Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I bought a base low option/manual 991.2 last week, as a commuter car.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:52 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 309 Posts
Default I bought a base low option/manual 991.2 last week, as a commuter car.

24 hours into having it someone rear ended me on 95. I was sitting still. It was a 2001 Dodge van. Probably only about 5-10 mph, but it felt like a good hit. The car took it amazingly well. One small protruding vertical section of the bumper, and an exhaust pipe that might be tweaked a 1/4 inch. There was some clicking at the exhaust after it happened, but it seems to have gone away. My favorite cars always seem to have a capacity to heal themselves.

I find it somewhat liberating and might just leave it. It's a car that will be going into NYC daily. Is it crazy not to fix a new car?

Aside from this mishap, I am much impressed by this base engine/car. It's feeling like a really fun setup.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:04 PM
bmedude
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 37 Posts

Dude, you are absolutely nuts for not wanting to fix a brand new car. I really hope the van had insurance. Take the car straight to JB autobody in mount vernon. It is absolutely unacceptable for you to brush this off. A base manual 991.2 is still a 100K+ car.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:59 PM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

I had a very similar experience in my base 991.2a couple of months ago. My car is also my daily driver and I was stopped in a turn lane for several seconds, when I took a thump in the rear. It was snowing and slippery, but I had o trouble stopping with my Pirelli Sottozeros. A Honda CR-V with worn all-season (no-season) tires was not so careful and gave me a minor hit.

The woman driving the CR-V was very apologetic so there was no point in yelling at her. And if you drive a car every day, things will happen and you better be prepared for it.

The damage was minimal with just a couple of scratches in the rear bumper and a wrinkle in one corner of the license plate recess. You bet I had it fixed, at the other driver's expense. It was about $1400, but as bmedude says, it was a new car and in perfect shape. I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:54 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Valvefloat991
I had a very similar experience in my base 991.2a couple of months ago. My car is also my daily driver and I was stopped in a turn lane for several seconds, when I took a thump in the rear. It was snowing and slippery, but I had o trouble stopping with my Pirelli Sottozeros. A Honda CR-V with worn all-season (no-season) tires was not so careful and gave me a minor hit.

The woman driving the CR-V was very apologetic so there was no point in yelling at her. And if you drive a car every day, things will happen and you better be prepared for it.

The damage was minimal with just a couple of scratches in the rear bumper and a wrinkle in one corner of the license plate recess. You bet I had it fixed, at the other driver's expense. It was about $1400, but as bmedude says, it was a new car and in perfect shape. I'd like to keep it that way.
We had a little Toyota bounce off the back of the Diesel before it reached a year old. It left a slight rash on the bumper about 12" wide and 3" high. Fixed at that Toyota owner's expense for $1.800. My wife was driving and felt very bad for the little old lady who failed to slow her car in time...but had no issue collecting from her insurance company.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:03 AM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ceepe
24 hours into having it someone rear ended me on 95. I was sitting still. It was a 2001 Dodge van. Probably only about 5-10 mph, but it felt like a good hit. The car took it amazingly well. One small protruding vertical section of the bumper, and an exhaust pipe that might be tweaked a 1/4 inch. There was some clicking at the exhaust after it happened, but it seems to have gone away. My favorite cars always seem to have a capacity to heal themselves.

I find it somewhat liberating and might just leave it. It's a car that will be going into NYC daily. Is it crazy not to fix a new car?

Aside from this mishap, I am much impressed by this base engine/car. It's feeling like a really fun setup.
Sorry to hear of the mishap. That just stinks to have your new car hit. Where did you get your car? Not many around in CT. Love my new base MT. I considered a low option car, but decided on springing for a few creature comforts. Get that damage repaired, you may be surprised at the cost.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:09 AM
ieatfishburritos
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

fix it
Old 04-15-2017, 01:10 AM
STG
Race Director

Received 200 Likes on 142 Posts

Fix it x 2

Pictures?

