Sponsored by:

Custom Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 12:02 AM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts
Default Custom Front License Plate Bracket

For my second month of ownership, I needed to mount my new license plates. Not to revisit all the discussion, but I had two personal requirements: mounting the front plate (as required in Colorado) and not drilling the bumper or using the standard bracket (too disruptive of the front end). Of course, the rules also require no contact with the paint, and no other drilling.

I was inspired by how I mounted the front plate on my 987 Boxster S many years ago, with the same goals. The result was a bracket made from aluminum bar stock, mounted inside the false front center vent with 3M adhesive tape. This proved durable for almost 10 years:

For the 991 I was inspired by a PBS NOVA espisode about using origami in engineering. This meant a design using a single sheet of material. Here is the first successful prototype, in cardboard:

The underside of the top of the front center vent has some raised ribs, and so required a modification of the prototype:

With the design confirmed, I started with a 12x12 inch sheet of .080 inch aluminum (5052 alloy for easier bending):

Here is the sheet cut and ready for folding:

And here is the origami holder folded:

For installation, I used 3M Extreme outdoor adhesive tape. Because the bracket is a snug fit, I had to rig some sheets of plastic to pull out once the bracket was in place. When done, the bracket was mounted firmly:

Finally, some more 3M tape holds the license plate to the bracket:

And to confirm no contact with the paint above and below:

Mission accomplished. Front plate is mounted lower than stock, to preserve the arc of the front bumper unmolested:

Of course, this design will not work for models with adaptive cruise control, or any front end that uses the center vent for air.
The following 2 users liked this post by bkrantz:
Guards_Red_991 (02-19-2023), Martin S. (02-26-2023)
Old 04-19-2017, 12:10 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

Wow that looks amazing. So much better than stock. Porsche should learn from this. A vendor should manufacture this. Unfortunately my ACC prohibits this mounting location.

My one suggestion is to drill the holder and screw or bolt on the plate. It looks odd and unfinished without fasteners and just empty mounting holes.

Well done!!!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:05 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

That looks great. Good job.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:47 AM
AlBinVA
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Very nice work

but for those of us w/o access to a sheet metal shop (or the mechanical ability), other remedies need to be found.

I used the skene design bracket which works well for me.

I agree on filling the bolt hole slots for a cleaner look.

Well done
Old 04-19-2017, 09:55 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Or buy a thin black or white license plate frame to dress it up a bit.

I thought the slates close at a certain speed, so how does that affect your bracket? Or is it only the side slates that clsoe?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:57 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Bravo!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 653 Likes on 299 Posts

Looks good! Well done!

I don't think it would work for me though - it would block the third radiator and the adaptive cruise control. There is a separate OEM plate bracket for cars with ACC, so as not to block the sensor..
Old 04-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,212 Likes on 1,114 Posts

That is awesome, really awesome. I want it. Want to make some more? ;-)

I have my car registered at my house in PA simply because of license plate thing. I'd rather register it in Virginia so I can avoid the PA tax on my lease - 9%.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:48 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

Fabulous job. You must have a bending break and a shear table.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:57 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Very nice work & write-up.

I run without a front plate. Been stopped by State Police, more than once. Only one ticket from State Police. I'll continue to roll the dice.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:48 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan
Very nice work & write-up.

I run without a front plate. Been stopped by State Police, more than once. Only one ticket from State Police. I'll continue to roll the dice.
In my 3 weeks of ownership, I have been stopped twice here in NYC. I have temp tags from Georgia so I'm ok for now but I can imagine it becoming a nuisance.

For those of us in NYC, both times by NYS troopers which is a new thing. Coming out of the battery tunnel and going into the midtown tunnel. Their presence in NYC has increased tremendously in the past couple months. Never really saw them before.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:59 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by pashaj
In my 3 weeks of ownership, I have been stopped twice here in NYC. I have temp tags from Georgia so I'm ok for now but I can imagine it becoming a nuisance.

For those of us in NYC, both times by NYS troopers which is a new thing. Coming out of the battery tunnel and going into the midtown tunnel. Their presence in NYC has increased tremendously in the past couple months. Never really saw them before.
I think what you are seeing are NY Bridge and Tunnel cops, who are being integrated into the trooper squadron as NY is getting rid of the tow booths. Same uniform and same color cars. Cost of no front plate ticket is not cheap in NY - about $175.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:20 PM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I think what you are seeing are NY Bridge and Tunnel cops, who are being integrated into the trooper squadron as NY is getting rid of the tow booths. Same uniform and same color cars. Cost of no front plate ticket is not cheap in NY - about $175.
Yes, you might be right. The officers looked kinda "dough-y"
Old 04-19-2017, 04:58 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Very well done. Nice work!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:38 PM
Guzzgreg
Racer

Received 116 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by pashaj
Yes, you might be right. The officers looked kinda "dough-y"
Those are in fact NYSP at the bridges and tunnels thanks to our Gov. Commrade Cuomo. He is in a huge pissing match with the communist mayor of NYC DeBlasio. They are also now at NYC two airports. And I too have been stopped and issued a warning for no front plate at one of the bridges. I HATE NY! Cannot wait to leave.

Quick Reply: Custom Front License Plate Bracket