Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Protection Film - Partial or full body wrap?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 08:01 AM
leanofpeak
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Paint Protection Film - Partial or full body wrap?

I have been using PPF since its inception. From trucks to sports cars its been the best thing since sliced bread.

Last car I wrapped half of the front end, ie front bumper then half way up the hood and fenders, headlights and mirrors. It proved to be sufficient.

Next car I am considering the entire body.

Wondering what your thoughts are on this. Would the rear quarters require wrapping on a 991.2 GTS? My previous 997.1 GT3 (narrow body) did not have wrapped rear quarters and never experienced any kind of rock chips to that area.

Here are the options:

Full hood
Full front fenders
Front bumper
Precut multi-piece
Custom
Lights
Mirrors
Doors
Full rear quarter panels
Roof
Rear bumper

I appreciate your comments...
Old 07-06-2017, 08:26 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

It comes down to the difference in money. Otherwise I would do what is listed plus 2 ceramic coats over the entire car.
Old 07-06-2017, 08:35 AM
leanofpeak
Rennlist Member

Dang. Just noticed I misspelled "paint" while naming this thread. Oh well, seems appropriate enough as rock chips can be "painful"...
Old 07-06-2017, 08:43 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

I did everything but the rear bumper and deck lid. So thankful I went that way.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:47 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 401 Posts

After owning my 991.1 C4S for just over 3 years and 65K miles I would do more plastic wrap then I did.

I went with full front coverage including mirrors and the car already had the stone guards on the rear fenders.

I would add:
Leading edge of roof
Trailing inside edge of both front and rear fenders
Underside of the rear bumper right behind the tires .... if not the entire rear bumper.
Old 07-06-2017, 10:50 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by CSK 911 C4S
After owning my 991.1 C4S for just over 3 years and 65K miles I would do more plastic wrap then I did.

I went with full front coverage including mirrors and the car already had the stone guards on the rear fenders.

I would add:
Leading edge of roof
Trailing inside edge of both front and rear fenders
Underside of the rear bumper right behind the tires .... if not the entire rear bumper.
Not the rear fenders entirely? That's the add on I am most glad I did.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:12 AM
DNorby
Racer

I did none at all. I could touch up or spray later on if I needed to. $2,000 or more to protect the paint is a little too much for me.
Old 07-06-2017, 11:22 AM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

After having my last 2 cars partially filmed, I've decided that I'm not going to do it this time with my TTS. At least not for now. Even though they work great, there are some little things that still bug me about them and imo, the whole thing is getting out of control. So far now, I'm just going with a paint correction and nano coat.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:14 PM
bwiele
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

My choice was to do the whole front end, including mirrors, A-pillars and leading edge of the roof in front of the Targa top in PPF. They also did a strip along the door sills that continued rearwards onto the rear fender flares (replacing the factory film there). Then the whole thing was ceramic coated.

Practically speaking, there's no way to prevent some normal wear and tear on the car unless you just keep it in a bubble. My approach is to protect the highest risk areas with PPF, reinforce the scratch resistance in the lower risk areas with the coating and then be sure I wash and dry it with appropriate care. That feels to me like an appropriate balance without going overboard. And it's kept my cars looking like new even after they're not.

Last edited by bwiele; 07-06-2017 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 07-06-2017, 12:24 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

My 991.2 is 11 months old with about 6500 miles and I wrapped the entire front clip when I bought it. The car has spent the last eight months in Colorado and the front wrap shows several divots where it fended off flying stones. My windshield also has a number of small chips and there's even a small chip at the leading edge of the roof.

Based on this, I think I'd be very unhappy if I hadn't wrapped the car. But Colorado is a tough environment and I'd recommend talking to other people where you live.
Old 07-06-2017, 01:58 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Received 259 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Rambler_13
After having my last 2 cars partially filmed, I've decided that I'm not going to do it this time with my TTS. At least not for now. Even though they work great, there are some little things that still bug me about them and imo, the whole thing is getting out of control. So far now, I'm just going with a paint correction and nano coat.
You are a brave man!
When will we go for a spin so I can check out your new toy?
Old 07-06-2017, 02:16 PM
J.Ho
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got mine back today from a 1/2 wrap (front end and mirrors)
Attached Images   
Old 07-06-2017, 02:16 PM
Rambler_13
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Bemo
You are a brave man!
When will we go for a spin so I can check out your new toy?
Soon my friend! I was away all last week and will be away this weekend but let's plan a CT drive within the next couple of weeks.

I've been going back and forth on the film since I bought the car a month ago but I've just decided to pass for the time being. The decision is kind of liberating tbh.
Old 07-06-2017, 03:03 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

For the money they charge you could paint the car. But just to keep chips and rash off the front I would do the front bumper and hood at least .
Old 07-06-2017, 07:44 PM
nav991.2gts
Intermediate

My '17 GTS now has 3800km on the clock. I wrapped the entire vehicle. Living in Alberta that has winter 1/2 the year, it takes them 2 months to clean all the sand off the roads in spring time. Well I can't wait another 2 months to take my baby out for a rip waiting for the city to be cleaned.
The areas I'm most glad that I wrapped are:
Rear quarter panels, side skirts, and rear bumper (especially under rear bumper behind rear wheels). The tires are so wide and sticky that they grab every little pebble on the road and fling all throughout the wheel well and then out the back. The rear quarters already have noticeable dents and sand blasted feeling on the PPF. I'm also thinking the extra protection will pay for itself either in resale or at least time saved having touch ups and parts being repainted, etc.

Quick Reply: Paint Protection Film - Partial or full body wrap?