Sponsored by:

991.1 GTS Exhaust Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 05:58 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991.1 GTS Exhaust Tuning

I just installed the AWE Switchpath on my 2015 991.1 GTS w/ PSE. Good improvement with one exception. The already annoying flatulence on trailing throttle is far more pronounced with pops & cracks. Has anyone found a way to rid the car of this annoyance? I know it's a tuning thing with throttle / injection mapping so has anyone come up with a firmware download to remedy?
Old 04-30-2017, 06:12 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Prepare for the assault. This question will not be popular. There is a long thread on it, but no one has coded it out.

I for one agree with you.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:15 PM
Churchill
Three Wheelin'

Received 253 Likes on 163 Posts

I posed the same question a few months ago. The flatulence is ludicrous and embarrassing and I'd pay good money to program it out. It's simply fuel dumped into the exhaust to create sound effects. You could do this on a motor scooter if you wanted. Anyone who knows engines and hears it is laughing to himself about stupid Porsche owners. It's the equivalent of a fake blowoff valve sound effect on a Civic, a juvenile prop that belongs in the Fast and the Furious, not on a $120K sports car.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:22 PM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

This topic is right up there with 991.1 v 991.2 exhaust...
Old 04-30-2017, 06:25 PM
MHarris
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can appreciate that this "feature" is liked by some and not by others. I have put on my asbestos pants for the flamers out there but for me, I would just like to disable since it is a firmware programmed in issue.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:50 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Churchill
I posed the same question a few months ago. The flatulence is ludicrous and embarrassing and I'd pay good money to program it out. It's simply fuel dumped into the exhaust to create sound effects. You could do this on a motor scooter if you wanted. Anyone who knows engines and hears it is laughing to himself about stupid Porsche owners. It's the equivalent of a fake blowoff valve sound effect on a Civic, a juvenile prop that belongs in the Fast and the Furious, not on a $120K sports car.

Not limited to Porsche. I think Jag leads the way. Merc close behind, and our VAG cousins Audi have it big time as well.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MHarris
I can appreciate that this "feature" is liked by some and not by others. I have put on my asbestos pants for the flamers out there but for me, I would just like to disable since it is a firmware programmed in issue.
As I said, no one has come up with a time to disable it. Some one ought to be able to though, but I think you'll have to find a tuner willing to write a tune to do it. Certainly the market is the opposite. In the M3 / M4 world, these types of sounds first appeared on the M4 GTS. Soon after, tuners began incorporating the M4 "gurgles" on their tunes.
Old 05-01-2017, 06:07 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I love how diverse people's tastes are. I love the overrun sounds, possibly due to having spent a lot of time on two wheels. Never met a biker who didn't like it.

I did notice when I had my Fabspeed protune done via Cobb Accessport that the sounds seemed to have become more pronounced. I mentioned this happily to Steve at Fabspeed and he said 'a lot of guys want those sounds programmed out'. I took the implication to be that he could programme them out if asked to, but may of course have been wrong...
Old 05-01-2017, 09:10 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

It that decoration man, It just for decorations man, that's it n' that's all man. We do it for decorations.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:14 AM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
As I said, no one has come up with a time to disable it. Some one ought to be able to though, but I think you'll have to find a tuner willing to write a tune to do it. Certainly the market is the opposite. In the M3 / M4 world, these types of sounds first appeared on the M4 GTS. Soon after, tuners began incorporating the M4 "gurgles" on their tunes.
Jag made these sounds popular in the XKR and now the XKRS.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:35 AM
c_Gio
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

People who know engines are laughing at Porsche? Never read that before... really?

Quick Reply: 991.1 GTS Exhaust Tuning