Question on Rev Matching

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 12:55 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Nagy
Two of mine:

The "6" is almost the same color as I painted my 4A. I did a restoration on it. Head, trans, rear end, interior, etc.. didn't know anything when I started. A service manual and a set of tools later and it was done.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:00 PM
AFX1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still learning but basically on the .1 GTS;
Sport = manual blip
Sport+ = rev match
Not so much difference in ride between the 2 if you don't track.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:35 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOL

This thread has taken some curves, but is not really answering my question.

So on the 991.2, the rev matching is ON in Sport and Sport Plus. I like the Sport mode, because of the exhaust sound.

So my question was is there any detrimental effect if I over blip the auto blip? The reason I blip isn't because I forget that the auto mode is on, it's because I like blipping the throttle. Just more engaging for me.

BTW, nice Triumph!
Old 04-18-2017, 01:58 PM
AFX1
Intermediate

Per my Dealer Service Tech;
As soon as you over blip the rev match in Sports+, the new input takes over - no detrimental effect whatsoever. After gear change the setting returns to Sports+, rev match.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:09 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,117 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
LOL

This thread has taken some curves, but is not really answering my question.

So on the 991.2, the rev matching is ON in Sport and Sport Plus. I like the Sport mode, because of the exhaust sound.

So my question was is there any detrimental effect if I over blip the auto blip? The reason I blip isn't because I forget that the auto mode is on, it's because I like blipping the throttle. Just more engaging for me.

BTW, nice Triumph!
LOL!! Yes it did, and sorry, but I see you finally have the answer above.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:20 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Basic rev matching question ...

I have a basic rev matching question - when I shift from 1st to 2nd in Sport mode, the engine seems to rev up (rev match?) for the shift. I don't notice any rev matching after that whether I am up-shifting to a higher gear (3,4,5,6,7) or down shifting to a lower gear (6,5,4,3,2). How is rev matching supposed to work and any reason I am not noticing / experiencing it? BTW: I own a 991.2 C2S with Manual transmission.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATLBond
I have a basic rev matching question - when I shift from 1st to 2nd in Sport mode, the engine seems to rev up (rev match?) for the shift. I don't notice any rev matching after that whether I am up-shifting to a higher gear (3,4,5,6,7) or down shifting to a lower gear (6,5,4,3,2). How is rev matching supposed to work and any reason I am not noticing / experiencing it? BTW: I own a 991.2 C2S with Manual transmission.
You would need the "sport chrono" package to have the auto throttle blips.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:32 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

You would need the "sport chrono" package to have the auto throttle blips.
i do
Old 04-18-2017, 02:36 PM
seattle_sun
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have never felt it rev on upshifting.

It wouldn't really make sense. Going from any gear up, the RPM's will drop.

If you downshift at 3K, you won't really feel/hear the blip. Try downshifting when you are at 4K, you should definitely feel/hear the blip.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:39 PM
cug
Instructor

Is that certain? The (electronic) manual is unclear to me on that. It makes it sound like it would blip on downshifts in Sport mode with or without Sport Chrono. Don't have my car yet to try it out.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Dan Nagy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ATLBond
i do
In SPORT or SPORT+ mode you should be getting the throttle blips when you downshift. There is no rev matching for upshifts since you are going to lower RPMs.
Old 04-18-2017, 02:55 PM
ATLBond
Instructor

In SPORT or SPORT+ mode you should be getting the throttle blips when you downshift. There is no rev matching for upshifts since you are going to lower RPMs.
Thx. Found this video that explains rev matching well
Old 04-18-2017, 02:55 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,015 Posts

Originally Posted by cug
Is that certain? The (electronic) manual is unclear to me on that. It makes it sound like it would blip on downshifts in Sport mode with or without Sport Chrono. Don't have my car yet to try it out.

Yes. He answered the question correctly.

Originally Posted by seattle_sun
I have never felt it rev on upshifting.

It wouldn't really make sense. Going from any gear up, the RPM's will drop.

If you downshift at 3K, you won't really feel/hear the blip. Try downshifting when you are at 4K, you should definitely feel/hear the blip.

I have been told that the rev matching is there on the upshifts but just holds the rpm for a split second and does not blip it. I've tried observing this but it doesn't seem to hold it long if at all.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:16 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Me too--I will claim 44 years, starting in a 5 speed Fiat 124 Spider (that twin cam sure loved to rev).

I worry that auto rev-matching is just the Porsche engineers pushing those of us who rejected the PDK into their direction. Us old timers might also remember the Sportomatic. The driver simply shifted the lever into the desired gear, and the car took care of clutching, etc. No real skill required!
I started in a 914.....all 73 hp and old race shift pattern with first down and left. I do remember the Spotomatic. I think youre right about Porsche engineers. Can't really think of any other reason for it.
I've never heard of th erev match on up shifts. Would help on 1-2 but the rest is butter IMO. Interesting
Old 04-18-2017, 04:33 PM
AFX1
Intermediate

Basic rev matching question ...
I have a basic rev matching question - when I shift from 1st to 2nd in Sport mode, the engine seems to rev up (rev match?) for the shift. I don't notice any rev matching after that whether I am up-shifting to a higher gear (3,4,5,6,7) or down shifting to a lower gear (6,5,4,3,2).

When you are in Sport or Sport+ the engine is set up to be much more responsive. So may I suggest;
Release the clutch accelerating quickly from 1st to 2nd and it is easy for the timing of your left and right foot to be slightly out of sync. If this happens the right foot stays a little longer on the accelerator; release clutch and the engine will blip. Given the high torque load between 1st and 2nd it will be much more noticeable than through other gears.

Quick Reply: Question on Rev Matching