Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GT3RS

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022 | 05:01 PM
S.White
Racer

Originally Posted by GrantG
The extra 30hp from the 3D pistons comes on the GT2 RS where they are able to turn the boost up a bit higher without the pistons failing. This does not apply to an NA engine.
I don't think that is accurate. Where did you read that the boost was increased? I agree, more boost would provide more power. However, the actual write-ups (which I did cite) do not mention increased boost. However, they do mention lighter weight and cooler pistons which help with efficiency.

"Bionic design reduces piston weight and increases maximum engine speed
The new process presents the option of implementing a so-called bionic design. In this approach, which mimics natural structures such as the human skeleton, material is added only in loaded areas, with the structure of the piston being adapted to the load. It saves material and has the potential to make the 3D printed piston up to 20 percent lighter than its conventionally manufactured counterpart while increasing rigidity.

In addition, the developers at MAHLE have introduced an optimally positioned and specially shaped cooling gallery near the piston rings. This design is based on MAHLE’s many years of experience with thermal processes on the piston and is only possible using 3D printing. The cooling gallery reduces the temperature load at the so-called top land, a particularly stressed part of the piston, thus optimizing combustion and paving the way for higher maximum engine speeds"

In addition, stock forged pistons can handle more boost. The limitation with this engine is not the strength of the forged piston. That's a fallacy. The limitation is detonation.

I think the only way you turn lighter pistons into HP in an NA motor is to increase rpm (and the current motor makes peak power at 8,400 rpm despite a 9k redline). So, would require much more than piston change to increase power.
That is not true. Lighter reciprocating weight nets more TQ throughout the power band. NOT just at redline. It deserve to be mentioned, HP is a function of TQ and RPM.

In addition, the amount of force required to accelerate and decelerate the reciprocating assembly as it moves back and forth in the cylinder increases as RPM increases. So, power gains should grow with RPM. This explains the quote regarding increase of power with an increase in RPM allowed by these pistons. The GT2RS doesn't have peak power at redline but just short of it. If it didn't peak there, and kept climbing, an increase in RPM would increase the peak HP.

*Stock dyno graphs for GT2RS and GT3RS for reference: https://www.311rs.com/311rs-dyno-991-gt2rs-gt3rs/

As is the case with the GT3RS, peak power is well short of redline. If TQ could be increased a bit in the higher rev range, peak HP would benefit greatly. However, it may still not be enough to see that a higher redline would produce more peak power.

Cooler pistons also allow for more protection from detonation. This mimics something like a higher octane fuel. More protection from detonation provides an opportunity for more timing and/or more boost. Neither are mentioned in the articles. JUST the lighter and cooler pistons.

Detonation is also what most commonly cause piston and rod failure.

Last edited by S.White; 01-14-2022 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2022 | 06:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by S.White

3D printed pistons, revised intake + larger throttle body, revised cams, and WMI. That's probably a conservative 550HP right there while hitting or improving on emissions.
But not cost-effective.

Your suggestion, while not invalid, would essentially require quite a significant retooling of the current 992 GT3 engine used in the Cup car.

That would require quite a bit of costs by Porsche for an engine that would probably be used for one generation of the RS before Euro 7 sinks its green teeth into all of the automotive marque's best laid plans for ICE cars. I don't see PAG making that kind of financial commitment for some short term gain, esp. if we're just talking 30 hp, at most.

Porsche AG makes money left and right, and they do it not by being short sighted.

Last edited by ipse dixit; 01-14-2022 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-14-2022 | 10:25 PM
S.White
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But not cost-effective.

Your suggestion, while not invalid, would essentially require quite a significant retooling of the current 992 GT3 engine used in the Cup car.

That would require quite a bit of costs by Porsche for an engine that would probably be used for one generation of the RS before Euro 7 sinks its green teeth into all of the automotive marque's best laid plans for ICE cars. I don't see PAG making that kind of financial commitment for some short term gain, esp. if we're just talking 30 hp, at most.

