Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Feel good moment...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2020, 11:56 PM
GT3NY
Instructor

Received 156 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey Mike! Looks great! Actually looks like my car ha ha. Enjoy!
Old 08-18-2020, 06:27 PM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Glad I found this thread. Has anyone found that kids of all ages really recognize this car? I can’t believe it. In my midsize suburban town kids of all turn their heads when they see it. Couple examples:

-3ish year old crossing intersection in opposition direction see’s the car, cranks his head and points right at it and says “Porsche!”. He keeps repeating it over and over while his mom, now laughing her head off, is literally dragging this kid away from my car. Of course I revved the engine and put a bit smile on both their faces. How many words does this kid actually know and one of them is Porsche?!?

-similar story, young girl, girlfriend with me in the car. My gf had no idea how much attention we were going to get from kids She gets a kick out of it

-9 year olds riding by on bicycles. Make the “revv it!” motion with their hands. I oblige of course (oops, engine temp not up to operating temp). Again, gf gets a huge kick out of the situation

-neighbourhood kid, probably 11, has become wise that I have one in the garage. I see him looking at it from a distance several times. Finally gets the nerve to ask me what year it is. I tell him he can come over and look at it long as he keeps the requisite six feet distance from me. He takes a look at it and asks “So if the engine is in the rear does that mean there’s no firewall in the front?” Huh? I don’t know the answer to that. Is this what YouTube does to kids? Why would I even need to know that...

-took my other neighbour’s teen out. The noise the car makes made him lose his sh*t

-took his Dad out onto the track and showed what its like to ride a slingshot out of a corner

It’s the 911’s legacy. Most recognizable sports car because as we all know its looks have just evolved but stayed the same over 50 years and is ubiquitous with “Porsche” because thats what these kids call it; not 911. Its a Porsche.

Other fun fact, aside from the inevitable “How much does it cost?” the next question I get is “What year is it?” which I attribute to the fact that to the semi uninitiated they all look the same.

Old 08-19-2020, 09:18 AM
enve46
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Great stories. I hope I get to have that experience cause there was a point in time, I was that young kid or teenager or even young adult that would lust over the 911 of all forms.

I live in Ft Lauderdale, however, and the level of supercars you'll see daily is rather insane.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:20 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,310 Likes on 1,508 Posts

I was 18 years old, driving a '69 MGB in the Chicago area and in Junior College (1973). That was a miserable little car I bought used, and it leaked water through the roof, heater didn't work very good, and I always had a flat tire from the wire wheels. My father's co-worker was into cars my Dad told me, and he has a 69' Corvette which was my dream car. My dad set it up for me to go over there, so I did, he was just three blocks away. He kept it outside in the driveway along with a Ford Pinto. I was just gobsmacked by it, and eagerly hung on his every word about it. We went for a ride and he let me drive it! - and of course, I was CONSUMED with the thought of owning one now. So much money though.....it would have to remain a dream. Instead, I would go visit Frank every chance I could, hoping to catch him outside on the weekends while riding my bicycle around the neighborhood. I stopped by a dozen times at least, we talked cars....cars....cars.... and I was still learning about them all. One day, after about the 15th visit, when he figured out I was probably OK he said "I have something I want to show you in the back garage behind the house". Huh? I didn't even know there was a rear garage! So off we went and he opened up the door - I was speechless. Truly. For there sitting in the garage were four more cars, a brand new Ferrari Daytona, a 1957 Mercedes Gullwing Coupe he bought new, and two immaculate Jaguar XKE's one a convertible 6 cyl, the other a V12 Coupe. He said "Let's go for some rides, whaddya say?". And we spend that afternoon pulling them all out and running around Northbrook IL. The Ferrari Daytona was magnificent, never had I been in a car like that, with the ripping V12. The 300Sl Gullwing was surprisingly compact inside, and the windows didn't roll down as I recall, it was really hot inside as you just had the wing windows to open. And both Jags were tremendous, though after the Ferrari ride..... I think I went home dizzy after that day, I'd never even been close to a Ferrari before, or a 300SL Gullwing. WoW.

I kept visiting Frank, and kept fawning over his cars. He knew I badly wanted that Corvette he kept outside in the driveway. One day he said to me "Think I'll sell the Corvette, you want to buy it from me?" I said "Oh, yes, but I don't have that kind of money (I worked at a motorcycle shop when not in college). Your Vette is worth every bit of $ 6,000. I'm saving up for one, but even if I sold my MGB I'd only have $ 3,800." Frank thought about this for a minute and said "Tell you want, I'll sell you that Corvette or the Jaguar Convertible for $ 3,800, which one do you want?" WOW. I was so excited I ran home to tell my Father, but I had a moral issue, I KNEW both cars were worth more, and I had to ask my Dad if that would be the right thing to accept his offer? I asked my Father to call him because they worked together and explain I was really struggling with that money gap. I knew he could take either of those cars to a dealer and get $ 5K to $ 6K for them. My Dad did call him and said "It's all good, you best go get that Corvette before he changes his mind! I'll loan you the MGB money until you can sell that car". And so I did. Eighteen years old in a Corvette - King of the World.

Then three years later I had a neighbor who had a 911 parked out in front of his townhouse community where I lived, and wandered down to talk to him about that funny little German car, but that's a different story.
The following users liked this post:
Scott in NC (08-19-2020)

Quick Reply: Feel good moment...