30 day review of my new 991.2 C2S Manual

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 01:52 PM
Alec Syme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile 30 day review of my new 991.2 C2S Manual

Hi all-

I just thought I'd write a few notes about my experiences with my new car and how they relate to my two previous 991.1's. The car now has about 2400 miles on it.

Quick background I've owned two 991.1's. First was a 2012 Agate cab base model with a manual the second car was a red S cab with PDK. The main reason to buy the new car was really to have a manual again. I also really wanted a full leather car again (Agate car was so equipped, PDK car no so much and I missed that). So this is my third 991 in the last 5 years.

First thing. The turbos. I love them. It really changes the feel of the car. Torque is "right-now" quick. I was never super thrilled with revving out my NA car to get at the sweet spot. I know a lot of you guys are fine with that but on the street, it just didn't work for me like this new car does. It just feels much faster in a more immediate way. Turbo lag is just not really a thought when driving this car. I think this engine is a total winner.

Sound: I like it. My car has the sport package so it has the sport exhaust. I love how this car sounds. Not sure what people are complaining about here.

Manual again! Yea! Missed that. This car is very similar to my Agate car as far as shifting goes. I understand there's improvements but I can't really tell. Feels like the old one which is fine with me.

PCM- Very nice. Big improvement here. CarPlay is very nice too. I plug in my iPhone more just so I can use CarPlay. Google maps is super nice.

New rearview mirror! OK, small thing but it's nice. Much smaller.

Rearview camera is excellent. Not sure I really need it on a small car like this but it's certainly highres and clear. Note: if the car slips a little on a hill being a manual the rear camera comes on. I kind of like that. I wish I could press a button and have the camera on whenever I want. (Anyone heard of this?)

There's other stuff I'm liking too that aren't really related to the .2. I'm liking having a coupe for the first time. The lines of the coupe are just perfect. I love the giant glass sunroof. The black/Bordeaux interior is very nice and special looking. The leather is better than the seats of my non-leather car. Higher quality.

That's it for now. I'll do a one year review next spring to let you guys know how the first year went.

Thanks-
alec
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2017, 02:31 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 857 Likes on 432 Posts

That's one sharp looking ride. Love the side stripe.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:37 PM
erdrff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love that car! Very classy!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:10 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I kind of did a "woah, what?" when I saw the picture, but those retro-ish wheels and the sticker on the door - I like it!

Originally Posted by Alec Syme
I wish I could press a button and have the camera on whenever I want. (Anyone heard of this?)
The Tesla Model S does that. Kind of neat to use while going down the highway.

Actually, lots of "neat" in the Tesla, but I just can't make the leap.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:15 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Quick question. Do you have RWS on the car?
Old 05-17-2017, 03:17 PM
09Maserati
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool looking car! Enjoy!
Old 05-17-2017, 03:41 PM
Alec Syme
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Quick question. Do you have RWS on the car?
Yes. It's part of the sport package. Forgot to mention that. I must say the whole car handles so well it's hard to point out one thing. I haven't noticed it at speed yet. Maybe when I've got some more seat time, but it's very noticeable at parking speeds. Turns on a dime as it were. Nice addition.

alec
Old 05-17-2017, 04:55 PM
quattr0
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you for the review from a NA owner! Really like the wheels and decals!

There is still slightly lag IMHO. I was rolling down hill a bit, not really a hill but going downward, and was in high 20ish and hit it in 2nd, felt a pause/hesitant there which surprised me a bit. But then I have a base so probably diff from the S.

Do you use data plan with Google map?
Old 05-18-2017, 07:12 AM
jlee504
Rennlist Member

Received 475 Likes on 259 Posts

Love the retro look!

Yup I agree the turbos are great for around town driving, it takes some getting used to because its the reverse of a N/A engine where it gets going around 5K-6K RPM these guys start running out of steam a little and you have to shift

But overall super happy and wish I had RWS..
Old 05-18-2017, 08:01 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,087 Likes on 623 Posts

Glad you're enjoying the car. Had the chance to drive the .2 at Barber - I too love the motor. I'm sure it's terrific for DD use.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Ditto

I purchased my .2 C2S with sport package, 7M in January. It is a great grocery getter and an extremely fun car to drive at speed when the conditions permit. To 99.9% of the public, it's a 911, not a "point something" and I get many thumbs up and compliments. My biggest thrill is the clown smile it puts on my face.

I did a DE in April and although I am not an experienced track driver, I found it to be a very capable car on the road course. Plenty of power and superb handling way beyond my capabilities. My car is equipped with SPASM and PDCC as well. I like the lowered look and only engaged the "stiff" button on the track. I cannot speak to the "artificial feeling" I have read about the PDCC here on RL but it did handle remarkably well on the track.

I have logged 3,000 miles in the past 4 months and continually look for an excuse to take the car out of the garage. The only negatives I find with the car is the road noise, the incessant clicking of pebbles on the underbelly and the wind noise with the windows down which makes listening to the stereo a non event. I too like the sound of the car but I am mixed on the decel gurgles in sport mode but sport + takes them away.

The only mods I added to my car are PPF, clear corners, window film, the AWE wind deflector and the Function-First shift **** which feels much better in my hand than the stock shifter. I also added the skene design front plate bracket, so no bumper holes.

This has to be my favorite car of all time. I now understand the hype over the 911 and feel very fortunate to be able to call one mine.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:17 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Beautiful car and nice review. Also - you know we all love your wheels.

Other brands (BMW for one) have a button to instantly turn on the rearview and skyview but the extra buttons do clutter a sports car.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:36 AM
Dan Nagy
Race Car

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Thanks Alec. It's a great looking car and glad that you are enjoying it so far. Although within walking distance of the DC Metro, I am driving into the office more often in the nice weather. Even stuck in traffic, it's a nice way to start and end my work day.

I also like the CarPlay, especially the left stalk button that connects me to Siri.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:47 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

That stripe would be hideous on your car if it didn't have the wheels. But with those wheels it's perfect!

Great car and nice review. I love my. 1 and the noise makes but would love to see how a .2 compares in day to day driving.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:04 PM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 66 Posts

And nice garage floor too. It all comes together with the stripes and wheels which looks amazing on that surface.

Quick Reply: 30 day review of my new 991.2 C2S Manual