Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Stupid Economist Article

This is may be the dumbest article I've ever seen in the economist:

http://www.economist.com/news/briefi...d-urban-sprawl

They're completely ignoring the economic costs of lost time spent travelling day to day distances in other than the quickest manner, which is driving directly from one point to another. In a few megacities like New York or London of course, there is the requisite density for other modes of travel to compare, but most places in the world are simply not that way.

They're ignoring the flexibility of commuting by car to move workplaces quickly and easily without moving residence, so people are better able to change jobs to where they are most economically productive.

When they talk about above-ground car parks raising the cost of a mall in LA by 68% and an above-ground lot raising it by underground ones by 98%, they're completely ignoring the fact that without the convenience of adequate parking, the mall would lose all of it's customers to Amazon and go out of business. So parking doesn't "raise" the cost of the mall, it's just the cost of doing business.

When they disparage rules requiring developers to put in a certain number of spaces, they're forgetting that those rules are put in place to eliminate the free-rider problem: if only one commercial pr residential property developer skimps on parking, their customers can simply use the neighboring ones. If one business wants to provide free parking without hassles like meters or parking passes, they're out of luck if all the adjoining ones charge.

I get it, if you live in New York or London, you think nobody else needs a car because you don't. Many of us think those places are miserable though, and they shouldn't be telling the rest of us how to live.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:43 AM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
This is may be the dumbest article I've ever seen in the economist:

http://www.economist.com/news/briefi...d-urban-sprawl

They're completely ignoring the economic costs of lost time spent travelling day to day distances in other than the quickest manner, which is driving directly from one point to another. In a few megacities like New York or London of course, there is the requisite density for other modes of travel to compare, but most places in the world are simply not that way.

They're ignoring the flexibility of commuting by car to move workplaces quickly and easily without moving residence, so people are better able to change jobs to where they are most economically productive.

When they talk about above-ground car parks raising the cost of a mall in LA by 68% and an above-ground lot raising it by underground ones by 98%, they're completely ignoring the fact that without the convenience of adequate parking, the mall would lose all of it's customers to Amazon and go out of business. So parking doesn't "raise" the cost of the mall, it's just the cost of doing business.

When they disparage rules requiring developers to put in a certain number of spaces, they're forgetting that those rules are put in place to eliminate the free-rider problem: if only one commercial pr residential property developer skimps on parking, their customers can simply use the neighboring ones. If one business wants to provide free parking without hassles like meters or parking passes, they're out of luck if all the adjoining ones charge.

I get it, if you live in New York or London, you think nobody else needs a car because you don't. Many of us think those places are miserable though, and they shouldn't be telling the rest of us how to live.
Whatever, I think it brings up some interesting points. I'm all for allowing user fees for what people consider things that are free, like parking spaces and highways. If you can't afford it too bad and get out of my way.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:31 AM
cug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love if there were regulations in place to actually incentivize people to use alternative modes of transport for their daily commute instead of promoting the inefficient use of private vehicles for the repetitive drive everyday.

And I'm actually affected by that as I live in that area the article talks about and see day in day out how horrible traffic has become over the last 10 years. And it was bad to begin with.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This article ignores so much - its pretty facile. Perhaps the author should speak to a mother/father who may have to transport three kids to two different schools, in two different areas and then get to work.

Or the Uni student who, when using public transport, takes two hours to get to campus - In sharp relief, in her car, she can get there in 20 minutes.

Or the low income earner who has no choice but to live in the outer reaches of a city.

Or .......I can go on and on

City planning has become a disaster due to many factors - perhaps, the biggest self inflicted head shot is the failure of governments to execute plans (often developed decades ago) for the development of road and rail infrastructure and the subsequent sell off of easements that were put in place for that very purpose. Moreover, where plans are executed the Project Management by government agencies is often so dire that budget blow out etc etc.

