Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have You Read Your Porsche Lease Contract?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:24 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Received 717 Likes on 498 Posts
Default Have You Read Your Porsche Lease Contract?

I don't know if this applies in the US, but in Canada, if you lease a Porsche, you are restricted in who can "operate" the car. Only you and your spouse are allowed to drive the car and if someone else is allowed to drive it, you are in default of the lease contract.

Has anyone who is leasing ever considered this? Do you still let anyone else drive your leased car?

It wouldn't be too concerning, but there may be insurance coverage consequences if you let someone drive the car where the contract prohibits it. So if I let my sister take the car to the local mall I'm in default and the may not have insurance!

What about if the dealership sends someone to pick up the car for service? By the terms of the contract, it isn't allowed and you'd be in default.

What do you think about this?
Old 04-13-2017, 04:49 PM
kayjh
Drifting

Spoke to my insurance company. They said from an insurance perspective they don't care what the lease agreement says. As long as I place the proper insurance on the car and it is being driven by a licensed driver, the car has insurance coverage. What remedies Porsche might want to pursue if they see my brother driving the car is separate from insurance and good luck to them.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:26 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

At the end of the day, a lease is no different from going to the Enterprise lot at the airport and signing the usual paperwork. It's not "your" car, it's just another rental. And if anything goes wrong, the people whose car it is won't let you forget it.

I guess they don't make you bring it back full of gas, so there's that.
Old 04-14-2017, 10:09 AM
kayjh
Drifting

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
At the end of the day, a lease is no different from going to the Enterprise lot at the airport and signing the usual paperwork. It's not "your" car, it's just another rental. And if anything goes wrong, the people whose car it is won't let you forget it.

I guess they don't make you bring it back full of gas, so there's that.
Still, at the end of 3 years it's nice to know that your depreciation cost is fixed in advance and if someone hits your car, the manufacturer will be eating the diminished value. Having said the, you are right, it's a long term rental, but given my insurance company says any licensed driver getting behind the wheel is insured, I'm not worried about it.

I thought others might be interested in the point. At my dealship, I was told that aside from the Asian students getting cas (they have to purchase because they can't get financing), 70% of the customers are leasing/financing and are subject to Porsche Financial rules. Not sure what happens in your area, but for most people, some sort of financing is involved, which means someone else has a registration on "your" car.

Quick Reply: Have You Read Your Porsche Lease Contract?