Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Wheels - Front and back the same?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 11:17 AM
Agger
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.1 Wheels - Front and back the same?

Newbie question: My 2015 Carrera S got a scratch on the back passenger-side wheel yesterday, and that pretty much summed up the day right there ;-)

To replace that I'm considering buying a set of four on eBay or from Suncoast (or somewhere like that).

I just had two wheels replaced because of a nasty pothole and I noticed the dealer charged different amounts for the front and back wheels. And having just replaced the tires, I know those are a bit difference although both 20"

Is there a physical difference between the front and back wheels?

Thank you,
John
Old 05-28-2017, 11:35 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 898 Posts

Yes. The back wheels are wider.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:40 AM
n8kruger
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

If it's just a scratch, why get a new one? You can usually have them repaired and refinished. It's usually around $100.

Google alloy wheel repair or ask your dealer who they use.
Old 05-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Agger
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Dennis C: Thank you

@n8kruger: You would think so, right? I had two places look at a similar wheel with 2" scratch (surface only), and both said that while it could be repaired, they would not be able to match the color and therefore declined the job. One was a Porsche dealer - the other a respectable detail shop. I think plan B is to slowly build a spare set and have it painted.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:11 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

theres a hundred places that repair wheels. wheel enhancement, etc. they make them better than new.
If you scratch your door , you dont throw away the car and get a new one, do you?
Old 05-28-2017, 10:12 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by Agger
@Dennis C: Thank you

@n8kruger: You would think so, right? I had two places look at a similar wheel with 2" scratch (surface only), and both said that while it could be repaired, they would not be able to match the color and therefore declined the job. One was a Porsche dealer - the other a respectable detail shop. I think plan B is to slowly build a spare set and have it painted.
Most dealerships, Porsche and otherwise, don't do their own wheel repair anyway. Like the others recommend, I'd go for a repair for a simple scratch. I suggest checking with your local higher-end dealers like Lexus to see who does their repair. They have this done routinely for used cars they are reselling. In most cases it requires very close examination to find evidence of a repair. No one but you would probably ever know.

By the way, as Dennis pointed out the back wheels are significantly wider, but they also have a different hub offset as well.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:31 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 626 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis C
Yes. The back wheels are wider.
And the offsets front and rear are different.

(and the rear offsets are different between C2/C2S and C4/C4S models, so pay attention when you buy wheels)

Quick Reply: 991.1 Wheels - Front and back the same?