Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY 911.2 Oil Change. Younger guy seeking guidance!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 03:08 PM
sampelligrino
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 281 Posts
Default DIY 911.2 Oil Change. Younger guy seeking guidance!

Hey all,

Approaching 400 miles on my beloved .2 C4 and thinking ahead to following some of the suggestions on here to do my first oil change at 1000 miles.

Being a younger guy in the "millennial" generation, most of my life I've been fortunate (and lazy) being able to spend money to have others do things for me for maintenance of my home, my car, etc... but I'm looking to change that and actually start by changing the oil on my C4 myself for the fun of it. Actually, I already started changing by replacing the flapper valve on my toilet myself last week, huge amount of work I know I replaced the stereo head unit and wheels on my old 04' Subaru WRX wagon back in college and it was a lot of fun!

I'd really like to actually do as much DIY on this car in terms of maintenance as I possibly can in my garage, as I already spend enough time in there just staring at my car when I'm not driving it. I'm excited by the challenge/"getting your hands dirty" aspect of it as a cool form of therapy for me to just sit in the garage with my 911.

Here's the problem, I have just about no tools right now since I just moved back home/relocated to Honolulu from Seattle, and I've never been a knowledgable DIY guy, aka I'm a dummy at this stuff for now.

I've already started some research online and found these very helpful threads:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-diy/...il-change.html

https://www.reddit.com/r/Porsche/com...il_change_diy/

Here are my questions!

1) Is there any difference for the 991.2 from the 991.1 for changing the oil if I'm going to follow those guides? Maybe different oil? Or is anything located differently? I will also consult the owner's manual.

2) Anyone have recommendations on good tools they recommend for getting this job done? I know I need: a 36mm socket, 8mm socket, socket wrench, torque wrench (is a digital one good to read the torque "tightness" for the 37 and 19 ft-lbs? never used one before!), oil drain pan, new oil filter, an "o-ring" and "crush ring" (no idea what those are), the oil itself, and to quote stealthboy: lots of towels I'll likely buy the tools from Amazon.

3) On the 991.2 (which is 10mm lower than the 991.1 Carreras I think), will I need to lift the car? I think using ramps for rear tires and jacks for the front? I don't have a sloped driveway. I want to install a car lift in my garage for future maintenance but let's do this first oil change first

4) Confirming notables I picked up: getting the oil to operating temperature before draining (will look up operating temp) and disconnecting the engine ventilation fans for safety

Any other tips/guidance/advice is greatly appreciated. This job has been quoted to take 35 minutes but I plan on taking much longer and enjoying the process, making sure I try not to mess anything up too much

As a way to say thanks and also contribute back, I'm going to document the process and post my own thread with pictures after I get the job done for future DIYers looking to do their own oil change on their .2's if it's any different/for reference.

Thanks

Sammy

P.S. Here's a couple pics of the car since I love seeing pictures on these threads
Attached Images    
Old 06-27-2017, 04:52 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Can't speak to the 991.2 differences, but I'm sure you'll be just fine. It's very straightforward. Just did another oil change this past weekend and it took all of 20 minutes.

And each time I do it I need fewer towels .

To be clear the 8mm piece is an allen wrench socket - like a five-sided thing. It's not a socket like the 36mm socket part is. The 8mm allen is used to loosen the drain plug at the bottom of the engine. Who knows if they changed anything with the 991.2 - I think I heard a rumor about a non-metallic drain pan at the bottom. Definitely let some 991.2 folks weigh in here.

Beautiful car!

P.S. - this last weekend I did an oil change, engine air filter change (removed rear bumper), spark plug change, and flushed the brake fluid. It's amazing how relatively easy it is to work on these cars still.
Old 06-27-2017, 05:26 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts
Default 991.2 Oil Change Procedures

Here is the link from a member (bkrantz) who actually took the time to share his knowledge with the group.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9892...th-photos.html

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 06-27-2017 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Credit to member

Quick Reply: DIY 911.2 Oil Change. Younger guy seeking guidance!