Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What experience do people have with polymer sealants like net sheild or Cquartz?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 04:25 PM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 711 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
I have generally use liquid wax a couple of times a year, but the guy who details my car is trying to talk me into one of these. How much better than 'old fashioned' waxes are they? How much to pay and how long to they really last?

Jim
Coatings are the evolution of waxes and sealants. It's like comparing a typewriter to a computer. I'm old-school, even though we don't offer carnaubas any more, but if it's my garage queen and I know I enjoy caring for it more often, nothing beats the warmth of a good carnauba, my favorite being Zymol Destiny or Vintage.

With that said, with paints getting softer, Porsche being one of them, it makes no logical sense to use products like waxes or sealants when a proper nano coating can add brilliance, self-cleaning properties, and scratch resistance properties, not scratch-proof. So, all-in-all, making care an easy endeavor.

The key however is the installer. As many have mentioned, a proper paint correction, elimination of swirls, water spots, factory sand marks, etc. is a MUST. I would also caution that depending on which coating you use, it would be best to leave it to the pros. If you take good care of your car, the initial service will be the most dramatic and most costly, but the dividends pay off greatly.

Be VERY skeptical of products and/or installers pitching warranties and claims of the coating doing things that don't sound right to one with common sense. use your head...if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Coatings are as good as you maintain them. They can last a few months, to a few years...maybe 2-3 max. It's the maintenance products such as the nano spray sealants you'd use routinely that will prolong the longevity of the actual coating.

Price will vary by installer and geographic location. Get the best you can afford; it's not something you do every month.

Hope that helps.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:45 PM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Well said Moe! Spoken like true Detail God!
Old 05-22-2017, 07:47 PM
philipatl
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Moe,

Your video (documentary) is awesome!

Question - how would you compare Cquartz products (finest, etc) vs Modesta?

Also, considering the ability of the nano/ceramic products - is it reasonable to add to windows? Or is that absurd
Old 05-23-2017, 12:54 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JPJRJR70
Well said Moe! Spoken like true Detail God!
Thanks. Glad I could help

Originally Posted by philipatl
Moe,

Your video (documentary) is awesome!

Question - how would you compare Cquartz products (finest, etc) vs Modesta?

Also, considering the ability of the nano/ceramic products - is it reasonable to add to windows? Or is that absurd
appreciate you taking the time to watch our documentary.

CQuartz and Modesta are both excellent products. It simply comes down to which network you'd like to tap into. The installers make all the difference. Being a CQuartz Finest authorized installer, I can tell you that it's the most stringent and selective program in the world.

Nano coating glass will further bring out the optical clarity in the glass. The way we do it, the glass is first cleaned, then polished, then nano coated. The polishing alone brings out the brilliance and shine in the glass. It almost looks hazy once you compare the polished area to the original side.

As always, the nano coating also helps repel dust and dirt and makes cleaning easier.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:48 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry
Coatings are the evolution of waxes and sealants. It's like comparing a typewriter to a computer. I'm old-school, even though we don't offer carnaubas any more, but if it's my garage queen and I know I enjoy caring for it more often, nothing beats the warmth of a good carnauba, my favorite being Zymol Destiny or Vintage.

With that said, with paints getting softer, Porsche being one of them, it makes no logical sense to use products like waxes or sealants when a proper nano coating can add brilliance, self-cleaning properties, and scratch resistance properties, not scratch-proof. So, all-in-all, making care an easy endeavor.

The key however is the installer. As many have mentioned, a proper paint correction, elimination of swirls, water spots, factory sand marks, etc. is a MUST. I would also caution that depending on which coating you use, it would be best to leave it to the pros. If you take good care of your car, the initial service will be the most dramatic and most costly, but the dividends pay off greatly.

Be VERY skeptical of products and/or installers pitching warranties and claims of the coating doing things that don't sound right to one with common sense. use your head...if it sounds too good to be true, it is. Coatings are as good as you maintain them. They can last a few months, to a few years...maybe 2-3 max. It's the maintenance products such as the nano spray sealants you'd use routinely that will prolong the longevity of the actual coating.

Price will vary by installer and geographic location. Get the best you can afford; it's not something you do every month.

Hope that helps.
Great feedback. Thanks.

Jim
Old 05-23-2017, 01:52 AM
96redLT4
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MoeMistry

Hope that helps.
BTW. Once I get the Cquartz, is the Reload Spray best to maintain? It is the one I keep reading about.

J
Old 05-23-2017, 07:59 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 759 Likes on 276 Posts

Is the bonding that comes with waxing your Porsche regularly lost with a coating?
Old 05-23-2017, 09:11 AM
JPJRJR70
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 96redLT4
BTW. Once I get the Cquartz, is the Reload Spray best to maintain? It is the one I keep reading about.

J
Yes, Reload is what you use to keep it up.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:14 AM
MoeMistry
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by YoungTurk
Is the bonding that comes with waxing your Porsche regularly lost with a coating?
Not at all...car will still need TLC, but now, you're not chasing a product or results that last a few weeks/months.

You'll still need to do routine washes and apply a nano spray sealant to maintain. Tires/wheels will still need care, glass, trim, etc. Still work to do, you're just now allocating your time elsewhere
Old 05-23-2017, 11:11 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 195 Posts

Im looking into coating for my new one. Have a local guy that does Opti-Coat but think I rather have CQUartz. I would have to drive a distance to get it tho. Worth it?

Anyone in South Jersey/ Philly area?!
Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 AM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by Scottykenneth
Im looking into coating for my new one. Have a local guy that does Opti-Coat but think I rather have CQUartz. I would have to drive a distance to get it tho. Worth it?

Anyone in South Jersey/ Philly area?!
Oakes Detail in West Chester PA
Old 05-23-2017, 02:21 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts

Any recommendations for DIY products that people have used and liked?
Old 05-23-2017, 02:42 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

I use Optimum Glosscoat. It is really excellent. More glossy than Opticoat. It is supposed to last 2 years. I have had it a year now and it still looks like new.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:51 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 176 Posts

https://www.carpro-us.com/protection...tio2-50ml-kit/

I have this on my cars and am very pleased.
Eric
Old 05-23-2017, 03:22 PM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 195 Posts

Yea can we just do it ourselves and save a boat load of money? Esp if the car is coming rt off the lot? Shouldnt have if any or @ all paint correction?

Quick Reply: What experience do people have with polymer sealants like net sheild or Cquartz?