Sponsored by:

Rennlist phishing PSA.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 03:54 PM
Gus_Smedstad
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Rennlist phishing PSA.

I recently received a phishing email in Rennlist colors.
Originally Posted by Phisher
Hello

Its our duty to monitor your account for possible fraudulent activity. We need to confirm that you or someone authorized to use your account made the following activity(s) on your account. Before we can re-activate your account this step must be taken to verify your membership.

Please note - you must complete this step to be able to continually post messages on the Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums forums. You will only need to visit this URL once to verify your membership.
The URL, needless to say, was bogus, and didn't match the displayed URL. The dopey intro text and poor grammar ("continually post?") would be a giveaway even without the fake URLs.

So why now, and why the Rennlist camouflage?

I had a post on my user page from Lauris50 asking for advice on buying "991.2 Cayman or 911." A bit odd to post a visitor message instead of a PM, and of course there's the nomenclature error, but what the heck, not every perspective Porsche buyer knows the model designations.

The account has PM's disabled, so if you want to reply privately, you have to send an email. So I sent an email with some broad advice. Hours later, the phishing email.

The odds seem good that the whole purpose of the account is a crude attempt to harvest a few email addresses of Rennlist posters. The account has two messages, one in a relevant thread here, one in the 928 forum (!). There's no way how many accounts Lauris50 has posted visitor messages to, but I suspect it's more than a few.
Old 07-04-2017, 04:27 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for the headsup. Already on my ignore list.
Old 07-04-2017, 06:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The two computers I use to access this site have both had to fend off malware from this site multiple times, and the mac has had adware automatically downloaded from here multiple times. Between that and the horrible moderation in the classifieds forum, you wonder if IB even has anyone administrating this website.

BTW, I got the same visitor message from that Lauris guy, so he must be spamming everyone.

Quick Reply: Rennlist phishing PSA.