Sponsored by:

991.2 X51 PowerKit Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 10:45 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by surquhar
Dude get off your high horse and take ten seconds and do a google search. Sorry I thought people here were car enthusiasts that enjoy comparing all new cars. You know reading c/d, motor trend, etc. Don't worry, just go back to your funny gifs (I know you know how to google) in the HFS thread where the biggest topic is " Is this car HFS worthy"

Brother, why all the angst and anger?? You don't seem to share your own philosophy. I'm fine with 991.2's or whatever. I told the .1 guys the same thing about the ECU tunes. I don't discriminate.

Anyway, thanks for following my work. Its quite flattering
Old 07-15-2017, 10:49 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by sticky
It's a matter of basic turbo understanding. You don't have to 'follow' other brands. If you don't know what you are talking about though why would you say you can't gain 70+ hp?

You mention a hardware change is needed. Well, Porsche is providing you that hardware change. That is what the larger turbos are.

The hardware is capable of much more than 30 hp. As is the factory Carrera and Carrera S turbo hardware.

That is why I shared the compressor/turbine wheel sizes with you.

I can't give you a video of a GTS beating a 911 Turbo as I'm not in charge of what GTS owners do with their cars and I am also unaware of any GTS tune being out already.

However, you have a timeslip of a C4S with a tune on 21's running 11.1.

More data, videos, etc., will come out. I'll provide a video of my car for you as soon as I get a tune. I'll make it versus a 911.1 Carrera S just for you.

Hey I'm with you on the hardware. Thanks for the data on the .2's.

Look at .2 Turbo S >> to the new GT2 RS. Crazy what they're pushing with what seems to be same basic engine. Amazing cars and that's cool. Me, I'd take a .2 GT3 or .1/next .2 GT3 RS. Just my preference as you have yours. Why Porsche makes a zillion 911 variants which is the real story here. Who the hell has been able to pull that off with a single model?? Nobody.

Nice chat and have a good night.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:51 PM
STG
Race Director

Really not trying to DISS DA TURBOS guys, just not a believer in these ECU tunes, although I can imagine them being more effective on turbos of course.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:52 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
It's a shame you can't apply the X51 kit to the base Carrera. Gaining 80 hp for $7500 bucks would be a great deal, especially since the engine internals are all the same.

It's clearly too much of a bargain for Porsche to stomach. And nobody would buy a Carrera S.
We can only dream. The .2 S is priced out of sight for us working stiffs and found the base at least as powerful as the .1 S. Having a hell of a time trying to use all the hp my base .2 C2 puts out in lower CT.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
I told the .1 guys the same thing about the ECU tunes.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by STG
Hey I'm with you on the hardware. Thanks for the data on the .2's.

Look at .2 Turbo S >> to the new GT2 RS. Crazy what they're pushing with what seems to be same basic engine. Amazing cars and that's cool. Me, I'd take a .2 GT3 or .1/next .2 GT3 RS. Just my preference as you have yours. Why Porsche makes a zillion 911 variants which is the real story here. Who the hell has been able to pull that off with a single model?? Nobody.

Nice chat and have a good night.
It's not crazy they are hitting 700 horsepower as it is a 3.8 liter twin turbo flat-6.

It's not about personal preference here. I'm talking about the power kit and tuning. That has to deal with turbochargers.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:59 PM
STG
Race Director

Name:  photo617.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  348.6 KB

Name:  photo430.jpg
Views: 975
Size:  362.9 KB
The following users liked this post:
cryptical1200 (07-31-2019)
Old 07-15-2017, 11:11 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Brother, why all the angst and anger?? You don't seem to share your own philosophy. I'm fine with 991.2's or whatever. I told the .1 guys the same thing about the ECU tunes. I don't discriminate.

Anyway, thanks for following my work. Its quite flattering
Brother there is no angst and anger. I will say you are the master of deflection! Don't worry though - in a few months there will be a lot of .1's hot for sale.
Old 07-15-2017, 11:13 PM
STG
Race Director

Originally Posted by surquhar
Don't worry though - in a few months there will be a lot of .1's hot for sale.

I sure as hell hope so!!

They are at their lowest inventory levels EVER and have actually increased in price this past year!! I'm having a hard time doing my hobby. More cars for sale would be a blessing. Anything you can do to help would be appreciated. Not sure your plan, but fill me in! I'll assist you
Old 07-15-2017, 11:15 PM
surquhar
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

See what I mean. Lmfao
Old 07-16-2017, 01:21 AM
digits
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 186 Posts

I don't like alcantara and blacked out wheels and the blackeyes around the LED headlights and the lower spoiler on the GTS so I "settled" for a C4S, so to speak, but I have all the perf/handling options you get on the GTS except for the bigger turbos. I couldn't bring myself to click the powerkit button for $12K (although it includes more than just the bigger turbos for that price). Now I get to revisit this whole decision tree all over again?

