Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera IPD Plenum testing results

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 02:24 PM
mikex25

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Techart s
What’s your problem ? You can own a Porsche and not be stuck up

This is a discussion about the IPD Plenum not your personal for sales ad.

[/QUOTE]

how am I being stuck up, your being selfish. The boards are for us to talk about our cars and gain knowledge but instead your trying to pawn off your used parts. Use the for sale section, instead of completely jumping off topic and selling parts that doesn’t even pertain to this thread.
Old 02-08-2018, 03:07 PM
RDCR
Rennlist Member

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Techart s
Then I fitted the techart box and that lifted the car to another level ( techart warrant engine problems) !
I cannot find anything on their site showing a warranty if using their tune. Can you post a link that references this warranty?
Old 02-08-2018, 03:52 PM
Techart s
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi give techart in Germany a call they 100% warrant your engine if you fit there powerbox
Originally Posted by RDCR
I cannot find anything on their site showing a warranty if using their tune. Can you post a link that references this warranty?
Old 02-08-2018, 04:28 PM
Techart s
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDCR

Old 02-08-2018, 09:52 PM
Soapman72
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forum etiquette.......lol.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:06 PM
flickroll
Burning Brakes

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts

I bet that is for Europe and not valid in the US.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:07 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Try collecting. Lol.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:26 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for posting runs before and after and highlighting where the gains were made.

Last edited by RRDnA; 02-23-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:57 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,190 Likes on 629 Posts

Nice mid-range improvement. Interested to see what it would do for 991.2 GTS.
The following users liked this post:
ScottpGTS (09-29-2020)
Old 03-28-2018, 12:44 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Ok, I bought the IPD Plenum. It took forever to get here, even after paying extra for shipping. IPD cut a digit off my phone number, so the package was stuck in customs for a week. Finally got an email about an abandoned package.

Paid more money. Waited more time, eventually it showed up. Huge dramas fitting it. IT DOESN'T FIT. It is not direct bold on.

Now my car is a GTS. They sell you one from "The TURBO" and say its the same. They say theirs is identical to the stock one.....Cough Cough. IDENTICAL? lets just disprove that right now shall we?

If you look at the picture that Sticky provided, IPD Plenum has a tube on the Right side sticking straight up in the air. If you look at the Stock Plenum, it has that tube, Exactly in the CENTRE of the plenum, and not off to the right.
Now I can see because of the Y shape, they cannot have the Stick in the centre. So they moved it to the Right. It fouls on a bank of solenoids. What solenoids you ask.....Great questions, the ones that are NOT on "THE TURBO" but are on the 991.2 GTS.

So not only is the IPD not exactly the same as the one coming off, it doesn't bolt straight in. So it took a hell of a lot longer to fit. Things had to be moved!!! My installer said it is still rubbing and after a few years may wear away and cause a hole. So IPD need to retool, and make a small adjustment, to allow it not to foul on the solenoids, that they obviously never knew were there.

For those that do not live in the USA, the cost of this thing just keeps hitting you. By the time you pay exchange rates, shipping, import duty, and then extended fitting because it doesn't bolt straight in, you can double the cost of it.

Did it make a difference.......Yeah. Was it huge? No. Was it there, Yes. I'll be keeping it. If they retool, they should send me a replacement for all the BS I had to go through.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:08 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
Ok, I bought the IPD Plenum. It took forever to get here, even after paying extra for shipping. IPD cut a digit off my phone number, so the package was stuck in customs for a week. Finally got an email about an abandoned package.

Paid more money. Waited more time, eventually it showed up. Huge dramas fitting it. IT DOESN'T FIT. It is not direct bold on.

Now my car is a GTS. They sell you one from "The TURBO" and say its the same. They say theirs is identical to the stock one.....Cough Cough. IDENTICAL? lets just disprove that right now shall we?

If you look at the picture that Sticky provided, IPD Plenum has a tube on the Right side sticking straight up in the air. If you look at the Stock Plenum, it has that tube, Exactly in the CENTRE of the plenum, and not off to the right.
Now I can see because of the Y shape, they cannot have the Stick in the centre. So they moved it to the Right. It fouls on a bank of solenoids. What solenoids you ask.....Great questions, the ones that are NOT on "THE TURBO" but are on the 991.2 GTS.

So not only is the IPD not exactly the same as the one coming off, it doesn't bolt straight in. So it took a hell of a lot longer to fit. Things had to be moved!!! My installer said it is still rubbing and after a few years may wear away and cause a hole. So IPD need to retool, and make a small adjustment, to allow it not to foul on the solenoids, that they obviously never knew were there.

For those that do not live in the USA, the cost of this thing just keeps hitting you. By the time you pay exchange rates, shipping, import duty, and then extended fitting because it doesn't bolt straight in, you can double the cost of it.

Did it make a difference.......Yeah. Was it huge? No. Was it there, Yes. I'll be keeping it. If they retool, they should send me a replacement for all the BS I had to go through.
Sorry to hear this, wouldn't expect these issues to surface on a platform like this.

Besides the fitment and the shipping hassle, can you go into more detail on the differences you noticed?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:13 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nino
Sorry to hear this, wouldn't expect these issues to surface on a platform like this.

Besides the fitment and the shipping hassle, can you go into more detail on the differences you noticed?

I go roll racing, and happy laps. You race on the straights, and behave a little bit around the corners. There were a couple of cars that were very close, but beat me, before the plenum.
After the plenum, I won consistently. Not very scientific, but I am not here to sell IPD plenums. I tried to do a before dyno. The car heat soaked so badly, it put down poor power. They only had one fan on the front.
I see guys in the states, with front and back and two on the sides. So no dyno sorry. But I did beat a lot of cars. Some that I hadn't beaten before, So I am happy that it has made a difference.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:19 AM
LavaGTS
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good enough explanation for me.. Have you done any 1/4 mile drags?
Old 03-28-2018, 01:23 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nino
Good enough explanation for me.. Have you done any 1/4 mile drags?
Not yet, but I will get out there. I really don't like the Pirelli tyres. I will do a few skid pan days, to shorten their lifespan. Then put Cup2's on it.
This car is exceptional. Everyone misses the article that said it matched the time of a 991.1 GT3 RS at the ring, just by putting decent tyres on it. (Corsa) I will go Cup2.

Not special aero, no special suspension, no track weapon, just tyres and it matches GT3 RS. (point 1) Boost is the way of the future.

Image this tunes, headers, akra cats and exhaust, and Ohlins, it would destroy even the point 2 RS.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:12 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A 20 hp/tq gain with a simple plenum replacement sounds like "low-hanging fruit". You'd think Porsche would have thought of this "laminar flow trick" all on their own, or at least checked it out. Maybe they did, and found no benefit. Are we really supposed to believe that Porsche designs these beautiful engines, but has absolutely no clue when it comes to designing a plenum? Sorry, just a bit skeptical...

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera IPD Plenum testing results