Sponsored by:

991.2 X51 PowerKit Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 09:59 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by sticky
See, you're not understanding. What you posted was a graph of different load in different gears.
Again, it is not. Please research on Ferrari's home page or eslewhere. If you do all will become clear, for example:
"The engine's full 561 lb-ft of torque being available only in seventh gear. As on the California T, Ferrari has tailored boost curves for each gear. So in seventh, you get a torque curve as tall and wide as possible for freeway passing. In the lower ratios, boost is artificially restricted at low revs"

Would you mind explaining how this shows increased lag with increased boost?
See "response time to throttle input", previous post. Read it through a few times, I'm sure you can get there.

I have no idea what you mean by 'tuning' for an inertia dyno as a Mustang dynamometer is eddy current based which is what GIAC has in-house. You don't know what you're talking about.
Yep, I've tuned on a mustang actually. Mind explaining why the stock car's making boost 1500 rpm late?
Old 07-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Petevb
Again, it is not. Please research on Ferrari's home page or eslewhere. If you do all will become clear, for example:
"The engine's full 561 lb-ft of torque being available only in seventh gear. As on the California T, Ferrari has tailored boost curves for each gear. So in seventh, you get a torque curve as tall and wide as possible for freeway passing. In the lower ratios, boost is artificially restricted at low revs"

See "response time to throttle input", previous post. Read it through a few times, I'm sure you can get there.

Yep, I've tuned on a mustang actually. Mind explaining why the stock car's making boost 1500 rpm late?
What becomes clear? So Ferrari has boost per gear? And? What does this have to do with increased boost pressure not resulting in increased lag on the 991.2? The entire point you are incorrect about?

Regarding tuning on the Mustang, sure, I can explain it for you. Load on a dyno is not often the same as load on the street. Inertia dynos in particular will show slower spool for this reason.

Do you expect a car to spool on the dyno the same as it will in the real world? Didn't you notice different torque peaks/curves in different gears in the graph you posted?

Porsche's spool claim is from their own testing. My own testing shows the 9A2 spools incredibly quickly and 1000 rpm sooner than a BMW S55 motor on the same dyno. BMW claims it starts to spool at 1800 rpm.

I'd be happy to refer you to my testing if you like.

How does any of this change the fact you are incorrect about tuning the 9A2 engine and your claims that less boost results in quicker spool when it's the turbo hardware and engine that determines this?
Old 07-16-2017, 10:10 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

Exactly how detuned is a motor making over wheel 100 horsepower per liter? What do you think you will be picking up here exactly?
Again not answering the question, but bringing up a good example that I mentioned before. Porsche found 10% torque at 3.5k by increasing displacement 5% above. Nice showing.

The aftermarket finds over 30% torque at the same point while increasing displacement 8%. The aftermarket (and Porsche themselves, in house) also take the engine out to 4.2 liters and beyond safely and reliably. Porsche never chose to sell that.

I suppose you think Porsche is simply technically unable to keep up with other manufactures in the HP race? They are falling behind because their engineers simply can keep up with the Italians and Americans. Or maybe they are intentionally choosing to limit their offerings for other reasons? I wonder...

Old 07-16-2017, 10:16 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

What becomes clear? So Ferrari has boost per gear? And?
Ferrari uses lower boost in the lower gears to improve response. It's that simple. They spell it out. Reducing boost reduces the time it takes to reach that boost. Reduces the response time- the time from asking for 100% power to getting it.

Not hard, or at least I would not have thought so.

Load on a dyno is not often the same as load on the street.
It's the same or higher on a brake dyno like the mustang. That's the entire point.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:17 PM
Banned

Again not answering the question, but bringing up a good example that I mentioned before. Porsche found 10% torque at 3.5k by increasing displacement 5% above. Nice showing.

The aftermarket finds over 30% torque at the same point while increasing displacement 8%. The aftermarket (and Porsche themselves, in house) also take the engine out to 4.2 liters and beyond safely and reliably. Porsche never chose to sell that.

I suppose you think Porsche is simply technically unable to keep up with other manufactures in the HP race? They are falling behind because their engineers simply can keep up with the Italians and Americans. Or maybe they are intentionally choosing to limit their offerings for other reasons? I wonder...
I don't know what you're going on about. You claimed Porsche intentionally limits torque in NA motors. I'm saying that is a load of BS. Now you're deflecting to who knows what.

In the turbo engines, sure, Porsche isn't giving the 991.2 more torque to maintain an artificial hierarchy. A tuned 991.2 Carrera will stomp a 991.2 Carrera S. Just like a tuned 991.1 Turbo will stomp a 991.1 Turbo S. Didn't Porsche only change software on those btw? I wonder why.

