Sponsored by:

CPO Service Requirements

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 02:19 PM
Pete
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO Service Requirements

Did a search but didn't see an answer. I purchased a '14 CPO Carrera S in April and will be needing oil and filter change in the next few months. I live about 100 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer and nearly 200 miles from the dealer I purchased the car from. I had my '97 Carrera serviced for 10 years and my 944 for at least that long by a local mechanic who specializes in Euro cars, mainly Porsches, and who maintains several track day cars and used to track and maintain his own 997 GT3. I trust him completely. I emailed PCNA to ask if I could have oil and filter service done locally by an independent mechanic and not void my CPO warranty. Here is the reply I got:

Porsche recommends all service or maintenance be completed at one of our authorized Porsche dealerships, as it is possible that having work completed at an independent location can affect your CPO warranty.

I just emailed them to pint out the ambiguity in their reply, namely "recommends" and not requires; "it is possible" not that it will; and "can affect" not will void. Any thoughts or experience on this topic?

Thanks,
Pete
Old 06-15-2017, 02:59 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just make sure it's documented, they can't force you to use the dealer. Why does it need service so soon though? CPO should have service up to date.
Old 06-15-2017, 03:31 PM
leopard print
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They can recommend but not force you to use a specific garage. The only way they can "void" your warranty is if they prove the oil change from the independent garage was directly related to what failed on the car (if something happens to fail). Just keep receipts and document everything and you'll be fine.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:39 PM
FiveRiversGTS
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See this link and then click on:
What's not covered:

"Parts that fail due to lack of required maintenance or use of non-Porsche Cars N.A. distributed parts."

CPO Click Here

Hope this helps.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:34 PM
Pete
Instructor

Thanks guys! I just got back a week or so ago from a 4000 mile trip so I've put about 5000 miles total on the car since I got it in early April. I got a message on the display saying I'll need an oil change in 900 miles so I'm just thinking a little ahead.

I asked the service guy at the dealer I bought the car from if I could have oil and filter changes done at a non-Porsche shop and he said yes but better to use a dealership (of course). Basically you guys have confirmed this is OK and I always keep all service records. I've also used Mobil 1 and Porsche filters.

I don't have anything against Porsche dealer service, I just don't want to spend a day and 250 miles for an oil and filter change once per year. My intent right now is to see a dealer for the 30K, 40K, etc.

Thanks again!
Pete
Old 06-15-2017, 10:42 PM
GrandLaker
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just mention moss magnuson act.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:12 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,105 Likes on 665 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete
Thanks guys! I just got back a week or so ago from a 4000 mile trip so I've put about 5000 miles total on the car since I got it in early April. I got a message on the display saying I'll need an oil change in 900 miles so I'm just thinking a little ahead.

I asked the service guy at the dealer I bought the car from if I could have oil and filter changes done at a non-Porsche shop and he said yes but better to use a dealership (of course). Basically you guys have confirmed this is OK and I always keep all service records. I've also used Mobil 1 and Porsche filters.

I don't have anything against Porsche dealer service, I just don't want to spend a day and 250 miles for an oil and filter change once per year. My intent right now is to see a dealer for the 30K, 40K, etc.

Thanks again!
Pete
Pete, that's exactly what I did with my CPO Boxster a few years ago. I took care of my own oil changes and other minor services, using Porsche parts (and keeping receipts). And I used the local dealer for the 20K interval services.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:41 PM
Pete
Instructor

Hey Guys, just got a call from a nice young man from the Porsche Contact Center. He had responded to my question about the CPO warranty if oil and filter changes were done at other than a Porsche dealer. I had sort of criticized his answer because of the ambiguity. In our phone conversation he told me that if something were to go wrong in the oil/filter change that lead to damage, it would not be covered by the warranty. We didn't talk specifics but I envision something like not getting the filter on tightly and a leak occurring or not putting in the correct quantity of oil or something like that. To not cover subsequent damage from something like that wouldn't be unreasonable in my opinion. I explained to him that I wasn't going to take my car to the nearest Speedy Oil Change for a $19.95 special!

Anyway, the call was another example of good service that I've experienced from Porsche, PCNA or local dealers, in the past few years. Here's hoping it continues.

Pete
Old 06-16-2017, 03:48 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
Just make sure it's documented, they can't force you to use the dealer. Why does it need service so soon though? CPO should have service up to date.
This has not been my experience. About all a CPO warranty means is the car is not manifesting any issues, none of the warning lights are on, and in my experience that the past their replace by date tires are in fact replaced.

If you don't get paperwork with the CPO car showing services are up to date then they probably aren't.

When I bought a CPO 996 Turbo I called around to the various dealers in the area and asked if the car had been serviced there. I found a couple of dealers which had serviced the car and then found out what services had been done and when so when I took possession of the car I knew what was needed and what was not needed.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:12 PM
Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by Macster
This has not been my experience. About all a CPO warranty means is the car is not manifesting any issues, none of the warning lights are on, and in my experience that the past their replace by date tires are in fact replaced.

If you don't get paperwork with the CPO car showing services are up to date then they probably aren't.

When I bought a CPO 996 Turbo I called around to the various dealers in the area and asked if the car had been serviced there. I found a couple of dealers which had serviced the car and then found out what services had been done and when so when I took possession of the car I knew what was needed and what was not needed.
I don't quite understand your post. Of course I have the CPO paperwork including the check list of everything and all service was up to date when i got the car. The CPO warranty is basically a 2 year extension of the factory warranty.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:17 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

I don't understand, it it was up to date, and you put 5k on it, why does it need another service? You should be good for another 5k or one year from last service.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:20 PM
Pete
Instructor

Originally Posted by saeyedoc
I don't understand, it it was up to date, and you put 5k on it, why does it need another service? You should be good for another 5k or one year from last service.
10K between oil and filters? Not my car
Old 06-16-2017, 04:56 PM
whoddoo
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Oil is Cheap Insurance

Completely agree,...I do my own oil changes every 5K miles as it brings me peace of mind.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:10 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

Now it makes sense

Quick Reply: CPO Service Requirements