Sponsored by:

Porsche Connect

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 08:30 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by JacJen911
Can somebody tell me what other services this provides besides a hotspot in the car to connect other devices. I'm not 100% clear I know what else the Service gives me?? And if I need to continue it
Not a lot you can not do with a smartphone and AAA card.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:31 AM
JR956678
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JacJen911
But, Porsche gives you car connect for one year. So those services should remain for one year regardless of the ATT data plan which I understood was for wifi in car only? I am confused?!?!
It's confusing.

You indeed get a year of Porsche Car Connect services with a new (capable) Porsche vehicle. You also get a year of Porsche Connect services as well. BOTH services require a wireless connection to the internet. IIRC I have heard that the PCM actually has more than one cellular radio that connects to the internet.

One is enabled through the use of the SIM card in the front slot. You get a "trial" AT&T SIM card and after the end of the trial period you can either sign up for a data plan and keep the SIM card active, forget about it and stop using it, connect the PCM to a mobile phone "hot spot" to provide data services, or get a regular SIM card from your existing provider and on your existing plan and use that. Like most any GSM phone, it doesn't matter so much who provides the SIM card as the PCM will work with more that "just" an AT&T SIM card. Regardless of which option you pick, Porsche Connect services need an active internet connection to work - either a valid SIM card from a cellular provider or a mobile phone tether. If the trial SIM card has expired without being renewed then Porsche Connect services will no longer work.

Porsche Car Connect also needs an internet connection but I am not 100% certain it uses the same cellular radio as Porsche Connect. I have heard it said that the PCM has a second cellular radio that is used for "manufacturer purposes" and there is a SIM card for that radio as well but it's hidden to keep end users out of that portion of service. For example this could be how PCNA could disable a stolen car or provide location information to law enforcement. Porsche Car Connect either uses the first cellular radio connection or it uses this second cellular connection and I don't really know which. I guess I could find out by pulling the SIM and seeing if I can still connect to the Car Connect service.

ETA: So I just tested Porsche Car Connect. First I removed my AT&T SIM card and then launched the Car Connect app on my phone - and it connected to the PCM in the car and updated to the latest car information. IMO this sort of confirms that there is indeed more than one cellular connection in the PCM. One I know is used for Porsche Connect services because they won't work without a front panel SIM with an active data plan, and the other is used for "manufacturer" related services and Porsche Car Connect uses that second connection.

Last edited by JR956678; 07-05-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:11 AM
AeroStormGT
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you are missing one digit in the SIM number.

Originally Posted by freeman727
The site will not let me register the card. It gives me a generic error. I will talk to Porsche and AT&T today and report back.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:32 PM
JR956678
Instructor

Originally Posted by AeroStormGT
I think you are missing one digit in the SIM number.
^^^ This. AT&T uses a 19+1 (or 20 numbers long) SIM ID number and the screenshot only has 19 numbers in it.
Old 07-05-2017, 05:32 PM
freeman727
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JR956678
^^^ This. AT&T uses a 19+1 (or 20 numbers long) SIM ID number and the screenshot only has 19 numbers in it.
You guys are right. I was missing one digit. I guess my trial expired, which is strange b/c I took delivery of the car on 4/28/17. It doesn't matter. The Porsche Connect services are the state of smart/connected cars at the moment. I'm underwhelmed and like others have said it is worse than apps on the phone. I just need to get a good phone mount.

Until we can have Kit from Knightrider or mind reading technology, I will stick with my phone.
Old 07-05-2017, 07:29 PM
JR956678
Instructor

Originally Posted by freeman727
I'm underwhelmed and like others have said it is worse than apps on the phone. I just need to get a good phone mount.

Until we can have Kit from Knightrider or mind reading technology, I will stick with my phone.
No disagreement on my end. Most of the apps are actually things I not only don't need my car to provide - I rarely if ever use them on my phone. The only things I think are / might be useful out of the Connect services are the software update and the NAV map update features. While my new car doesn't have any updates for either, my old one actually did have a map update that included the state where I live and I did update it online. That said - I could have tethered my phone or even could have connected to my home WiFi service to do the update.

Quick Reply: Porsche Connect