Could be damage lurking under the bumper. Bumper flexes a lot.

Did you get the guys insurance info?? Make them pay. Are you nuts?
Old 04-15-2017, 02:05 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Not only should you definitely fix it, but do a search for a thread entitled something like "So You Think It's Just a Simple Bumper Repair' and read it all. Then call a Porsche Certified collision center. Do not take it to someone who doesn't specialize in Porsches and is not certified.
Old 04-15-2017, 03:11 AM
Ed911.2
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Ummm, yes?

I can see where you’re coming from but even though the bumper components are designed to sacrifice themselves to protect the rest of the car, you don’t know the extent of any damage. If, say, part of the suspension has been put badly out of alignment or stressed close to failing, you might leave the road next time you take a bend fast.

For your own safety and for those on the road around you, at least get it professionally checked. A 180mph sports car is a little different to an old pickup...
Old 04-15-2017, 05:51 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,228 Likes on 743 Posts

The "minor" damage you see may be mask the possible major damage you don't see. Get it fixed, have the other insurance company pay for it.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:19 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 603 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Sorry to hear of the mishap. That just stinks to have your new car hit. Where did you get your car? Not many around in CT. Love my new base MT. I considered a low option car, but decided on springing for a few creature comforts. Get that damage repaired, you may be surprised at the cost.
I got this one at New Country, Greenwich. Fairfield had a similarly optioned car. Those were the only two "stripper" examples I found. Thanks for the input guys.

I did make a claim on the driver's insurance. That was a week ago and have not a heard a word. The car and policy seemed a little shady, but the insurance company said it is an active policy. I will check in with them and get it into a shop. I'm less concerned with the bumper mark, but I am concerned about unseen or mechanical damage. Hopefully it won't be too involved.
Old 04-15-2017, 08:47 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 234 Likes on 126 Posts

I applaud your thinking in one way.

I bought a new 2004 Boxster 550 SE, my first "new" Porsche. Took it to work and Day 3 it received a wicked key scratch along the driver's side rear haunch, right behind the door. I was devastated. Who would do such a thing? Envy?

At any rate, I soon realized the car owned me, and if I could get that upset over an act another person could perform on my car with a simple five-second walk-by in the parking lot, I was going to be a miserable person.

So I made a deal with myself to not fix it for one year. Period.

Before long I was utterly oblivious to the scratch. I still washed and polished the car and enjoyed the fool out of it. But I was able to shrug and treat it like a car. Enjoyed beating on it on track, in the mountains, etc.

When the year was up I eventually got it resprayed, but it was nearly at Year 2 before I got around to it.

Obviously, an actual hit with possible structural damage is different, but sounds like you're head's in the right place anyway.
Old 04-15-2017, 09:04 AM
Roosell
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fix. If you want patina, add it yourself. Too many delicate parts under the skin that could be damaged.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:38 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ceepe
I got this one at New Country, Greenwich. Fairfield had a similarly optioned car. Those were the only two "stripper" examples I found. Thanks for the input guys.

I did make a claim on the driver's insurance. That was a week ago and have not a heard a word. The car and policy seemed a little shady, but the insurance company said it is an active policy. I will check in with them and get it into a shop. I'm less concerned with the bumper mark, but I am concerned about unseen or mechanical damage. Hopefully it won't be too involved.
You likely bought the black C2 with glass sunroof, heated steering wheel and seats. Fairfield has a similar car with no heated seats. I was one day away from pulling the trigger on the black C2 in Greenwich. The Fairfield sales team found me a car with a near perfect build for me. I did like that car though. Good luck with the repair.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:21 AM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Not only should you definitely fix it, but do a search for a thread entitled something like "So You Think It's Just a Simple Bumper Repair' and read it all. Then call a Porsche Certified collision center. Do not take it to someone who doesn't specialize in Porsches and is not certified.
+1 - came here to say this

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7603...r-job-huh.html

Quick Reply: I bought a base low option/manual 991.2 last week, as a commuter car.