991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips advice for 911 purchase AWD v RWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2017 | 08:22 AM
rai
Instructor

Thanks for all the replies, it really sounds like it can go either way. But I am leaning towards AWD.

I live in the North East so I'll be driving in COLD temps to say nothing of rain. I really noticed with both M3 and S2000 in cold temps the grip of summer tires was like 70% and snow tires have inherently a lot less grip to begin with, so AWD would be a good thing.

I understand its a trade off, neither is 100% better than the other in every aspect.
Old 06-15-2017 | 08:42 AM
BlackBeauty
Rennlist Member

Even if you get AWD you're going to want snow tires, below 45 degrees your PZeros won't have the same grip.
Old 06-15-2017 | 08:52 AM
mb1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vwduud
My favorite view every morning.

Totally agree. I've been thinking that since making the switch from 2 to 4 in 2007.
Old 06-15-2017 | 11:55 AM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by malibuboy
The grip and feel on the road are noticeable different.
IMHO, most if the "road feel" difference people say they're getting on dry roads, except when driving near the limit, could be replicated simply by putting bricks in the frunk of a 2...

Originally Posted by malibuboy
I am very impressed by the road feel of the base C4. I haven't even tried sport mode yet!
NO! BAD BOY! DOWN! Never drive in "normal" again! It's only purpose is to miser one last gram of gas on the EPA mileage test. Trust me, you'll thank me later. The car was never designed to be driven in "normal" anywhere. Even just two blocks down the road to buy groceries. ALWAYS SPORT/SPORT+. ALWAYS.
Old 06-15-2017 | 12:17 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dewinator
... ALWAYS SPORT/SPORT+. ALWAYS.
+1.

My routine everyday:

1.) Start car
2.) Sport+ enabled
3.) Rain? No - Targa top opened
Old 06-15-2017 | 12:34 PM
vwduud
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dewinator
IMHO, most if the "road feel" difference people say they're getting on dry roads....
While I do tend to drive "less spirited" in the rain, the AWD, whether placebo or actual, does give me a better sense or "feeling" of control. Especially on the 2 lane roads that I drive to and from work on, where a mistake puts you in a 10 to 12' ditch.
Old 06-15-2017 | 12:47 PM
DNorby
Racer

I like rear drive only, less things to go wrong in the future and less cost.
Old 06-15-2017 | 01:41 PM
saeyedoc
Pro

I picked my car based on age, options, mileage. Couldn't care less whether it's RWD or AWD, but of course we don't get much freezing weather here.
Old 06-15-2017 | 02:32 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by vwduud
While I do tend to drive "less spirited" in the rain, the AWD, whether placebo or actual, does give me a better sense or "feeling" of control. Especially on the 2 lane roads that I drive to and from work on, where a mistake puts you in a 10 to 12' ditch.
Oh yeah in the rain AWD is definitely a huge plus, no argument there! I'm just saying in the dry you need to be driving near the limit to get the actual benefit in cornering speeds.
Old 06-15-2017 | 05:18 PM
clemsondds
Rennlist Member

Occasionally, I like to drift my 435i around some corners. Can you do this easily with the C4? Thanks
Old 06-15-2017 | 05:44 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by clemsondds
Occasionally, I like to drift my 435i around some corners. Can you do this easily with the C4? Thanks
No, but you can take it off some sweet jumps.

Old 06-15-2017 | 06:00 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

I've had other driftable cars... the best was a C6 Corvette and you could almost directly dial in the amount of tail out by the accelerator pedal and increase/decrease as needed through the curve. It felt really safe and drivable there.

My 4S just hooks up too well. The only times I've truly drifted this car are on the autocross track when I'm trying to drive at 100%, accidentally go past its limits, but then don't back off (since it is a rare moment to enjoy). On the streets I try hard not to go there and other than a rare small slide on overly-smooth pavement I can't say I've ever drifted it or tried to... and those were due to my old PZeros getting a little too slippery too. The car just doesn't feel like it wants to go there. Part of the reluctance may be somewhat to me getting a bit older and wiser too.
Old 06-17-2017 | 12:58 PM
rai
Instructor

I'm not sure, have not driven either. But just thinking about the layout.

It 'seems' like the RWD should be more sporty, i.e. More like the GT3 layout might be a tradeoff in that it's less all around.

GT3 can be used on the street but may not be best daily drive car.

Just think RWD closer to GT3 and AWD might be better for daily driving but might be less engaging.

If I lived where there was no rain, snow, extreme cold weather I'd probably just get the RWD done, but I'm thinking of Maryland where 100 days a year it's cold or rainy in parts of the day.

Last edited by rai; 06-17-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2017 | 01:53 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Originally Posted by rai
Thanks for all the replies, it really sounds like it can go either way. But I am leaning towards AWD.

I live in the North East so I'll be driving in COLD temps to say nothing of rain. I really noticed with both M3 and S2000 in cold temps the grip of summer tires was like 70% and snow tires have inherently a lot less grip to begin with, so AWD would be a good thing.

I understand its a trade off, neither is 100% better than the other in every aspect.
I don't understand your comment regarding summer/winter tires. You should not really be running summers when ambient temps drop below 45F regardless of AWD/FWD/RWD, and winter performance tires (PA4s) have significantly more grip than any summer tire even on cold, dry pavement.

I ran PA4s on my C2S this past winter. I did not drive on snow, but had zero issues on roads that were cold, wet, and icy in spots. You will not understand the level of grip a RWD 911 has until you feel the engine squat down on 295 rear tires
Old 06-17-2017 | 03:08 PM
RODOLFO04
Racer

you can totally power drift a C4 with no problem,

just take the traction control off

Well ofcourse it all depends that you are not in super grippy roads

Quick Reply: Tips advice for 911 purchase AWD v RWD