Proper Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance - the famous six p's - there are many reasons why Economics is known as the dismal science.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:10 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cug
I'd love if there were regulations in place to actually incentivize people to use alternative modes of transport for their daily commute instead of promoting the inefficient use of private vehicles for the repetitive drive everyday.

there are its called taxes...
Old 04-13-2017, 01:39 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by KenTO
Whatever, I think it brings up some interesting points. I'm all for allowing user fees for what people consider things that are free, like parking spaces and highways. If you can't afford it too bad and get out of my way.
We all pay these fees.... i.e. taxes. Taxes are already so far out of hand in this country due to ridiculous overspending and out of control government.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:37 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by R_Rated
We all pay these fees.... i.e. taxes. Taxes are already so far out of hand in this country due to ridiculous overspending and out of control government.
Yes absolutely. I don't like the common libertarian arguments that the government should stop working on the roads and infrastructure and let private companies step in, we pay way more than enough in taxes for the government to pay for these things that are used by so many people that it's hard to efficiently collect via per-use charges. They just need to stop wasting it.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:29 PM
cug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kosmo
there are its called taxes...
BS. Incentives are better bike paths, a workable public transport system, discouraging of massive individual vehicles for single person transport etc.

You need positive encouragement, not just collect money and then spend it on the wrong thing.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:13 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

(Shrug) Self-driving cars will fix this problem before long, or at least, they'll fix it on a timescale comparable to that required for the massive shifts in urban planning policy that the article calls for. They will park themselves where it makes sense to park, maybe several miles away, and appear when called. Individual parking lots and garages are ultimately a waste of perfectly good commercial real estate.

It's like PETA complaining about cruelty to farm animals. Soon enough, meat will be grown in vats with no live animals involved, and the whole argument will simply go away.

In the meantime, I'm sure glad I work at home.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:22 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
(Shrug) Self-driving cars will fix this problem before long, or at least, they'll fix it on a timescale comparable to that required for the massive shifts in urban planning policy that the article calls for. They will park themselves where it makes sense to park, maybe several miles away, and appear when called. Individual parking lots and garages are ultimately a waste of perfectly good commercial real estate.
As that happens though, things will get much worse for car enthusiasts who don't have the means to buy multi-million dollar mansions though.

We occupy one bedroom of a three bedroom house, and have four cars to try to shuffle around because they only thought to put in a two car garage and no reserved outdoor spaces. Like god forbid anyone would ever have one or more cars per person. Pretty soon all the developements for the non-rich will be like "oh you don't need a place for a car. Just call a self driving Uber".
Old 04-14-2017, 12:22 AM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Dewinator
As that happens though, things will get much worse for car enthusiasts who don't have the means to buy multi-million dollar mansions though.

We occupy one bedroom of a three bedroom house, and have four cars to try to shuffle around because they only thought to put in a two car garage and no reserved outdoor spaces. Like god forbid anyone would ever have one or more cars per person. Pretty soon all the developements for the non-rich will be like "oh you don't need a place for a car. Just call a self driving Uber".
The non-rich won't want to own their own cars. There won't be much point.
Old 04-14-2017, 03:12 AM
randr
Banned

Originally Posted by cug
BS. Incentives are better bike paths, a workable public transport system, discouraging of massive individual vehicles for single person transport etc.

You need positive encouragement, not just collect money and then spend it on the wrong thing.
Better bike paths? How do you take your kids to preschool/school? How do you get to 5 or 6 business meetings in a day?

Incentives ahh yes, the Progressive agenda - what you're tying to say is "we will tax high income earners even more and redistribute the wealth to others as incentives. We will build more largely useless bike paths and waste more money on unworkable public transports systems"

Incentives are extrinsic motivators - they have a short shelf life and don't work. Practical solutions work - thus if you have a car, you use it to transport the kids to school and then go to work - its more effective than anything else - thats why people do it.
Old 04-14-2017, 08:47 AM
NoGaBiker
Drifting

Received 228 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Stupid Economist Article

Oh... Thought this was going to be about J.M. Keynes.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:43 AM
randr
Banned

I wish
Old 04-14-2017, 12:06 PM
Dewinator
Drifting

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
The non-rich won't want to own their own cars. There won't be much point.
So... you have to be rich to have pastimes unrelated to basic needs now? That may have been true in the 19th century...

Quick Reply: Stupid Economist Article