest on the steering wheel. True for interior and exterior.
Old 12-31-2020 | 08:48 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

The rear wing is not a DIY touring.
I was thinking that Porsche wouldn’t make it easy to do a DIY Touring.

I’d love to have things both ways, but I’m sure someone at PAG wouldn’t allow it because it affects their profit.
Old 12-31-2020 | 09:22 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by James Walker
You are a bit off on the issue of tape. Prototypes that run on the street in Germany always have logos or any brand identification taped off. Notice the crest on the steering wheel. True for interior and exterior.
James, you are correct on the ext/interior badging always being covered, but the reason I mentioned the tag just below the shifter is there have been many labels on that tag be it 911, PDK, etc. so possibly something different, or not.

The tape on top of the shifter has possibly something more to hide, unless it's what we have already been told by AP - a manual shifter being the same for PDK cars with label identifying the shifting pattern/method. Time will tell.
Old 01-01-2021 | 05:32 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Drifting
I was thinking that Porsche wouldn’t make it easy to do a DIY Touring.

I’d love to have things both ways, but I’m sure someone at PAG wouldn’t allow it because it affects their profit.
Why did they make a DIY "touring" GT3RS (ie easily removable screwed on wing)
Old 01-01-2021 | 11:08 AM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Why did they make a DIY "touring" GT3RS (ie easily removable screwed on wing)
I don’t know. But I think they learned their lesson and so won’t do that for the 992 GT3.

I hope I’m wrong. I would love it if 992 GT3 could be enjoyed both ways.
Old 01-01-2021 | 12:43 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

I don’t know. But I think they learned their lesson and so won’t do that for the 992 GT3.

What was the lesson learned? (serious question)
Old 01-01-2021 | 01:57 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAlexio
What was the lesson learned? (serious question)
Agree with question. Besides, how many actually took the wing off? Maybe three? (facetious guess).
Old 01-01-2021 | 05:29 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Any wing can be removed, just that the 991 GT3 would have required a complete engine lid replacement to look finished. Plus the remaining duck tail wouldn't have provided much down force. The GT3 RS was the easiest but didn't look finished. However, there are countless aftermarket engine lid options sans wing - some good, some ugly and probably not aero balanced.

I think Porsche "learned their lesson" by properly designing a feature for the 992 so you can remove the wing and make it look completely natural, properly finished AND be aero stable. The Duck Tail alone should still add sufficient stability for the 95% of the driving most will do. It will still look unique "GT3" as the Touring prototype photos look to use the standard 992S spoiler design.
It appears that those plastic panels below the rear window pop off to access a few bolts to remove the wing.

The 992 GT3 design nailed it!
Old 01-01-2021 | 05:59 PM
Carrara Design
Former Vendor

It would be pretty interesting! Good sleuthing. If you look closely, though there is your typical "PRND" stack on the gauge cluster of the "PDK" 992 GT3, whereas the truly manual 992 does not have that detail. The underpan strakes are a detail I had not noticed, and goes to show how Porsche are pulling out all the stops on this one... I'm sure there will be some other surprises as well.
Old 01-01-2021 | 06:51 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
Any wing can be removed, just that the 991 GT3 would have required a complete engine lid replacement to look finished. Plus the remaining duck tail wouldn't have provided much down force. The GT3 RS was the easiest but didn't look finished. However, there are countless aftermarket engine lid options sans wing - some good, some ugly and probably not aero balanced.

I think Porsche "learned their lesson" by properly designing a feature for the 992 so you can remove the wing and make it look completely natural, properly finished AND be aero stable. The Duck Tail alone should still add sufficient stability for the 95% of the driving most will do. It will still look unique "GT3" as the Touring prototype photos look to use the standard 992S spoiler design.
It appears that those plastic panels below the rear window pop off to access a few bolts to remove the wing.

The 992 GT3 design nailed it!
YES! EXACTLY
Old 01-01-2021 | 07:37 PM
n2cars
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carrara Design
It would be pretty interesting! Good sleuthing. If you look closely, though there is your typical "PRND" stack on the gauge cluster of the "PDK" 992 GT3, whereas the truly manual 992 does not have that detail. The underpan strakes are a detail I had not noticed, and goes to show how Porsche are pulling out all the stops on this one... I'm sure there will be some other surprises as well.
Like a hefty price increase :-)
Old 01-01-2021 | 07:48 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrara Design
Carrara, if a Jekyll and Hyde tranny is fitted as I suggest is technically possible, then I would assume that the PRND on the display would change to reflect the current mode. The 991's display the PNRD but also the M± all the time and then indicates with a red dot the current setting. The 992 PDK simply displays only the current gear as in "P" and nothing else.

I suggest what we are seeing with just the PRND is only part of the story. What about M± and the actual forward gear # selected?

We await the surprises!
Old 01-02-2021 | 06:44 PM
Chris3963
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
Carrara, if a Jekyll and Hyde tranny is fitted as I suggest is technically possible, then I would assume that the PRND on the display would change to reflect the current mode. The 991's display the PNRD but also the M± all the time and then indicates with a red dot the current setting. The 992 PDK simply displays only the current gear as in "P" and nothing else.

I suggest what we are seeing with just the PRND is only part of the story. What about M± and the actual forward gear # selected?

We await the surprises!
You guys are all just throwing darts in the air. In fact, it the exact same gearbox as the 991.2 GT3 with a different design and covering over the PDK selector. That is all.
The following 2 users liked this post by Chris3963:
-eztrader- (01-03-2021), Drifting (01-02-2021)
Old 01-02-2021 | 06:54 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris3963
You guys are all just throwing darts in the air. In fact, it the exact same gearbox as the 991.2 GT3 with a different design and covering over the PDK selector. That is all.

nice to get some real information, instead of just all our guesses!
Old 01-02-2021 | 06:54 PM
CAlexio
Race Director

Originally Posted by Chris3963
Buzzkill party popper you arte geeees... we are not here for accuracy, we are here for fantasy camp.

Now.. tell us about the movable underbody-aero solution which works in conjunction with the suspension to create the suction-effect we saw in the video.
The following 2 users liked this post by CAlexio:
993RR (01-02-2021), Jbravo23 (01-03-2021)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3 Prototype - Secrets hidden in plain sight, or not.