Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delivery Issues

Old 06-19-2017, 03:20 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by sechsgang
Apparently a LOT of PTS porsche cars recently need extra work leaving the factory. The quality control is either slipping or the paint itself is poorer...a few dealers have mentioned this. So they very well could have retouched a panel.
I think it was posted (?Eduardo) in another thread that some of the externally supplied parts are painted by the subcontractor. Perhaps they are not color matching PTS samples accurately?
My Viper Green Targa finally made it to Emden 6/12. I guess we'll see how long it takes to get to the dealer.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:34 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 519 Likes on 197 Posts

I think you are over-reacting. I think the dealer does owe you some discount due to the delay, but so what if some minor paint or body work needs to be done at the port. There is no damage report, the car is delivered as new, and is under warranty. Things can go wrong, and whether something is repaired at the factory or port is irrelevant. I don't think it is financially worth it to walk away from the car. The car you have ordered will be delivered soon, enjoy it. I think you are frustrated by the unexplained delay, I would be too.
Old 06-19-2017, 04:27 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSMeister
The damage amount varies by state and can be found with some careful searches. For Washington state, (RCW 46.70.180) no disclosure is required unless the cost of repair is 5% of the car's value or $1,000 whichever is greater for actual repairs at the dealer labor rate plus supplies. For replacement parts wholly exchanged, no disclosure is needed at all. So a rear bumper replaced doesn't count. The law section doesn't differentiate if repairs are made in the US or somewhere else but it does say that the manufacturer has the same obligation to disclose to the dealer. So Porsche could just not tell the dealer that they had to make repairs since at 5% that's a lot of repairs.

Since we have two examples in this thread of delays at the port and both are PTS and we also know that some cars require repairs one could conclude that these delays are due to special paint being needed for those repairs. Of course a guess, but logically could be the case.
If there is a concern that a new car has been damaged and repaired, the person placing the order can inquire about repairs. Although a dealer is not legally compelled to volunteer repairs on new cars unless a threshold repair amount is reached, a dealer must answer truthfully if the buyer makes an inquiry. An email to the Sales Manager would be the way to go.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:11 PM
SEG
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Providing an update. I seem to have gotten to a customer service person at Porsche NA who cares about the situation and is trying to get answers. He has apologized a number of times. As of this morning, what I know is there is a non mechanical quality issue with the built car that is serious/material. Beyond that he either won't tell me or doesn't know, despite repeated requests to explain the specific issue in writing. Additionally, there is no timeline for repair of the issue nor is there a timeline for delivery. He has committed to continue to try to get me answers.

At this point I decided I don't want a $150k car with material quality issues nor do I want a 2017 MY car delivered when 2018 MY cars are being delivered. On top of that, if the car is delivered in September, I will be able to drive it for 6-8 weeks then need to put it in storage for the winter while I make payments on the car, pay for insurance and storage and incur depreciation. A financial loser.

I made a proposal to the dealer that involves canceling the order, purchasing a used boxster or cayman out of dealer stock for cash to preserve my tax rollover, pre-trading that car back in November for an agreed upon price a few thousand less than what I will pay and ordering a non PTS 2018 GTS for delivery at the beginning of spring with the same discount I now have on my to be delivered car. Not sure if they will accept my proposal. If they don't accept it, I told the dealer I am canceling the order and will pick up my deposit check on Friday and re-evaluate everything over the winter.

So at some point, there is going to be a lovely PTS Yachting Blue Metallic Manual GTS for sale in the northeast. Hopefully someone posts pictures.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:01 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Sorry, SEG--you have my sympathies for an unfortunate and frustrating experience, compounded by Porsche treating you like a mushroom. Hard to imagine what should have been a truly special and rewarding lifetime experience turned into weeks of aggravation (and a potentially compromised outcome).
Old 06-22-2017, 07:13 PM
Werks 1
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with SEG......Cancel the order and order MY2018. Regardless of what PORSCHE tells you, you will always wonder what the truth is........ The dealer will be able to sell the car......thats not a problem.....and they should give you a very reasonable discount for all your trouble..... I would also complain to PCNA. I reached a "settlement" with them several years ago on a new car..... At the time they were very fair
Old 06-27-2017, 08:00 PM
SEG
Intermediate

Update - Thanks all for the support. Here is where things stand. Despite a few ultimatums and some voice-raising with PCNA and my dealer, I finally got the information I was looking for. I would like to clarify at this point that the dealer really wasn't the issue - once I got into it, the dealer was trying hard to get information as well. Two weeks to the day after opening a case, PCNA finally let me know that the car was flagged for a quality issue related to the front bumper. I understand the color was a shade off of the rest of the car and it needed to be stripped to zero and repainted so the paint meter/depth would match the rest of the car. The PTS process is to blame for the longer than expected repair time. They assured me this was the only issue and the car would be on a boat within two weeks from last Friday. I told them that would have been fine if they had just let me know (or fixed it quicker so I would never have needed to ask questions) but at this point, I was extremely angry and wanted to walk from the car over the experience. PCNA said they understood and there was no issue getting back my deposit.

