Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 Cab Top - Stop window raise when top is lowered?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:06 AM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 991 Cab Top - Stop window raise when top is lowered?

Sorry if this is a FAQ or other, but I haven't found anything on searches here or on Google. When I lower the top, I'd like for it to finish without the windows starting to raise. I can sometimes time it just right, but all too often I end up hitting the window-down buttons just after lowering the top. Try as I might, I don't understand the logic of this being the behavior in the first place, even though there may sometimes be occasions for having the top down and windows up.

If there is a PCM setting, etc., hints as to where to look would be appreciated! If not, is this a dealer or other setting that could be changed?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:32 AM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,191 Likes on 574 Posts

No way that I know of for doing it with the stock settings but there is a great modification for just this situation. Go to mod4cars.com and purchase the smarttop for the 991. It is fantastic. You can set it to your specifications, the top goes down with the touch of the button (rather than having to hold it down) and you can even open the top with the key fob. It is a pretty straightforward DIY that can be done in about an hour. Highly recommend it!
Old 05-02-2017, 12:35 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,014 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
No way that I know of for doing it with the stock settings but there is a great modification for just this situation. Go to mod4cars.com and purchase the smarttop for the 991. It is fantastic. You can set it to your specifications, the top goes down with the touch of the button (rather than having to hold it down) and you can even open the top with the key fob. It is a pretty straightforward DIY that can be done in about an hour. Highly recommend it!

+1 on this. I installed the smarttop on my boxster in about an hour and love it. Here is a video of it.

Old 05-02-2017, 09:31 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

I wonder if you can get one touch rear passenger side window up/down for barcode in a gated community?
Old 05-02-2017, 11:33 AM
squid42
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

All this is subject to government rules in some jurisdiction, that is why it got worse. No more auto-raise for windows other that the one next to the switch (driver).

I am not entirely sure who made windows go up at the end of top lowering on convertibles but I bet that this is a government rule somewhere that didn't think of an exception for convertibles. The reason why I think that is that multiple car manufacturers changed to the same idiotic pattern at the same time, notably BMW, too.

If I was smarttop's maker I would turn this into a more universal modules that can also be used to fix non-convertible behavior and make it upgradable (connect to USB and the Internet, buy a code for new tricks), and make every Porsche owner have such a module for one trick or another.

It's too bad that Porsche is so successful in guarding their software and/or that not enough Porsche geeks are software security geeks, too. BMW doesn't stand a chance and people change everything all the time
Old 05-04-2017, 02:27 AM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 05-04-2017, 04:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
+1
Old 05-04-2017, 04:11 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,598 Likes on 2,341 Posts

Originally Posted by SkipSauls
Sorry if this is a FAQ or other, but I haven't found anything on searches here or on Google. When I lower the top, I'd like for it to finish without the windows starting to raise. I can sometimes time it just right, but all too often I end up hitting the window-down buttons just after lowering the top. Try as I might, I don't understand the logic of this being the behavior in the first place, even though there may sometimes be occasions for having the top down and windows up.

If there is a PCM setting, etc., hints as to where to look would be appreciated! If not, is this a dealer or other setting that could be changed?
BTW since you are "local" I can help you with the install if you like ... if you do this, you might also consider doing the TPC-Racing DSC at the same time, since they are both in the same area of the car (under the top behind drivers side rear seat)
Old 05-04-2017, 04:56 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Mods4cars is a must have. Easy install.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:14 PM
Hawkeye911
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice! Does anyone know if this works on 991.2's?

Quick Reply: 991 Cab Top - Stop window raise when top is lowered?