I am quite seriously thinking about this. Gonna call my local dealership and see if they are up for it.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:33 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,591 Likes on 5,083 Posts

Notice what 911 the people who think this isn't a bargain have...

What really cracks me up are the guys saying 'only' 30 hp. Do they not realize you can throw a tune on top? It's a turbo upgrade with the factory's blessing that with a tune should put the car ahead of a 991.1 Turbo. You're buying potentially 100+ hp not 30.

Is it a value now?
Maybe you are new to tuning turbo motors or to the 9A2 engine? I mean the only thing funny there is your lack of platform knowledge.

Not to worry, I'll tutor you. Here's specs taken from this article: http://www.****************/content.p...ocharger-sizes

9A2 3.0 991.2 Carrera

Horsepower: 370
Torque: 332 lb-ft
Boost Pressure: 13.1 psi
Bore x Stroke: 91mm x 76.4mm
Redline: 7500 rpm
Compression Ratio: 10.0:1
Intercooler: Air to Air
Turbos: 49mm compressor/45mm turbine

9A2 3.0 991.2 Carrera S

Horsepower: 420
Torque: 369 lb-ft
Boost Pressure: 16.0 psi
Turbos: 51mm compressor/45mm turbine

9A2 3.0 991.2 Carrera GTS

Horsepower: 450
Torque: 405 lb-ft
Boost Pressure: 18.0 psi
Turbos: 55mm compressor/48mm turbine

Now, look at a tuned graph for the 991.2 Carrera from GIAC:

Notice 100 lb-ft of torque AT THE WHEELS gained at 3000 rpm. This is on a more conservative Mustang dyno which I myself have also dyno'd my 991.2 on.

Peak power goes up by 54 as the curve levels off toward redline. That is roughly 75 crank horsepower or so depending on what drivetrain loss figures you ascribe to. Yet you just stated that isn't possible? Well, it's staring you in the face.

So, you think the GTS with its larger wheels that will hold the torque curve further to right will not show larger horsepower power gains with a tune?

I'd love to hear why.

You're paying for a factory backed and tested turbo upgrade with the potential of offering over 100 horsepower over the Carrera S 420 as I already stated. Maybe now you'll understand.
Originally Posted by STG
Every ECU Tuner has graphs to sell their product. I'd like to see it out on a straight line in real world.

All I ever see are graphs and never any real world proof. No videos ever. Show me a video of a .2 C2S or GTS beating a .1 Turbo S

No hardware changes and 70HP+?? Ain't buying it.

Anyway, have fun
I can lead you to the water but I can't force you to drink it.

The amount of turbo or forced induction vehicles gaining 70+ hp tune only these days is too long to list. I can see why this is shocking for 991.1 owners.

Somewhat disappointing the level of technical discourse among Porsche owners isn't higher caliber.
It's a matter of basic turbo understanding. You don't have to 'follow' other brands. If you don't know what you are talking about though why would you say you can't gain 70+ hp?

You mention a hardware change is needed. Well, Porsche is providing you that hardware change. That is what the larger turbos are.

The hardware is capable of much more than 30 hp. As is the factory Carrera and Carrera S turbo hardware.

That is why I shared the compressor/turbine wheel sizes with you.

I can't give you a video of a GTS beating a 911 Turbo as I'm not in charge of what GTS owners do with their cars and I am also unaware of any GTS tune being out already.

However, you have a timeslip of a C4S with a tune on 21's running 11.1.

More data, videos, etc., will come out. I'll provide a video of my car for you as soon as I get a tune. I'll make it versus a 911.1 Carrera S just for you.
Whomever gets the software to flash to allow it will have the golden tuning key.

It's just a matter of time. Just by then you will probably have hybrid options if not new turbo options altogether.
Don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said.

But the problem with the aftermarket tunes (like GIAC et al.) is the warranty.

X51 maintains the OEM warranty. That, to me, is worth the price admission alone, even if I come up some 80 hp short versus some aftermarket shop.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Don't necessarily disagree with anything you've said.

But the problem with the aftermarket tunes (like GIAC et al.) is the warranty.

X51 maintains the OEM warranty. That, to me, is worth the price admission alone, even if I come up some 80 hp short versus some aftermarket shop.
I agree. What I'm saying is there is headroom in that hardware as well. Let's say your warranty period runs out or whatever. You have larger turbos capable of more flow than Carrera or S turbochargers.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:45 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,591 Likes on 5,083 Posts

I agree. What I'm saying is there is headroom in that hardware as well. Let's say your warranty period runs out or whatever. You have larger turbos capable of more flow than Carrera or S turbochargers.
I don't keep my cars OOW.

So all this talk is irrelevant. To me, at least.
Old 07-16-2017, 02:12 AM
randr
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm likely in for the kit - great result, lots of head room and my car was pre - prepped e.g. SC and PSE. Good to go. Great gains across the whole curve without the very high losses associated with high revving NA engines. .

Suncoast PM'd

Quick Reply: 991.2 X51 PowerKit Now Available