I thought about it a bit and still really want the car. They offered up two years of free scheduled maintenance. I asked for two tuitions for Porsche driving school in Alabama, which they agreed to. So with the extra dealer discount, the maintenance and the driving school tuitions, I feel I have been compensated for the delays and the less than stellar customer service.

I should have the car by the end of July - looking forward to it.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:09 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,450 Likes on 798 Posts

Squeaky wheel gets the grease. I wouldn't fret much over the repaint; they'll do it right, and you won't be able to tell, and there will be no documentation of it ever, other than this thread... ;-)
Old 06-27-2017, 08:31 PM
DerekS
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 51 Posts

SEG I'm glad this worked out. As I understand it, plastics are hard to match against metals - at least that's what body shops tell me. They probably have the process "nailed" for stock colors.

It sounds like they were trying to do right by you by initiating the repair, but the poor communication certainly didn't help.

Sounds like a win for everyone and we all look forward to your car!
Old 06-27-2017, 10:46 PM
ak432
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SEG
Update - Thanks all for the support. Here is where things stand. Despite a few ultimatums and some voice-raising with PCNA and my dealer, I finally got the information I was looking for. I would like to clarify at this point that the dealer really wasn't the issue - once I got into it, the dealer was trying hard to get information as well. Two weeks to the day after opening a case, PCNA finally let me know that the car was flagged for a quality issue related to the front bumper. I understand the color was a shade off of the rest of the car and it needed to be stripped to zero and repainted so the paint meter/depth would match the rest of the car. The PTS process is to blame for the longer than expected repair time. They assured me this was the only issue and the car would be on a boat within two weeks from last Friday. I told them that would have been fine if they had just let me know (or fixed it quicker so I would never have needed to ask questions) but at this point, I was extremely angry and wanted to walk from the car over the experience. PCNA said they understood and there was no issue getting back my deposit.

I thought about it a bit and still really want the car. They offered up two years of free scheduled maintenance. I asked for two tuitions for Porsche driving school in Alabama, which they agreed to. So with the extra dealer discount, the maintenance and the driving school tuitions, I feel I have been compensated for the delays and the less than stellar customer service.

I should have the car by the end of July - looking forward to it.
I need to take you negotiating with me the next time I buy a car!

I'm in the same boat as you but they just gave me a hug and said don't worry about it...it'll get here soon.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:45 PM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Nice outcome.

In the end, be happy they they care enough to catch this AND fix it before you get the car.

If it made it out of the paint shop then it couldn't have been THAT noticeably different, but some QA guy decided he wasn't having it.
Old 06-28-2017, 12:56 PM
Porscheforever
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So much negativity & stress involving a purchase of a car. I would've walked out with all the delay and frustration. IMO purchasing a car should be a lovely experience from day 1. But Kudos to you for going through it until the end.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:47 AM
SEG
Intermediate

Update - hello everyone. As detailed above, the drop dead date for the car being put on a boat per PCNA Customer Service was 7/7. I emailed on the 6th and the rep confirmed the car was in fact on a boat. Awesome. Should have the car by end of July I thought. Well 18 days later the system hasn't been updated and car is still showing in Emden. The rep has been very apologetic and indicated that over the last week or so he sent a number of emails to Germany about the status of the car which remain unanswered. I don't much care about more freebies - I just want the car.

I can't seem to escalate this past a nice, apologetic, contrite gentleman in Atlanta and he is out of answers.

Anyone have any ideas? I know I can just walk and order an '18 for delivery in the spring but I won't order PTS again under any circumstances (so this is my shot at a PTS car) and as the winter rolls around and it is time to place the order, I know I am going to start weighing whether it makes sense to wait for the 992 prolonging the wait even further.

How does Porsche not work harder to get this fixed. I have their money - they need to turn inventory. I can't for the life of me understand how a bumper repaint is taking 3 plus months.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:04 AM
911sTO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In situations ilke this, I go to the top

oliver.blume@porsche.de
Peter.Schwarzenbauer@porsche.com
Old 07-25-2017, 01:46 PM
SEG
Intermediate

So I received a call from a supervisor in atlanta who informed me that the car is still not fixed and will 'hopefully' be fixed next week but no guarantees and absolutely no time line. He acknowledged I was looking at a September delivery if all goes well. Taking the car just to store it for the winter 10 weeks later doesn't make any sense. I asked if there was any way to register my displeasure with the process and he indicated my car was a 'hot issue' internally and everyone was well aware of how terrible the experience has been, including the lack of information, misinformation, etc. That said, there will be zero recourse from Porsche and the offered freebies all go away if I don't take this car.

I called the dealer and officially cancelled the order. I have been searching for another one but very few manuals available in the US. I will likely start over with a new order in December for March delivery, without PTS. I am pretty bummed but will keep this in perspective.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Delivery Issues