Setting lock options.....road to madness

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 12:52 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Setting lock options.....road to madness

While I am thoroughly enjoying my ED 911.2 Carrera in Europe, the inability of the car to remember personal or key settings is driving me mad. The car won't seem to remember the settings I set to the 1 Position or the "Key" positions on the door panel. When I enter the car, the mirror is wrong and the seat is sometimes wrong. It won't remember to unlock all doors when opening the locked car from the driver's door.

In the owners manual under "Setting Lock Options" with the MFD, it indicates a selection of Vehicle - Settings - Locking - Auto memory. My MFD does not have this choice. I've got the "Memory" package on the car as evidence by having the memory switch bank on the door panel.

What am I missing?

Other than this, I'm enjoying the drive through the Bavarian Alps.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:28 PM
stevewilm
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Understand your pain. I have been through this with my dealer and elevated it to corporate. Evidently, there is no Auto Memory on the 2017 cars. So you have to save your settings to the key, so if you change the A/C or seat position you would have to resave it to the key for it to default to.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:29 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

My 2017 C2S had the same problem, I could not set my memory to "key" option. The other setting options worked fine, 1 & 2.
Dealer reprogrammed the module that stores the settings and everything worked fine afterwards.
Old 06-15-2017, 01:29 PM
FloridaMarco
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fred, I had the same problems on my 991.1 and my wife's Macan. Finally I got a fellow from Porsche N.A., down here in sunny southwest Florida on a corporate field trip, to walk me through it. I did what he said to do, without changing anything within the routine, and it worked for me. Here are the steps:

1. Make sure only one key (the one you want to use for settings) is anywhere near the car.
2. Get in the car, start the engine, and make all your settings: Seats, mirrors, temperature, steering wheel.
3. Drive the car for a minute or two. (I know, the manual does not say you have to do this!)
4. While you are driving, please be careful, complete Steps 5 and 6 below. Do not brake while doing these.
5. Press the "Set" button, then press the "1" button, and listen for a beep. Wait a few seconds.
6. Wait a few seconds, press the "Set" button, then press the button with the "key" icon. Another beep.
7. Turn the car off. Get out, with your key. Do not lock the car with your key.
8. Lock the car by pushing the button or indentation on the driver's door.
9. Leave the proximity of the car, with your key. Don't go back for a minute or two.

You're done!

From now on, when you use the key to unlock the car, your settings should be saved and put things where you told the car to put them. It actually does work for me. And in my wife's Macan, which I drive as "2," it also works. The only time it doesn't work is if, say, I drive her car and then do not lock it. When she gets in to drive, everything is in "my" position, because the car does not change to hers just because she has her key in her pocketbook. The car has to be locked by the key. (Not in the initial setup! See Step 8.) All she has to do, of course, is hold the "1" button down for a few seconds to get her settings back.

But back to your car. You may now retrieve the second key and repeat the steps above for "2," if you choose, changing to "2" in Step 5 above).

I hope this works for you!
Old 06-15-2017, 01:39 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks to all for your suggested solutions. At first I thought that receiving two keys at delivery, and carrying the second key in my luggage in the trunk was causing the "confusion" to the electronics. But I've also been on day trips leaving the spare key at the hotel and still things operate erratically. I'll live with it for the remainder of my trip, and get it sorted out when the car arrives stateside.

Quick Reply: Setting lock options.....road to madness