991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Here...M4 Owner Considering 911

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2017 | 09:11 AM
saeyedoc
Pro

If you don't need the real rear seats or the extra money in your pocket, it's a no brainer. Prior to my 911, we had a 335, M3, then Cayman S. The engine in our E90 M3 was amazing, but as said earlier, its struggled to put the power down. With all that weight over the rear axle, the 911 has no such problem. Better in every respect imo.
Old 05-29-2017 | 09:14 AM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Both awesome cars.

We've also owned a number of BMW's over the years (in fact, wife still daily drives '17 BMW X6M).

Porsche is miles ahead in driving experience, feel and transmission. BMW wins in technology (I'm still shocked Porsche does not have HUD...).

The M3/M4 definitely give off different perceptions to people than someone who pulls up in a 911.

Sounds like you have more 911 experience than I, as I'm barely two months into the 911 club, but I can't imagine not picking a 911 between those two options if you are comfortable with the financial side if it.
Old 05-29-2017 | 09:18 AM
srfr13
Track Day

I traded in my 2015 M4 for a 991.2 C2S Cab about a month ago. The M4 was a great car for the price, It was built very well, and it’s biggest issue was with power delivery. The C2S is a significant jump in many ways, PDK vs DCT, Throttle Response, Power Delivery and of course handling. It’s lighter, smaller, faster, and sounds better than the M4. The convertible top on the 991.2 is fantastic and I installed a SmartTop. I do miss the BMW HUD. Hope this helps.
Old 05-29-2017 | 09:50 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Originally Posted by Hawkeye911
Both awesome cars.

We've also owned a number of BMW's over the years (in fact, wife still daily drives '17 BMW X6M).

Porsche is miles ahead in driving experience, feel and transmission. BMW wins in technology (I'm still shocked Porsche does not have HUD...).

The M3/M4 definitely give off different perceptions to people than someone who pulls up in a 911.

Sounds like you have more 911 experience than I, as I'm barely two months into the 911 club, but I can't imagine not picking a 911 between those two options if you are comfortable with the financial side if it.
Yes - I always state I wish my 911 had LESS electronic "stuff" but HUD would be something I've love! Maybe put it in Sport and get a giant Tach haha. Love the HUD in my 5 series. Maybe my favorite part of the car. Also - hasn't corvette done this for like 30 years???
Old 05-29-2017 | 10:09 AM
phow
Pro

The 991.2 C2 or C2S is an excellent daily driver.

If you take $$ out of the equation, the only reason to go for the M4 is if you need a more practical vehicle that is still sporty and fun. You go with the Porsche if fun is the ultimate goal and practicality isn't as much of a concern. This is not to say the 911 isn't practical. As far as true sports cars go, it's probably one of the best.

The 911 is on a whole different level when it comes to driving experience. I, like many others, was and still am a big fan of the older M models. BMW has really fell into a slump in the past 10 years. I really hope they find their way out of it as the brand has so much potential.
Old 05-29-2017 | 12:00 PM
CombatChuk
Rennlist Member

I just placed an order for a 911 Targa GTS... But I was considering an M4 with Competition Package. I figured that for half the price I'd get 85% of the fun. But it wasn't even close...

The dynamics of the M4 vs a 911 (Granted I test drove a C2S not a GTS that I ordered) is completely different. You sit quite a bit lower in the 911 and car just kind of wraps around you. Where as the M4 you just got in like any other BMW car. The steering feel in the 911 was vastly superior, the ride was also more composed yet the grip levels were higher than the BMW

Engine power was similar, like others felt the 911 put it down much better. The M4 had a little bit of lag down low but not too bad. The C2S was more linear. The Porsche interior is better, but the M4's interior was also a nice place to be (Full Disclosure, another car I was considering as a new Lotus Evora 400. So any German interior looks great to me)

There's a reason why they cost so much more... But it's worth it IMO. If BMW would ever give the M2 the S55 engine, then they'd have something special but it would defeat the purpose of the M4.
Old 05-29-2017 | 02:05 PM
mikex25

Originally Posted by CombatChuk
I just placed an order for a 911 Targa GTS... But I was considering an M4 with Competition Package. I figured that for half the price I'd get 85% of the fun. But it wasn't even close...

