Sponsored by:

questions about ordering 991 CS

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 03:20 AM
OCturbo
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default questions about ordering 991 CS

I'm helping a good friend of mine buy his first 911. We were initially looking for a 2014-15 991 C2S, but now I'm thinking getting an allocation for a new 2017-18 Base Carrera may be the way to go. 2 questions : what percentage off msrp is fair/average for an ordered car (msrp $110k) and what are your thoughts on leather interior $3.5k option (I ordered this on my gt3, but very few non gt3's/GTS seem to have this. Thanks
Old 07-16-2017, 05:12 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Leather interior is cool, but with sport plus seats it really only gets you more door/dash/airbag/rear seats in leather and a and b pillars in alcantara. The seats themselves are already leather with silver painted backs. Nice, but worth the $3400 delta? I don't know.

With the sport seats it makes the whole seat leather (otherwise the sides and back are not leather) and would seem to add more value (but actually costs $370 more as with 4 way sport plus seats adding leather drops the price from $810 to $440).

If I was not doing LTS I would just go with 4 way sport seats plus and skip the extra leather.

On a GT3 it is not just leather, the package adds a lot of alcantara (door coves, a pillar, b pillar, lower dash) so I plan to skip it (I don't like alcantara except for headliners) and just get sport buckets. Mmmm sport bucket seats. They need to make them available for a C2.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:05 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,018 Likes on 612 Posts

Evilfij has researched the leathers extensively, as you can tell. Full leather is a must have for me, at least the "basic" full leather package. 14 and 18 ways feel very different (to me), so I wouldn't base that decision on what's got leather where.
As far as discounts, I don't know the SoCal market at all, but from postings here, discounts seem harder to come by there?
I would get the build down exactly as your friend wants it and email a bunch of dealers in the Midwest (as well as your preferred local dealers), especially if the order is ready to go - it will be arriving in Fall/Winter. It gets cold here then.
My guess is +/- 6% should be possible, depending on who pays for shipping. If it's ordered soon, a fly in drive home may still be an option as well.
Have fun.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:16 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,083 Likes on 621 Posts

I poked around before buying my M2 about discounts - seemed that 6-7% was about the going rate. My bet is a nationwide search (or at least regional) is the way to go. Depending on distance I usually estimate $1-$1.25 a mile for shipping so weigh that against the discounts.

As to your leather question - totally personal taste. I have it in my car and must admit it does look nice. Had I ended up speccing a car I wouldn't have gotten it - there are other things I'd rather have on the car for that money. YMMV.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:28 AM
NF4710
Pro

Received 190 Likes on 116 Posts

Lot of strong feelings on the leather interior here on Rennlist. I don't have it and wouldn't spec it on a plain black interior but am a fan of the 2 tone leathers. At the end of the day even the base interior has very nice materials. To me the biggest improvement is not the dash but the door panels because you get the contrasting silver colored trim.

NF
Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

I agree with Keadog that you should pick sport seats or sport plus seats based on what you are comfortable in. My point (which was not clear) is that sport seats (4 way or 14 way) without full leather leave some things to be desired. The Leather is grained on the front of the seats and the sides and backs are not leather. With sport plus seats (4 way or 18 way) everything not painted on the seat is leather even if you don't get the leather interior package. With the leather interior, the sport seats get 100% covered in smooth leather. Thus, if you opt for sport seats, leather interior becomes an even more desirable option (which is not to say you have to get it or that it is not worth it with sport seats plus).

I also PMed you a couple ideas on ordering.

Quick Reply: questions about ordering 991 CS