Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a new 991.2, lusting after an M2, crazy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 06:18 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The M2 is a fun fast car. The only problem I have with it is that BMW was afraid to go too far. Meaning, they really should have simplified it even more. It doesn't need a bigger engine or fatter tires. It just needed to shed more weight. I was a BMW nut for many years but as they steadily got fatter and fatter they became less and less interesting. For the last several decades they have stated that their target was Lexus. Well they have succeeded, but at the same time they have lost what made their brand special. Interestingly Lexus seems to want to be more BMW. Sorry , Long rant because I cut my teeth on the e36 m3 and I know that the company can do better. At least they used to be able to do better. Personally I wouldn't trade a 911 for an M2, but I might be tempted to add an M2 to the stable, just for nostalgic reasons. Sadly.
Old 04-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 928 Likes on 550 Posts

Wrong forum to post these thoughts and not hear why you SHOULD NOT trade.

The M2 just doesn't feel as special IMO. From the build quality, crooked and upright sitting position, sound etc. Granted I have a 991.1, and never driven a 991.2.

I also live in San Francisco where 911's are relatively pedestrian.

But hey...it's your money and life is too short to own something like this and NOT love it. Get the M2 and enjoy.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:51 PM
horsie
Track Day

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Yes, I did consider an M2 last fall when I was trading in my 991.1 at the dealer, but it just wasn't that desirable then.

Anyways, I am not seriously considering swapping the 911 out for an M2, was just wondering what others thought of this 911 vs M2 comparison.

I should be happy with what I have and stop this 'grass is greener on the other side' thinking.

Old 04-27-2017, 08:09 PM
horsie
Track Day

Originally Posted by GregD
"Hey Horsie" (I feel odd writing that but hey, that's your screen name ;-)

Oddly I have had impure thoughts of trading my 991.1 for a 2017 Golf R... I know this is anathema here, but I've had a few issues with my 991.1 quality wise so I'm not "in awe", it's not super well perceived at work (yeah that's their problem but it's not always that simple), it's not used as it should be when I commute at 15 mph, and I also own a classic 911 so it's not like I'd be deprived of a good 911.

The attraction to the R is the Q-ship effect, the added practicality, but yeah mostly the fact that people won't look at my car twice wherever I park and it's still fun to drive. Can you expand on your experience in the R vs the 991 some more ? Thanks !
The R is just so well rounded, it's quick, comfortable, smooth, and practical. It's great in the snow with the AWD and does everything so well. And yet it's so under the radar, no one really notices it. I feel a lot more conspicuous in the 911. The ride is perfectly sorted, the engine sounds great, the manual shifts so lightly and easily, much improved over the 991.1.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:48 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have already stated that I think the M2 is just plain blah. The R on the other hand is a great car. I would 100% take the R and skip the M2. The 911summer/R winter combo is awesome. You need a men in black amnesia gun to totally forget about the M2. Over many years I have owned 11 BMW's. BMW imho has lost their way. Bland styling inside and out. Chris Bangle single handedly destroyed BMW. Yes,the 911 is "mass" produced but is a phenomenal daily driver. A Ferrari/Lamborghini etc might be more special but try and daily drive them. Not.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:11 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 758 Likes on 275 Posts

Very impressed with the build quality and ride of the X5 I special ordered for my wife.
Old 04-28-2017, 10:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by 911seeker
It doesn't, but I don't expect to find many people at a 991 forum that share your opinion... BTW, why do you own two "cookie cutter" 911s, if you don't mind my asking?
I own them because they are good cars (ancient 993tt and 997tt). But thats all they are, good driving, good looking, and relatively reliable performance vehicles. I don't worship at the altar of the 911. I also own a 17 year old run of the mill BMW 328i and I think its fantastic.

Last edited by points; 04-28-2017 at 11:41 AM. Reason: antagonistic and not needed
Old 04-28-2017, 11:08 AM
911seeker
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I own them because they are good cars (ancient 993tt and 997tt). But thats all they are, good driving, good looking, and relatively reliable performance vehicles. I don't worship at the altar of the 911. I also own a 17 year old run of the mill BMW 328i and I think its fantastic.
Two things: [list][*]don't you really understand that from the design and engine position perspective the 911 is more "special" than the M2? Or are you just being controversial for the sake of it?

now I'll go back to worship my non special 911, you can also resume being a non worshiper, just do it in a less offensive way, please

Last edited by points; 04-28-2017 at 11:42 AM. Reason: thread clean up
Old 04-28-2017, 11:21 AM
phow
Pro

Received 200 Likes on 108 Posts

Please, there is nothing special about a standard 911. Its a fine car, but its hardly extraordinary in any way. Its also massively overpriced.

The M2 at least offers excellent performance for the money.
LMAO... Please don't turn this into a performance per dollar argument. There are plenty of cars out there that beat Porsche at that game and none of us own these cars because they are a good performance bargain.

You buy a Porsche because it's exactly that, it's SPECIAL.

