Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How is it remotely possible that my new 991.2 . . .

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Plimpington2
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How is it remotely possible that my new 991.2 . . .

. . . doesn't have enough power for me anymore??? This is a damned sickness.

This is my first Porsche, and when I first got it, I was scared of it and hardly pushed it. And then I drove it a bit harder, and bit harder and NOW I wish it had a bit more. It seems to me this will never end though . . .

I have definitely had a love-hate relationship with this thing (a 991.2 C4). It still makes a awful racket at low speeds when engaging and disengaging the clutch (which Porsche won't touch - insisting it is "within spec", though it is clearly wrong as four techs at two separate dealers have clearly told me), and as a "car" it is sub-awesome (which is why I continue to believe that unless you DRIVE it, you're better off in an audi or Mercedes or whatever . . .heresy here, I know).

But damnit, what it does, it does SO well. And for the first 6 months I was telling myself I would never get another Porsche. And now I feel like I can't be without it's particular set of charms, and will probably get another one despite myself.

One other thing - I think PSE (or some aftermarket alternative) is mandatory and shame on Porsche for not including it on the base.

Judd
Old 06-11-2017, 09:34 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,239 Likes on 2,729 Posts

Originally Posted by Plimpington2
. . . doesn't have enough power for me anymore??? This is a damned sickness.

This is my first Porsche, and when I first got it, I was scared of it and hardly pushed it. And then I drove it a bit harder, and bit harder and NOW I wish it had a bit more. It seems to me this will never end though . . .

I have definitely had a love-hate relationship with this thing (a 991.2 C4). It still makes a awful racket at low speeds when engaging and disengaging the clutch (which Porsche won't touch - insisting it is "within spec", though it is clearly wrong as four techs at two separate dealers have clearly told me), and as a "car" it is sub-awesome (which is why I continue to believe that unless you DRIVE it, you're better off in an audi or Mercedes or whatever . . .heresy here, I know).

But damnit, what it does, it does SO well. And for the first 6 months I was telling myself I would never get another Porsche. And now I feel like I can't be without it's particular set of charms, and will probably get another one despite myself.

One other thing - I think PSE (or some aftermarket alternative) is mandatory and shame on Porsche for not including it on the base.

Judd
Doesn't matter what you get - over time, you will get used to it. Taking a break from it helps. I drive my Land Cruiser - that usually does the trick.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:56 AM
erko1905
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I recommend taking it to the track with your regional PCA. Getting passed by cars with half your power is a really humbling and eye opening experience, it might make you reconsider what's enough power for you.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:18 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^1000% correct. And if that doesn't work trade it in for a GTS.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:32 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Turbo S. "Not enough power" will be a distant memory if that's all that's important to you.

Pick up a nice 991.1 with low miles.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:46 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 180 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by STG
Turbo S. "Not enough power" will be a distant memory if that's all that's important to you.

+1. I own a 991.1 GTS and there is no comparison to the Turbo S. It's nuclear fast. I personally wouldn't trade my GTS for a Turbo S though. It's faster but that's not the end all be all. Take yours to the track as suggested and see how you fair. Instead of investing in more torque in a new 911 you may find its more valuable to put your money into a performance driving school to become a better driver. You have an exceptional sports car right now that will take years to learn how to drive it to its limit on a track.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:49 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by STG

Even a lot of those guys boost more... insane but I bet fun on a runway.

This is also why the argument for generation preference is a bit silly as each generation os going to get faster. It has to for any car brand to stay alive.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:54 PM
stephen k
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rk-d
Doesn't matter what you get - over time, you will get used to it. Taking a break from it helps. I drive my Land Cruiser - that usually does the trick.
rk-d hits the nail on the head. A not as stellar DD will help you manage your feelings for the 911.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:57 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen k
rk-d hits the nail on the head. A not as stellar DD will help you manage your feelings for the 911.
Mine feels like a rocket after driving my 5 series with a 4 cylinder
Old 06-11-2017, 02:30 PM
Benedict14
Burning Brakes

Received 291 Likes on 148 Posts

I'll echo some previous posters - take it on a track. You'll taste the fear again, and realize that the car is faster than you. Humbling is the word I'd use. Auto-cross is another cheaper, though less fear inducing option.

The comments about your transmission concern me. Unless you're unusually sensitive, it shouldn't sound like that. Get another opinion.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:21 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 353 Likes on 209 Posts

3rd for taking to a track. You shouldn't be anywhere near the limits of the car on a public road. And you'll learn that how (and how much) you slow down is infinitely more important than how you speed up.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:42 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The first time you drive on a track, will be the first time you realize you don't know how to drive.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:52 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 181 Posts

Plimp2- there is always faster, more features, better technology or the color you should have selected. I agree, the base .2 is a fast car, but it is not a rip-roaring torque monster, but it is not that kind of car. Enjoy if for its' best features and that all in all, it is a damn fast machine that will never go out of style. So an S, GTS or Turbo may scratch that itch, it may just be for a short time until that itch returns.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:06 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 983 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Plimp2- there is always faster, more features, better technology or the color you should have selected. I agree, the base .2 is a fast car, but it is not a rip-roaring torque monster, but it is not that kind of car. Enjoy if for its' best features and that all in all, it is a damn fast machine that will never go out of style. So an S, GTS or Turbo may scratch that itch, it may just be for a short time until that itch returns.
My 981 BS is faster than any 930 built which was THE car to get in the 1980s when I was growing up (if you were a Porschephile). I had posters of this car on my wall.

The 991.2 base engine in PDK form is faster that the fastest super car in the 1980s (the 959).

And we are going to smak down the 991.2. How much more do we need?

Originally Posted by 81911
The first time you drive on a track, will be the first time you realize you don't know how to drive.
This is the truth. I thought I was a fantastic driver until I pushed a Porsche on a track and figured out how important it is to understand how to control shifting weight through throttle, braking and steering control when the car is near its limits. Now I consider myself a novice.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:14 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 958 Likes on 572 Posts

Not enough "power"?

Are you looking for raw acceleration? Maybe trade the Porsche for some current monster American iron, and then swap in a (numerically) higher rear end. It might top out at 100 mph, but will push your eyeballs into your head.

As for track thrills, yeah you might appreciate your car in a new light. But if you want a raw track experience, trade the Porsche for a single seater, even with moderate power. A true race car will again knock your socks off compared to any street car.

Quick Reply: How is it remotely possible that my new 991.2 . . .