Porsche obviously is offering incremental increases with the GT3. 3.8 to 4.0. 8700 rpm to 9000 rpm. Now we'll see 4.0 to 4.2. Then we'll see the end of the road. They aren't picking up torque with boost but displacement.

I think Porsche is offering tremendous power and performance today. It's why I bought one. So what are you talking about?

What does people in the aftermarket increasing displacement have to do with anything? Haven't people always done this? I can increase bore on my motor and take it to 3.8 liters. And? Do you like seeing yourself type or what?

Last edited by sticky; 07-16-2017 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Banned

Ferrari uses lower boost in the lower gears to improve response. It's that simple. They spell it out. Reducing boost reduces the time it takes to reach that boost. Reduces the response time- the time from asking for 100% power to getting it.

It is on a brake dyno like the mustang. That's the entire point.
How is lower boost improving response? Are you sure it isn't more of a traction issue? Boost by gear is implemented for those reasons. You're literally ignoring a 488 GTB graph with more boost that refutes you.

Lowering boost is not going to improve response. You're telling me I can just dial out some boost pressure and my turbos will spool more quickly? LMAO. Wow, I wonder what they feel like at 1 psi! You can't shift the torque curve to the left by dropping boost you can only reduce torque.

It's the turbo hardware that will determine the spool NOT THE BOOST PRESSURE. More boost, less boost, it's still going to start to spool the same based on the wheels/compressor map every time.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:24 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

How is lower boost improving response?
I don't know, go ask Ferrari. Maybe they can explain it to you, I clearly can't.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:26 PM
Petevb
Rennlist Member

And? Do you like seeing yourself type or what?
Done. Good luck sir.

Maybe someone got something out of it, sorry for taking the thread off track OP.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:28 PM
Banned

It's the same or higher on a brake dyno like the mustang. That's the entire point.
So I googled that article you quoted and are taking liberty with. Um, they don't limit boost to improve response. They artificially limit it to produce a more linear curve. Porsche tunes the 9A2 to offer a very flat curve as well but this is done to mimic an NA motor not to improve response. You literally are just making up your own narrative:

In the lower ratios, boost is artificially restricted at low revs to avoid the dull blare so many blown engines emit and to mimic the character of a naturally aspirated engine, encouraging you to chase the redline.
Not a single word about lower boost improving turbo response. You know why? Because it doesn't.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:29 PM
Banned

I don't know, go ask Ferrari. Maybe they can explain it to you, I clearly can't.
Go ask Ferrari why the laws of physics don't apply? Ok, cool.

Now with that nonsense out of the way back to the 9A2.
Old 07-16-2017, 10:30 PM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Figures as measured 991.2 S from fully closed throttle:

1800RPM ~ 3s
2000RPM ~ 2s
2300RPM ~ 1s
2600RPM ~ 0.5s
2900RPM ~ 0.3s

NA 0.3s to 0.2s - I'm not sure why people believe NA cars throttle response is instantaneous? it never has been.

The numbers above are from fully closed - this is not the real world, it is technical lag.

In the real world the .2 series hold boost for up to three seconds........so if you have been over 3000RPM........

Moreover if you have Sport Chrono you can hit the magic button which both optimises boost, response and gear.

As I have said previously, on track, lag is a complete non-issue as you're always over 3500RPM and I can't tell the difference between .2s NA car and .3s FI car - However I can tell the difference between 300HP and 400HP (delivered by the torque).

To get the thread back on track - I'm happy that Porsche have put out the official kit, this plus the remap will ensure lag is minimised through total engine management - which is far more sophisticated than stand alone wastegate management. Job done

Last edited by randr; 07-17-2017 at 12:49 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:15 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Done. Good luck sir.

Maybe someone got something out of it, sorry for taking the thread off track OP.
He wants to argue with everyone in this thread and has no concern with facts or data.

Footnotes on Thread....

7.5K gets you Porsche Warrantied bigger turbos, a tune and a plastic engine cover. Really expensive for turbos... but cheap for Porsche.

Vs the 991.1 it is less money but also far less components for similar gain - which is nothing on the street
Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm happy to pay the price for - two turbos, additional brake ducts, carbon fibre "plastic" cover - plus the Porsche factory engine remap which ensures all components work throughout the system e.g. anti-lag strategies, engine mapping through to PDK and PTV - E.

The price for reliable integration and plus warranty is well worth it.

I actually understand what the boost control/management is, and throttle response variability is under and off load.

R-rated no one gives a stuff about the 991.1 in this thread or frankly, from my perspective at all - this is a thread about a kit that you can't fit to your car - stop derailing a thread yet again.

Quick Reply: 991.2 X51 PowerKit Now Available