Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Took a Dump....

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 04:11 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts
Default Fuel Pump Took a Dump....

I am at 48k miles on my 991 C4. Two days ago I start the car and it seemed like it took a little longer then usual. Nothing major. No problem driving it. I parked for two days. This morning I am getting ready to go see a client luckily I was leaving super early, as I have a spot to hang out before the meeting. Now the car takes a really long time to start. I put it in gear and I get this....

Fuel Pump Failure

FML. I limp the thing over to the Porsche dealer 15 miles away. Thankfully its rush hour so no one can really go more then 35 because thats about all the car can do. Also note if you ever get into limp mode do NOT under any circumstances stop the car on an uphill slope . Two guys pushing Trabant could accelerate faster then the 991 can when its in limp mode on a hill start. Getting going again almost didn't happen.

Thankfully my local dealer was really cool, they gave me a Cayenne Diesel as a loaner car which has totally changed my mind about diesel in these things. It does work and work really well. I made it up to my clients site with plenty of time to spare and all was well. If I had left cutting it much closer then this I would have been f'ed.

Bottom line the high pressure fuel pump took a dump and they are overnighting a new one to be installed tomorrow. Car is under warranty so zero cost to me. Should I out of pocket pay for the fuel filter to be replaced? Not sure what the maintenance interval is on that or if the car even has one. Major kudos to my dealer for not only getting me a loaner but a really nice one with literally zero notice. I rolled into the dealer at 7:30 when they opened and was back on the road 15 minutes later.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:35 AM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice service from your dealer! I agree with your thoughts on the diesel. I haven't driven a Cayenne Diesel, but my wife an Audi A6 TDI which she loves and was hoping wouldn't be subject to mandatory buyback. Turns out her generation of car will be repaired, not bought back, and between Audi and Bosch we will get paid about $10k ($8k from Audi). I realize the market value of these cars is questionable given the scandal, but I think my wife will drive this thing for a long time so it's less of a factor.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:43 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

My guess is that the pump has an internal, built in, fuel filter?? So, not service-able, maybe you're getting a new one with the new pump??
Old 07-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Thumbs up to your dealer. Ask them about the filter and whether it's integrated, as LexVan suggested, or it would be an opportune time to change it.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:44 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
My guess is that the pump has an internal, built in, fuel filter?? So, not service-able, maybe you're getting a new one with the new pump??
I just looked in the shop manual and the filter is separate but connected to the fuel pump IN the fuel tank. So you know these will never be changed out. I wonder why anyone would design a system like this unless they are really trying to eliminate fuel leaks or for more protection if car is in a front end collision.
Old 07-13-2017, 12:47 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
I just looked in the shop manual and the filter is separate but connected to the fuel pump IN the fuel tank. So you know these will never be changed out. I wonder why anyone would design a system like this unless they are really trying to eliminate fuel leaks.
Ouch that's a major engineering blunder.
It's cheaper to change the filter than the entire fuel tank...
Old 07-13-2017, 01:00 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
At least looking at the diagram when you pull the pump and filter out of the tank it looks like an octopus with hoses and wires.
Old 07-13-2017, 03:02 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Confirmed filter is integrated to the pump ie its inside the tank (what a dumb *** idea) Just about every car I have ever owned prior to this had an inline filter that could be swapped at "x" mile interval.

Per my dealer....

The fuel filter is actually part of the fuel pump and is never replaced unless
the pump has to be replaced. So technically never needs replacement for
maintenance.

I have a feeling long term is going to be an issue for all 991 owners in light of the fact that the high pressure pump has a non-serviceable filter. The fact I could drive the car in limp mode means the fuel is still pumping but not at the pressure it wants/expects. Betting the pump is fine but the filter is clogged.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:28 PM
raaizin
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 63 Posts

I have a feeling long term is going to be an issue for all 991 owners in light of the fact that the high pressure pump has a non-serviceable filter. The fact I could drive the car in limp mode means the fuel is still pumping but not at the pressure it wants/expects. Betting the pump is fine but the filter is clogged.[/QUOTE]

I have never changed a fuel filter and retired several cars with 200k miles on each. I changed 2 in tank fuel pumps at about 150k miles(Maxima & Explorer). Both were surgically clean. The looked like brand new tanks inside and cars were about 10 years old at the time. I dont think this will be an issue
Old 07-13-2017, 05:31 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Guys, relax, Porsche has not had a serviceable fuel filter since the 993 (1996-1998). Not sure about the 986/996 series. The 987/997 don't have a serviceable fuel filter.
Old 07-13-2017, 09:28 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

More concerned with the DFI pumps since those run at a far higher pressure rate then what was on the 996 and 997.1 era cars. Here is a DFI pump in action...
Old 07-13-2017, 09:52 PM
pfan
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 45 Posts

Haven't heard of any issues with the low pressure sender pump or filter in the tank. The high pressure pump on the engine seems to be the one that fails.
Old 07-13-2017, 11:57 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
Maybe, but also pretty common in many recent cars. I helped my daughter with a fuel problem in her Subaru, and accessed the combined pump-filter through a hatch in the floor below the back seat. Apparently the days of separate fuel filters plumbed into a line between the tank and engine are gone (and would not protect a pump in the tank).
Old 08-20-2017, 06:52 PM
ScottBoyd
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The "filter" you guys refer to in the tank with the pump is actually just a strainer. Sometimes called a sock.

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Took a Dump....