There are plenty of cheaper cars out there that could hand my C2S it's *** and I really couldn't care less.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:43 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

I have 1 question for Quadcammer. If someone wanted to drive a sporty car as a DD what would you recommend as a more "special" car than a 911? I have a friend who just bought a "carbon" Aston Martin Vanquish that he will use as a DD (snow tires included). That is special but I can't think of too many others. DD is the key to my question. I am truly interested in your thoughts. How many would consider a 650S/488/Huracan as a good DD?
Old 04-28-2017, 11:55 AM
phow
Pro

Originally Posted by Bacura
I have 1 question for Quadcammer. If someone wanted to drive a sporty car as a DD what would you recommend as a more "special" car than a 911? I have a friend who just bought a "carbon" Aston Martin Vanquish that he will use as a DD (snow tires included). That is special but I can't think of too many others. DD is the key to my question. I am truly interested in your thoughts. How many would consider a 650S/488/Huracan as a good DD?
I know the question was not directed to myself but the some options that immediately come to mind would be:

- AMG GTS
- Audi R8
- McLaren 570GT

^ The only one I would personally consider to be more special and a potential decent DD would be the 570GT.

There is definitely nothing under the base 911 price point that I would consider more "special" and a decent DD.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by 911seeker
Two things: [list][*]don't you really understand that from the design and engine position perspective the 911 is more "special" than the M2? Or are you just being controversial for the sake of it?

now I'll go back to worship my non special 911, you can also resume being a non worshiper, just do it in a less offensive way, please
I guess my post was even more offensive before some needless moderation that is becoming very common on this forum.

Nevertheless, who cares where the engine is? Engine placement doesn't make a car special. Design? Ok, its been a continuation since the 60s. I guess you could call that uniquely unwilling to change, but special? eh.

Before you said you weren't offended, now I guess you are? sorry...

Originally Posted by phow
LMAO... Please don't turn this into a performance per dollar argument. There are plenty of cars out there that beat Porsche at that game and none of us own these cars because they are a good performance bargain.

You buy a Porsche because it's exactly that, it's SPECIAL.

There are plenty of cheaper cars out there that could hand my C2S it's *** and I really couldn't care less.
No, people for the most part buy new 911s for the badge. Sorry, but its true. That said, help me understand, what makes it so special? specifics please.

Originally Posted by Bacura
Porsche isn't any less special than an M2 (since neither are special), but who really cares. Since I don't know how you define special, I can't really answer your question. Specialness or whatever doesn't matter to me. We are not talking about 60s hand built vehicles here, we're talking about modern mass produced automobiles. A huracan is just an audi with a silly angular wrapper. Maccas are hideous so I'd never be seen in one.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:44 PM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Fair enough. I would take a new GT3 in Voodoo blue and consider it Very special. And I agree, special is different for everyone. To me special is how the car makes me feel. I feel special when driving my 911 so to me it is special. To you , a 911 is a mass produced mode of transport so not very special. The only thing I can't agree with(which brings us full circle) is that the M2 and 911 are equals. There are a lot of BMW salespeople who will surely quote you.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:52 PM
phow
Pro

No, people for the most part buy new 911s for the badge. Sorry, but its true. That said, help me understand, what makes it so special? specifics please.
Again, I disagree completely. Sure... affluent soccer moms might choose a Cayenne or Macan over other options in the same class due to brand prestige but I really don't think that is the case with most car enthusiasts that opt for the 911. I believe what you are describing is the exception rather than the rule.

I mean just look at the cult following of the 911... That really says it all right there. I don't know any luxury product that someone buys purely just for the label that has a group of enthusiasts that support it with such devotion as the 911. There has to be something more to it...

As for you asking me to explain what is so special about the 911... It just shows you don't get it and that's totally fine. Specialness is really not something you can describe to someone. Either you get in the car and you feel it or you don't. If you feel the same way about the 911 as you do when getting into a M2, then it's clearly the wrong car for you.

I honestly feel bad for you as you seem to be one of the people, as you described, that bought a 911 for the badge. That is unfortunate.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:58 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

No, people for the most part buy new --insert any car here-- for the badge.
So what? That has been true since the dawn of time. 200 years ago the well-to-do bought thoroughbred horses to pull their wagon. Did they arrive at church any sooner than the poor folk? Nope, but they felt more special about it.

That said, help me understand, what makes it so special? specifics please.
What's it to you? A good friend of mine thinks his Subaru is the most special car in the world, why? He spent years saving up to buy the car he's always wanted. It's a 4-door grocery getter to me, but I'm not such an *** I'm going to pound him down about it.

Specialness or whatever doesn't matter to me.
That's a boldface lie or you wouldn't be in this conversation.

We are not talking about 60s hand built vehicles here, we're talking about modern mass produced automobiles.
Really? Everyone who bought a Ferrari in the 60's only did so because of how special they were in the hand built arena? Bullsh*t, most people who bought a Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini etc... 50 years ago did so to show off at the country club.

"Race on Sunday, sell on Monday" is all marketing BS, always has been and always will be. So what? If it makes someone feel special to see a Porsche badge in their garage, so be it.

I'm going to guess your the person at Cars & Coffee walking up to 944 owners saying: "Nice Audi, too bad you cannot afford a Porsche"

Quick Reply: Just got a new 991.2, lusting after an M2, crazy?