Sponsored by:

Windshield rock strikes on dashcam

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 10:37 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 664 Likes on 357 Posts
Default Windshield rock strikes on dashcam

Yesterday morning my dashcam picked up a couple of big rock strikes out on the freeway. At least I have the license number of the truck in case the insurance company would like it.

I'm a bit wary of replacement for two reasons: One, I have PDLS+ so I have both the camera and the rain sensor in the windshield along with the antennas and I worry about the repair guys screwing up the remount of those. Two, it's not clear to me have much I can insist of having insurance provide top-quality replacement glass.

Maybe I should just pay for a replacement myself and get it done right? What experience can you guys share, especially with regard to working with the electronics on the windshield? This is a new experience for me.

Here are some stills and a link to the video. The first one seem to have bounced off the center divider. When I trace it as far back as possible you can see it rising from that area in a ballistic trajectory which gives it a pretty good impact and an almost 90 degree impact creating quite the bullseye. If nothing else, you might find it interesting how far out the dashcam managed to pick up the rock. I can count 26 frames of seeing it incoming, or roughly 100 feet at 70mph.

The first impact is at 7 seconds in, the second is at 32 seconds in and is harder to see unless single-stepped.

Last edited by StormRune; 04-14-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:48 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,116 Likes on 666 Posts

I've had my fair share of such hits - I try to stay on parkways instead of expressways if I can to stay out of the path of trucks and the crap they shoot out. If I have no choice, I try to pass quickly or stay way behind.

As for the windshield, I have a bunch of road rash and chips. I'd wait on replacing windshield, but if the chips are big enough, you can get them fixed individually with resin. Depending on how good the windshield guy is at injecting resin, such repairs can be pretty decent.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:49 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

In SC windshield coverage is mandatory for insurance companies and repair or replace is determined by the location and severity of the chip. Damage in front of driver's vision is must replace. The last time it happened to me with Mercury SUV I got on the cell phone with State Farm and they had a house visit arranged with a windshield repair company while I was still on the phone.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:03 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Porsche_nuts
I've had my fair share of such hits - I try to stay on parkways instead of expressways if I can to stay out of the path of trucks and the crap they shoot out. If I have no choice, I try to pass quickly or stay way behind....
I appreciate the advice. On trying to get by quickly: If you look at the single frame excerpt here from the video just as I'm passing the truck, you'll see why I didn't rush by or take more aggressive evasion . The police SUV was sitting on the shoulder running radar that I'd picked up some distance earlier. Just bad timing I guess:

Last edited by StormRune; 04-14-2017 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:09 AM
Ski Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 73 Posts

My windshield took a rock strike that became a long crack by the next morning in the first 60 days. I contacted my dealer to see if they did replacements (the M-B dealer used to). They don't but gave the name of the mobile glass guys they use. The glass company asked about options and ordered a windshield from Porsche. The installation went perfectly and looks as new.
Old 04-14-2017, 11:17 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

That stinks! Some Insurance companies push for generic windshields if the car is older than 4 or 5 years old. You have push for original equipment. They don't like it. My buddy had his s600 windshield replaced at 2k because of the sensors. Have a rock free weekend..
Old 04-14-2017, 01:00 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Okay, thanks for the advice guys. My policy wording doesn't make it very clear as to what the rules are. I'll be sure to push for OE.

Last edited by StormRune; 04-14-2017 at 02:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Windshield rock strikes on dashcam