Porsche AG makes money left and right, and they do it not by being short sighted.
While I don't wholly disagree, there is a precedent in recent history that conflicts with your assumption that Porsche wouldn't do something like that.
For instance,
1. the half generation GT2RS had an injection system. Never done before by Porsche and not used on any other vehicle in the line-up.
2. the very limited production 997 GT3RS 4.0 used the engine shared with the GT3R and RSR but with different intake among other things.
3. the 718 GT4 uses a unique 4L engine: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...4-photos-info/
4. Any generation Speedster
5. The 911R
6. The 991.1 GT3RS 4L
7. The 991.3 GT3RS
8. How many GT3 Cup cars do you think they make? How about GT3R? Or how about RSRs? These are all very unique vehicles with much lower production.
9. Sans injection system, there is no reason the engine couldn't be used in the 992.2 GT3, 992.2 GT3RS, GT3 Cup, GT3R, etc. etc.
10. I'm probably missing a bunch more.

Also, "retooling" costs for installing different cams, maybe a different intake or throttle body, installing a piston manufactured with a different technique (by a parts supplier NOT Porsche), and installation of an injection system much like that of the GT2RS is not out of the norm for the GT program.

If you want to talk about retooling costs, take a look at the active aero for the GT3RS, or the various new body panels, or the double wishbone suspension seen only on the GT3 and GT3RS so far.

Porsche even stated that the 3D printed piston was proven out for "future drives".

Lastly, I'm not just talking about 30hp (which is a substantial 5.7% increase). It would be at least 30hp and with better emissions. The ICE isn't going away after the 992.1. It'll stick around for the 992.2.

That all said, my scenario is of "what could be" (and for legitimate reasoning) not necessarily "what will be".
Old 01-14-2022 | 10:55 PM
PTS
Rennlist Member

. The ICE isn't going away after the 992.1. It'll stick around for the 992.2.
I sure hope so, many on these forums believe hybridization is making an appearance in the .2
Old 01-14-2022 | 11:29 PM
S.White
Racer

Originally Posted by PTS
I sure hope so, many on these forums believe hybridization is making an appearance in the .2
I also think the .2 RS will be a mild hybrid. Luckily, that means it retains the ICE….
Old 01-14-2022 | 11:44 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

While I don't wholly disagree, there is a precedent in recent history that conflicts with your assumption that Porsche wouldn't do something like that.
For instance,
1. the half generation GT2RS had an injection system. Never done before by Porsche and not used on any other vehicle in the line-up.
2. the very limited production 997 GT3RS 4.0 used the engine shared with the GT3R and RSR but with different intake among other things.
3. the 718 GT4 uses a unique 4L engine: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...4-photos-info/
4. Any generation Speedster
5. The 911R
6. The 991.1 GT3RS 4L
7. The 991.3 GT3RS
8. How many GT3 Cup cars do you think they make? How about GT3R? Or how about RSRs? These are all very unique vehicles with much lower production.
9. Sans injection system, there is no reason the engine couldn't be used in the 992.2 GT3, 992.2 GT3RS, GT3 Cup, GT3R, etc. etc.
10. I'm probably missing a bunch more.

Also, "retooling" costs for installing different cams, maybe a different intake or throttle body, installing a piston manufactured with a different technique (by a parts supplier NOT Porsche), and installation of an injection system much like that of the GT2RS is not out of the norm for the GT program.

If you want to talk about retooling costs, take a look at the active aero for the GT3RS, or the various new body panels, or the double wishbone suspension seen only on the GT3 and GT3RS so far.

Porsche even stated that the 3D printed piston was proven out for "future drives".

Lastly, I'm not just talking about 30hp (which is a substantial 5.7% increase). It would be at least 30hp and with better emissions. The ICE isn't going away after the 992.1. It'll stick around for the 992.2.

That all said, my scenario is of "what could be" (and for legitimate reasoning) not necessarily "what will be".
GT2 RS doesn’t have an injection system. It has a cheap system that sprays water on the outside of the intercoolers. Similar to what Subaru and Mitsubishi used 20 years ago by re-purposing the windshield washer sprayers.

