Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My GTS! @ NY Intl Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2017, 03:07 AM
satoru
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

for the first few pics i thought your car was gonna b a GTS color swatch...
Old 04-14-2017, 10:54 AM
pashaj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since it was one of that last things I saw last night I ended up dreaming of Plenums car, and putting a wrap on my car. Also had the desire to play Twister all of a sudden.
Old 04-14-2017, 12:31 PM
Bossing
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 45 Posts

Hey Jon! I like the accessories....

Old 04-14-2017, 01:05 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by satoru
for the first few pics i thought your car was gonna b a GTS color swatch...
LOL. Yes, it IS! I was told for the start of the show my car might be a 3M Color Wheel. 3M donated all of the vinyl materials for the show so (BIG shout-out to them!!!) least I could do is let them showcase some of their new colors. I heard through Matt that 3M was thrilled and doing a ton of pics of the car... This wont be the final design on my car. I still don't know what Matt has in mind -- I kinda just told him he has free creative license....
Old 04-14-2017, 01:06 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bossing
Hey Jon! I like the accessories....

How'd that happen???
Old 04-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,117 Likes on 666 Posts

Looks like you're going to be driving home a car advertising 3M Clear Bra products. Be awesome if you could drive the model home too!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:54 AM
plenum
Burning Brakes

After-Show Update!

I brought my car home from the NYIAS Sunday night, and put together a short video showing the 3M "color wheel" vinyl that I drove home with! That along with the supercarsgarage.com racing design down one side and I did get a lot of attention on the drive home! LOL. No, this isn't the final wrap design -- I'll be working with Matt Clark on a final full-car wrap design over the next week or two... Until we have that finalized I'll be driving my GTS around as a billboard!

Anyway - check out the short video I put together talking about the show, the colors on my car, and some "lessons-learned" from having a car in a show where 1,000's of people come in contact with your ride....

Old 04-26-2017, 08:33 AM
spiderv6
Drifting

Received 265 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by plenum
After-Show Update!

I brought my car home from the NYIAS Sunday night, and put together a short video showing the 3M "color wheel" vinyl that I drove home with! That along with the supercarsgarage.com racing design down one side and I did get a lot of attention on the drive home! LOL. No, this isn't the final wrap design -- I'll be working with Matt Clark on a final full-car wrap design over the next week or two... Until we have that finalized I'll be driving my GTS around as a billboard!

Anyway - check out the short video I put together talking about the show, the colors on my car, and some "lessons-learned" from having a car in a show where 1,000's of people come in contact with your ride....

Brave man! Not sure I would have slept for two weeks....can't imagine not baby sitting the car every second. You have nerves of steel

Quite sure I would have stipulated a full detail of the car afterwards as well.

Look forward to see the final wrap.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:12 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 139 Posts

The gloss flip deep space color it's sweet.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:43 PM
R_Rated
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

What does a full color change wrap go for nowadays?

I'm interested but very scared since I had such a bad experience getting Xpel installed.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:52 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Brave man x 2

Amazing that these films now have such a selection of colors. Even with metal flake too. Pretty cool.
Old 04-26-2017, 01:26 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by R_Rated
What does a full color change wrap go for nowadays?

I'm interested but very scared since I had such a bad experience getting Xpel installed.
Hi- To answer your question about cost you have to consider the following:

1) Material (quantity as well as vendor/quality)
2) Complexity (single color change vs. full design)
3) Installer

And possibly even location has an impact on the price.

For #1, the material for a single color change on a 991 shouldn't cost $1k US (again, there is cheap stuff out there, as well as overpriced material...). For #2, consider that typically you are paying for materials + hourly rate for the job. But how many hours it will take comes down to the installer, which is also #3. Complexity will include the design and color choice (chrome vinyls, textures, and so on may increase install time) as well as how difficult or time-consuming it is to disassemble car bits such as door handles, bumper covers, lights, and so on. Example - an installer who has never worked on a 991 before will take longer than someone who has done many 991s... But even then, someone like Matt Clark who has done many complex designs on P-cars over the years may also spend 60-80 hours on a single job. But he is very focused on the quality where you may have other installers who move faster.

All that being said, you should be in the $3-4K range for simple color change and $10k+ for complex or printed designs that require overlays and so on.... What do I know though as I don't do this for a living....!

As for your concerns about having it done due to bad experience with PPF - can't help you there. I know it happens, and I've personally seen bad wrap jobs on Ferraris and Lambos that I am sure cost a lot of money..... But my own general experience has been that being educated about the process and having a good relationship with the installer (trust and all that!) goes a very long way in being a satisfied consumer when the job is done. And I would suggest strongly NOT to try to do this on the cheap. YMMV of course!

Quick Reply: My GTS! @ NY Intl Auto Show