Sponsored by:

Porsche vs. Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 12:07 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts
Default Porsche vs. Cooler

I have owned my 991.2 for less than 2 months. Last week my wife and I took our first road trip, not counting the drive home after taking delivery at PEC Atlanta.

On Friday while leaving Phoenix on I-17 a pickup and trailer in front of me ran over a large igloo cooler and spit it out into the middle of my lane. Given traffic to the side, I could only dodge a bit. I hit the white lid below the left headlamp and the blue cooler body dead center. At 75 mph.

My car has two resulting scars. The first is a "dent" in the surround for the left radiator vent:

The second is a pair of oval dimples that are popped out, just above my custom-mounted front license plate. These look like the bumper cover made contact with the interior structure (sorry about the reflections from the plate in the photos):

So besides being royally pissed off (getting over it slowly), I am now considering options. I could have the bumper repainted and re-Xpel'ed. I could do nothing and embrace the scars. I could figure out some less extreme repair option. I know that repainting could result in color mis-match, especially in GT Silver. And having the work done at a quality shop means leaving my car 200 miles away (and waiting for new paint to cure before an clear film installation). But of course, I want my new perfect car to be perfect again.

What do you guys think?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:34 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Don't know your exact location, but I see you have a Colorado plate. I recently had to have the rear bumper cover repainted on my 991.2 after I was mildly rear-ended. My car is agate grey and only six months old, so there was probably not much paint fade, but the body shop at Prestige Porsche in Denver did a very nice job on the car.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:57 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,140 Likes on 981 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
Don't know your exact location, but I see you have a Colorado plate. I recently had to have the rear bumper cover repainted on my 991.2 after I was mildly rear-ended. My car is agate grey and only six months old, so there was probably not much paint fade, but the body shop at Prestige Porsche in Denver did a very nice job on the car.

Would you mind sharing how much that cost you?
Old 05-01-2017, 01:04 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I would seek a quality re-spray of the bumper and new PPF on it as well. I can commiserate with how horrible I-17 is in PHX. I winter there and it is stunning the number of horrible drivers on the highways down there. Sorry to see your pride and joy get damaged by some knucklehead who didn't secure his load.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:17 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Summer is around the corner and you will likely pick up more stuff off the road if are traveling. I would wait until September. In the meantime enjoy her. If the red bruise bugs you too much you may be able to remove or subdue some of it with chemical guy vinyl wrap cleaner. I was just thinking about your custom plate mount and thinking some pelican case foam would be a good idea to place behind it in case someone backs into you. Sorry I jinks you!
Old 05-01-2017, 01:43 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by subshooter
Would you mind sharing how much that cost you?
It was covered by insurance and the original estimate was right around $1000. Bu the shop found some wrinkles that the adjuster missed and added another $400 to the bill.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:12 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Sorry for your troubles. This will be a comprehensive claim on your insurance, not collision, since the object (cooler) you hit was moving into your lane, not stationary. FYI. I'd want it fixed. Only way to put it behind you.
Old 05-01-2017, 07:57 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,300 Likes on 730 Posts

Sorry for your weird mishap. I have had repair to bumper and some mods that required painting. They can double bake parts and Xpel can be applied next day. Shop I use does only high end cars and I have had no issues with the paint.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:33 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe a reason to get a sport bumper?
Old 05-01-2017, 10:44 AM
budrichard
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Drive it, you will eventually hit something else.
The roads are a shambles these days.-Richard
Old 05-01-2017, 11:16 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I drove over some kind of mattress yesterday, gladly I was driving an SUV...
Old 05-01-2017, 11:30 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

You are lucky. In my Boxster I hit some road debris -- a tire carcass -- and while the front bumper was a bit worse for the wear the impact busted a radiator.

Had the car fixed at the Wichita KS Porsche dealer. The bumper cover was serviceable so I just left is alone. Held up very well and I avoided looking too hard at it then some years later at a stop light I was hit from behind and the impact pushed my car into the car ahead of mine.The insurance of the driver who hit me bought me a new rear bumper and a new front bumper cover.

Might mention that even though I had the bumper covers replaced at a quality shop which also did the paint (lapis blue) and clear coat the clear coat is starting to peel away and I am having to find another shop to address that.

Thus my advice is as long as the bumper cover is secure and remains secure to leave it be. If you drive your car the bumper cover will take a beating even if you encounter nothing else on the road like the cooler.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:43 AM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 327 Likes on 187 Posts

Another option would be to remove your custom license plate holder and install the OEM license plate holder. Based on your pics....I think that would cover up your nasty bumps.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by budrichard
Drive it, you will eventually hit something else.
The roads are a shambles these days.-Richard
I would drive it and not worry about it.

Originally Posted by Fasttr
Another option would be to remove your custom license plate holder and install the OEM license plate holder. Based on your pics....I think that would cover up your nasty bumps.
That was my first thought as well...
Old 05-01-2017, 12:49 PM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 400 Posts

Could source a new bumper at some point have it painted, cured and wrapped and then take your car in for them to change out. Should only be an hour or so to do the swap.

I do feel your pain..... I cracked my lower front valence and the clear bra is keeping the pieces together. Until it actually falls apart I'm not doing a thing since I know I hit everything with it.

Quick Reply: Porsche vs. Cooler