BMW used a real water injection system…
Old 01-14-2022 | 11:55 PM
S.White
Racer

Originally Posted by GrantG;[url=tel:17906581
17906581]GT2 RS doesn’t have an injection system. It has a cheap system that sprays water on the outside of the intercoolers. Similar to what Subaru and Mitsubishi used 20 years ago by re-purposing the windshield washer sprayers.

True regarding the GT2RS. Meant to type misting system as I previously detailed. However, the difference between the two systems are minor. A different pump and a different nozzle. The controls are the same.

Even if we were to assume the different pump and nozzle were another $2000 per car…. what’s your point?

Last edited by S.White; 01-15-2022 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-15-2022 | 09:36 AM
IORR
Racer

GT2 RS doesn’t have an injection system. It has a cheap system that sprays water on the outside of the intercoolers. Similar to what Subaru and Mitsubishi used 20 years ago by re-purposing the windshield washer sprayers.

I was shocked when I heard of this water system on the otherwise incredible GT2RS...it kept me from buying the car and also led numerous friends who tracked them to sell theirs .
The following users liked this post:
FourT6and2 (01-16-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 10:07 AM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by IORR
I was shocked when I heard of this water system on the otherwise incredible GT2RS...it kept me from buying the car and also led numerous friends who tracked them to sell theirs .
The GT2 RS has never been my favorite model (more of a Manual NA guy), but that seems like a strange reason for multiple people to sell theirs (hopefully this wasn’t the main reason?).

If the intercooler sprayer allowed them to hit their power targets for sustained periods, I guess there’s no reason for something more sophisticated…

Last edited by GrantG; 01-15-2022 at 10:09 AM.
BrntRubber (01-16-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 10:27 AM
S.White
Racer

The GT2 RS has never been my favorite model (more of a Manual NA guy), but that seems like a strange reason for multiple people to sell theirs (hopefully this wasn’t the main reason?).

If the intercooler sprayer allowed them to hit their power targets for sustained periods, I guess there’s no reason for something more sophisticated…
Imagine selling a truck because you had to put DEF in it. Imagine selling an EV because you couldn’t fill it up quickly at a gas station.

Well, no, those aren’t good analogies because the vehicle wouldn’t run if it didn’t have DEF or a charge.

It’s more like, imagine selling a car because it didn’t have a bottomless washer fluid tank. Or selling it because it was Flex Fuel. NOT that you had to fill up with E85, just that you could and when you did, it gave you more power….

People have their reasons but that seems really…um…. silly.
Old 01-15-2022 | 03:29 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I dunno, maybe those owners (or potential owners) lived in areas where finding distilled water was a pain in the ****.
Old 01-15-2022 | 07:10 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
I dunno, maybe those owners (or potential owners) lived in areas where finding distilled water was a pain in the ****.
It’s in virtually every supermarket, but I guess it’s possible…

Last edited by GrantG; 01-15-2022 at 07:12 PM.
AlexCeres (01-15-2022)
Old 01-15-2022 | 07:23 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

ICE engines are not disappearing.
just read on bimmerpost that BMW is developing new generation ICE both 6 and 8 cylinders with better emissions for the future
S.White (01-15-2022)
Old 01-16-2022 | 01:34 PM
FourT6and2
Drifting

Dude. Context clues. It's sarcasm.

The guy's point is that nobody is ditching a GT2RS because of the "cheap" IC spray system lol come on.
Old 01-16-2022 | 05:37 PM
S.White
Racer

No news but while reviewing the footage previously posted, I did notice this lone test mule with a NACA duct on the hood.

Hood with single NACA duct

If you're thinking "maybe this is testing a hybrid system" like I was, it doesn't seem like that's the case. Here is screen capture of the same car of the rear glass and there is no yellow circle decal indicating electrification... it is darkly tinted, however.

This mule seems to have some early mule parts like the creased hood and smooth roof as well the late mule side splitters and front fenders.

Looks a lot like the GT2RS MR 25 hood. I don't know what the NACA duct feeds on that car. Typically, they feed brakes or driver cooling.

The following 6 users liked this post by S.White:
cadster (01-16-2022), catdog2 (01-22-2022), Finlander (01-16-2022), Gt3milz (01-17-2022), jo_ker (01-17-2022), Marcus S. (01-17-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: 992 GT3RS