The dynamics of the M4 vs a 911 (Granted I test drove a C2S not a GTS that I ordered) is completely different. You sit quite a bit lower in the 911 and car just kind of wraps around you. Where as the M4 you just got in like any other BMW car. The steering feel in the 911 was vastly superior, the ride was also more composed yet the grip levels were higher than the BMW

Engine power was similar, like others felt the 911 put it down much better. The M4 had a little bit of lag down low but not too bad. The C2S was more linear. The Porsche interior is better, but the M4's interior was also a nice place to be (Full Disclosure, another car I was considering as a new Lotus Evora 400. So any German interior looks great to me)

There's a reason why they cost so much more... But it's worth it IMO. If BMW would ever give the M2 the S55 engine, then they'd have something special but it would defeat the purpose of the M4.
they are putting an S55 in the new M2 CS

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/04/10/bmw-m2-cs-also-feature-s55-engine-production-march-2018/
Old 05-29-2017 | 02:26 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Almost bought an M3 myself until the wife got me to test drive a 911. I liked the M3 but was amazed by the 911.

IMHO, BMW **** the bed with the following:
1. Size - why do M's keep getting bigger and bigger, it's like an old 5 series!!
2. Engine noise coming through the sound speaker, really BMW?
3. Turbo motors - this topic has been beaten to death and regardless of everyone's opinion, it is in direct contradiction to previously established core ///M principles of maintaining NA motors!
4. Electric steering - although the 911 has electric steering too, it is vastly superior, again in my opinion.
5. Farty exhaust!
6. Weight.

I love BMW as a car company, we have 2 BMWs in the family, but when it comes to the ///M division they need to get their act together, fast!
Old 05-29-2017 | 02:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bemo
Almost bought an M3 myself until the wife got me to test drive a 911. I liked the M3 but was amazed by the 911.

IMHO, BMW **** the bed with the following:
1. Size - why do M's keep getting bigger and bigger, it's like an old 5 series!!
2. Engine noise coming through the sound speaker, really BMW?
3. Turbo motors - this topic has been beaten to death and regardless of everyone's opinion, it is in direct contradiction to previously established core ///M principles of maintaining NA motors!
4. Electric steering - although the 911 has electric steering too, it is vastly superior, again in my opinion.
5. Farty exhaust!
6. Weight.

I love BMW as a car company, we have 2 BMWs in the family, but when it comes to the ///M division they need to get their act together, fast!
You realize everything you said up above applies to the 991.2 911, right?
Old 05-29-2017 | 04:34 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

I was cross shopping a new M4 with a CPO used 991.1 C2S. I drove them back to back.

The biggest thing to me was seating position and how I felt a lot more connected in the 911. But the M4 felt faster with it's turbo motor. I just couldn't get over the upright seating position when compared to the 911. I came from a 981 Cayman S, so the 911 obviously felt more natural. Before my Cayman I had an E92 335i. Build quality and reliability cannot be compared. Porsche all day long. I don't think I could own another BMW, except for maybe a 1M or older M3 (E46/E92)

Good luck in your search for your new ride.
Old 05-29-2017 | 05:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Except the engine noise through the speakers and the farty exhaust. Those are both shameful, particularly the former. The sound symposer tube is nothing compared to BMW active sound. It's terrible.
Old 05-29-2017 | 07:35 PM
fishskis
Advanced

Originally Posted by srfr13
I traded in my 2015 M4 for a 991.2 C2S Cab about a month ago. The M4 was a great car for the price, It was built very well, and it’s biggest issue was with power delivery. The C2S is a significant jump in many ways, PDK vs DCT, Throttle Response, Power Delivery and of course handling. It’s lighter, smaller, faster, and sounds better than the M4. The convertible top on the 991.2 is fantastic and I installed a SmartTop. I do miss the BMW HUD. Hope this helps.
I love the HUD. In fact, it is the thing I think about most that I will miss. I'm telling myself that the 911's Nav display in the instrument panel will be just as good. Maybe I am a little optimistic here.
Old 05-29-2017 | 07:56 PM
991Esq
Intermediate

I came from a 2015 M4 (6MT) to a .2 4S (PDK). Most of the responses above cover the differences. However, you will miss the torque in the M. On the rare occasions when the M did get traction, the kick in the pants was far greater. I know the 911 is faster overall in terms of stop-watch etc., but it just does not feel like it when comparing it to the M. I think you will miss the torque in the non-S .2 even more. Still, I would not go back for all the reasons stated above.
Old 05-29-2017 | 10:21 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 991Esq
I came from a 2015 M4 (6MT) to a .2 4S (PDK). Most of the responses above cover the differences. However, you will miss the torque in the M. On the rare occasions when the M did get traction, the kick in the pants was far greater. I know the 911 is faster overall in terms of stop-watch etc., but it just does not feel like it when comparing it to the M. I think you will miss the torque in the non-S .2 even more. Still, I would not go back for all the reasons stated above.
Agreed, that S55 may sound like a giant fart, but it has a STRONG torque game.
Old 05-29-2017 | 11:09 PM
Bemo
Drifting

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Indeed!
I drive a 991.1 GTS...

Quick Reply: New Here...M4 Owner Considering 911