Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clear wrap on rear half of GTS? Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 12:15 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

I would think the 3rd owner of your car would want the rear 1/2 done now.

Congrats on your new 911!
Old 04-24-2017, 03:34 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I did the front bumpers, the hood, the mirrors and the doors with XPEL on my 2015 GTS. It was highly recommended. The technician was a first-timer with XPEL. I took it back four times. When I look at it with polarized sunglasses I can see waves on the surfaces. Moreover, all the seams are visible. Finally, XPEL was guaranteed, to be self-healing in the sunshine. I have terrible gouges in the front bumper and hood. It is neither self-healing nor is the vendor willing to replace it as advertised. .
Old 04-24-2017, 03:41 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
I did the front bumpers, the hood, the mirrors and the doors with XPEL on my 2015 GTS. It was highly recommended. The technician was a first-timer with XPEL. I took it back four times. When I look at it with polarized sunglasses I can see waves on the surfaces. Moreover, all the seams are visible. Finally, XPEL was guaranteed, to be self-healing in the sunshine. I have terrible gouges in the front bumper and hood. It is neither self-healing nor is the vendor willing to replace it as advertised. .
Xpel is actually pretty good with warranty but you have to get past the field reps. They try to be political but have to also keep the installers happy so won't side with you 99% of the time no matter how legit or the evidence to substantiate your claim. Ultimately you have to get the installer to work with Xpel to refund or go to the C suite.

My first installer didn't know what he was doing and the film had many flaws that he stated were "normal". Part of the issue is the Xpel propaganda over states the transparency of the film. There absolutely is some orange peel in it although minor.

Please post here: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9459...rs-thread.html
Old 04-24-2017, 08:30 PM
Speed2000
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go to their dealer locator page, http://www.xpel.com/locator/search/clearbra_installers/ and try and find someone else nearby. Make an appointment for them to look at it and they can help with the warranty.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:33 PM
Speed2000
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The self healing feature of the film is only on the top coat, if you have gouges, those won't self heal. The distortion you see with polarized sunglasses is where the UV inhibitors in the film have been stretched. Light beams are now bent at different angles. Since polarized lenses block some wavelengths, some of the colors are missing once it reaches your eye and your brain has to fill in the blanks.

I took this picture holding my sunglasses in front of my phone. You can see at the top of the hood some of the distortion but look top left and you can actually see squeegee strokes.

Name:  IMAG0060.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  53.2 KB
Old 04-24-2017, 09:12 PM
cug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I look at my current car, nearly six years driving, it has a few nicks here and there, but not enough to get "paranoid" about. I'm not going to do anything for my 911 – or maybe, by the same time as with my current car, I might just get full repaint ... might end up cheaper than wrapping and re-wrapping after so many years ... oh, and I drive my cars, not worry about them constantly. Have better things to do with my life.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:52 PM
STEK-USA
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint protection films marketed as self healing will recover from light scratches - the swirls that come from wiping with improper materials, etc. Think in terms of marks made from rubbing with a brass brush. As stated above, the underlying material (typically thermal polyurethane or TPU) is not self healing. When the PPF top coat is penetrated or its worn away the self healing function stops. PPF warranties vary, but I've done a lot of research and I don't recall any manufacturer warranty that covers mechanical damage. Also you can expect most PPF manufacturer applied top coats to wear away over time - some in as little as 3-6 months and some as long as 3-5 years - it all depends on climate, amount of exposure, and car care. Warranties also don't cover performance of the top coat. Ours do not and we have what is arguably one of the most durable films on the market. Do not read warranted performance into marketing claims - even if the film performs according to those claims.

As to the OPs original question and following comments. If someone got a full front for $1200 with a high quality top coated film and competent installation that was a fantastic bargain. In areas of the US with which I'm familiar a full front wrap goes for $1900-$2400 and a full wrap for $6000 a $10000 depending on the car and whether or not the installer removes headlights, certain trim, badging, etc rather than cutting around those things.

If you think this is close to a forever car then invest in the rest of the full wrap. If possible go to the same installer.
The following users liked this post:
Tyler85 (09-05-2021)
Old 04-24-2017, 10:59 PM
OMFS
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I did the rear quarters on my GTS and it saved me twice. Those hips are wide.

Quick Reply: Clear wrap on rear half of GTS? Worth it?